Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low-end VPS for OpenVPN required
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low-end VPS for OpenVPN required

Hello everyone !
I am looking for a low end OpenVZ VPS, 96-128 mb RAM will be enough.
I will just install OpenVPN on it & just use it personally, so no abusing of CPU resources.
I will prefer location outside of US & UK like Netherland, Germany or Italy etc.
My budget is closed to 1$/month & i can not pay on yearly basis.
Please offer me something which will be better for me.
Thank you !

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

LES, it's yearly but come on, 3 euro!

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • @netomx said:

This. You'll get a shared IP though.

• marcmmarcm Member

I've seen requests like these a few times, and I'd like to say that this is LowEndTalk and not PoorEndTalk. My heart aches when people can afford to pay for allot of other crap, yet they're not willing to pay anything for hosting. There are so many decent lost cost alternative (cough vultr.com cough) and others, that asking to pay any less is borderline insulting.

However here is an idea: if you're so inclined to want a freebie, then get together with a few of your friends, lease a dedicated server, partition it out and sell hosting with the rest of it. You'll have your free VPS in no time.

• marcm said: I've seen requests like these a few times, and I'd like to say that this is LowEndTalk and not PoorEndTalk. My heart aches when people can afford to pay for allot of other crap, yet they're not willing to pay anything for hosting. There are so many decent lost cost alternative (cough vultr.com cough) and others, that asking to pay any less is borderline insulting.

However here is an idea: if you're so inclined to want a freebie, then get together with a few of your friends, lease a dedicated server, partition it out and sell hosting with the rest of it. You'll have your free VPS in no time.

So what? Let it happen. If some provider truly wants to enter an ultra-cheap market and provide this kind of server for this budget, let them. It doesn't mean you have to provide it just because some asks. If no one is willing, then it simply won't happen.

• SadySady Member

@netomx said:

Can you please give me some more details ?
    Where does those servers located ?

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited March 2014

StephenIzzy said: Where does those servers located ?

http://lowendspirit.com/locations.html

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

marcm said: I've seen requests like these a few times, and I'd like to say that this is LowEndTalk and not PoorEndTalk. My heart aches when people can afford to pay for allot of other crap, yet they're not willing to pay anything for hosting. There are so many decent lost cost alternative (cough vultr.com cough) and others, that asking to pay any less is borderline insulting.

In all fairness, whilst some providers are regularly offering plans at $0.50/month yearly, can you blame anyone for asking for $1 a month plans? It's not exactly unreasonable given the current state of offers round these parts.

• SadySady Member

Is it contain a static IPv4 ?
    I don't think it contain. Please confirm it.

• StephenIzzy said: Is it contain a static IPv4 ? I don't think it contain. Please confirm it.

Nope. You get shared ip with 20 (iirc) ports. You can use that for OpenVPN though.

• SadySady Member

Still looking for one,
    Can increase my budget to $2/month,
    But strictly looking for a VPS on monthly billing cycle.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited May 2014

@marcm said:
    I've seen requests like these a few times, and I'd like to say that this is LowEndTalk and not PoorEndTalk. My heart aches when people can afford to pay for allot of other crap, yet they're not willing to pay anything for hosting. There are so many decent lost cost alternative (cough vultr.com cough) and others, that asking to pay any less is borderline insulting.

I'm collecting bets on whether or not by the end of this thread, someone will go register the domain for PoorEndTalk and redirect the URL to LowEndTalk.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • mrcbrownmrcbrown Member
    edited May 2014

Ramnode (www.ramnode.com) has service in the netherlands, yearly up front but comes down to $2/month and a install for Turnkey OpenVPN.

• StephenIzzy said: Is it contain a static IPv4 ? I don't think it contain. Please confirm it.

Yes it has a static IPv4, it's just shared with all the other VPSs. It'll work as usual for OpenVPN.

You also get 5 dedicated IPv6 addresses that are only mapped to your VPS.

• SadySady Member
    edited May 2014

@mrcbrown said:
    Ramnode (www.ramnode.com) has service in the netherlands, yearly up front but comes down to $2/month and a install for Turnkey OpenVPN.

Ramnode is best bet for me,
    But unfortunately they are not offering lowest plan on monthly billing cycle.

• SadySady Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    You also get 5 dedicated IPv6 addresses that are only mapped to your VPS.<

Will it affect OpenVPN ?
    May i have any downtime etc ? I just want to host a personal OpenVPN box there.

