Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Source Xen VM Control Panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open Source Xen VM Control Panel

As a continuation on from ServerCtrl I have decided to start work on a custom control panel for my own private hosting customers, this is to serve as a lightweight alternative to SolusVM and many other control panels. Obviously this will not stack up in features currently since it only supports the Xen hypervisor and in it's initial pre-alpha state it currently only has functions for user management, assigning VMs to users, booting, shutting down and destroying VMs.

This is under active development and I hope to have a fully functioning Xen control panel with integrated automatic billing and invoice generation (cost will update as users add/remove VMs (semi-cloud type of thing)).

In its current state I would definitely not recommend it's use commercially, however to manage your own VMs it will function sufficiently.

As for the technology stack, it is built using Ruby and Sinatra (more efficient than Rails) and uses Puma for a production web server and Shotgun for a development web server. Oh and currently, for development and since my own customers all have twitter accounts it uses Twitter for user authentication.

It is being released as OSS under the MIT License so feel free to fork it, contribute to it and make use of it how you will. Screenshots and a Github link will follow. All installation instructions are included in the Github project.

Github: https://github.com/will3942/xen-control-panel

Any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated! Please note however this is a personal project so any issues or support may be delayed.

Thanked by 30xdragon Liam Infinity

Comments

• @definedcode - Going to give it ago.

• @definedcode

Good job! ^^ I hope you have success with this in the future. :)

• That is awesome. Thanks for coding and sharing!

• @LowEND said:
    definedcode - Going to give it ago.

Hopefully it all goes well :-)

@pbalazs123 said:
    definedcode

Good job! ^^ I hope you have success with this in the future. :)

Thanks!

@0xdragon said:
    That is awesome. Thanks for coding and sharing!

I would have liked to have shared it when it was more feature-packed but if I can gain some feedback from here then it'll be easier to change now than later. And of course I want people to be able to use it straight away!

• It llooks great, simple and easy. Plus it's opensource.

• Good job. will KVM added later?

• @catding said:
    Good job. will KVM added later?

KVM has lot of decent panels which support it alreadt e.g HostGuard, Feathur, SolusVM, etc. We need good panels for XEN

• @ksubedi said:
    It llooks great, simple and easy. Plus it's opensource.

Thanks!

@catding said:
    Good job. will KVM added later?

Possibly, I've not thought of it yet but because it is open source you can always adjust it to be suited to KVM.

• @Liam said:
    Really cool. Good job as usual! I don't know how you find the time for these projects. If I have the time, I will test it this weekend for you and give some better feedback.

As a side note: I don't think I've seen a panel written in Ruby before. Nice and clean compared with PHP.

Thanks Liam! I have too much time haha, yeah Ruby is very nice to work with.

As a side note I forgot to mention this currently just supports the xm toolstack but I'll be integrating support for the xl toolstack very soon.