• Cheaper than most VPN options you can get out on the web, plus gives you full control, I have mine all setup and running on my laptop and cellphone when working from internet hotspots - worth the money up front - plus use coupon code NUMBERONE and you could get a bit more savings as they are a top provider (http://lowendbox.com/blog/top-provider-poll-2014-q1-the-results/) - I'd say take the plunge and skip a coffee each month and you're set!

• StephenIzzy said: Will it affect OpenVPN ? May i have any downtime etc ? I just want to host a personal OpenVPN box there.

No, it's basically the same as any other VPS except you have a shared IP (v4) address. So like how your phone and your computer probably have the same IP to the outside world when you're in the house because they're both connected to the same router.

• SadySady Member

@mrcbrown said:
    Cheaper than most VPN options you can get out on the web, plus gives you full control, I have mine all setup and running on my laptop and cellphone when working from internet hotspots - worth the money up front - plus use coupon code NUMBERONE and you could get a bit more savings as they are a top provider (http://lowendbox.com/blog/top-provider-poll-2014-q1-the-results/) - I'd say take the plunge and skip a coffee each month and you're set!

What are you recommending me ?
    There is no VPS provider on that page offering the package as per as my needs.
    Please take a look at my needs.

• SadySady Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    No, it's basically the same as any other VPS except you have a shared IP (v4) address. So like how your phone and your computer probably have the same IP to the outside world when you're in the house because they're both connected to the same router.

Thank you so much AThomasHowe,
    I have sent owner a message whether can he provide me a VPS on italy or i have to take one at netherlands :D

• StephenIzzy said: Thank you so much AThomasHowe, I have sent owner a message whether can he provide me a VPS on italy or i have to take one at netherlands :D

No problem, hope you're happy with it. I think the Itay node is restocking mid-late this month (source).

• SadySady Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    No problem, hope you're happy with it. I think the Itay node is restocking mid-late this month (source).

Thats great,
    He said that it will be in mid may :)
    So i am waiting for that now :)
    Thank you so much for your help. It is really appreciated.

• @StephenIzzy said:
    Please take a look at my needs.

Just trying to give you options to stretch the budget a bit 42% off would knock it down a bit, just making sure you knew the full set of options. good company just giving them a nod nothing more - to each their own. best of luck getting something sorted out.

• les is good but if op wants a dedicated ipv4 then for $5-10/yr you can get 128 from 123sysyems/bandwagonhost/vpsdime

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited May 2014

There's simply no point in accepting a tiny payment such as this.

For example, with PayPal:

• $7 == $0.30 + 5.9% (international sales) = $0.71 FEE (10%)
    • $6 == $0.30 + 5.9% (international sales) = $0.65 FEE (11%)
    • $5 == $0.30 + 5.9% (international sales) = $0.60 FEE (12%)
    • $4 == $0.30 + 5.9% (international sales) = $0.54 FEE (14%)
    • $3 == $0.30 + 5.9% (international sales) = $0.48 FEE (16%)
    • $2 == $0.30 + 5.9% (international sales) = $0.42 FEE (21% !)
    • $1 == $0.30 + 5.9% (international sales) = $0.36 FEE (36% !!!)

And what you were asking in specific...

• $0.50 == $0.30 + 5.9% (international sales) = $0.33 FEE (66% !!!)

As you can see, the lower end (below $3) makes no sense to accept.

Stripe (the Credit Card processor GoodHosting uses) has far less fees. Bitcoins in general have an exponentially smaller fee than both options. However, PayPal is the "norm" around here it would seem (sadly.)

Thanked by 1Scion
  • sirmbhesirmbhe Member

$1/month are a litle too low i think. Add a litle more, and you will get some option. It will be better if you pay yearly. Bandwagonhost, are my choice

• SadySady Member

Still looking for one,
    Dedicate IPv4, Monthly billing cycle $2.01</month.
    Let me know if you can offer something in offshore location.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Buy the 2.99 year and that's it

• SadySady Member

@netomx said:
    Buy the 2.99 year and that's it

From where ? :o
    Is someone providing that with dedicated IPv4 ?

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2014

@StephenIzzy said:
    Is someone providing that with dedicated IPv4 ?

There was an offer here yesterday from @dcc with 4 IPv4 addresses for $3 a year. I think everyone went mental buying them as stock was gone in about an hour, but I think they're planning more, although it has to be said it's described as unstable and unsupported, so if it's vital you have VPN access they might not be the best choice.

Otherwise, if your VPN usage is just occasional, have you considering throwing some credit to someone like DO or Vultr and just spinning up an OpenVPN template in the location you want as and when you need it?