Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any blocked.com alternative?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any blocked.com alternative?

tr1ckytr1cky Member

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone of you knows a blocked.com alternative with lower prices. I'm not able to spend 499$ for it and the free plan isn't of any use for me.

Regards

tr1cky

Comments

• if i may ask what is wrong with the proxy for what your doing dont get me wrong not everyone wants there users hidding in the shadows if you know what i mean but maybe if we know exactly what part of blocked.com features you need it could be easier.

• I basically want to block dc ips in certain situations, they wouldn't be blocked all the time, but if some events get triggered.

• You can probably do this yourself with relative ease :)

• blackblack Member

@0xdragon said:
    You can probably do this yourself with relative ease :)

How?

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

I wrote a really simple WHMCS hook that uses Maxmind's Proxy/VPN database and it's pretty accurate. The only downside is you can't use their free minFraud service so you have to purchase the checks ($5 per 1000).

If you want, I can adjust the code to your needs if you give me some more details.

• blackblack Member

@KuJoe said:
    I wrote a really simple WHMCS hook that uses Maxmind's Proxy/VPN database and it's pretty accurate. The only downside is you can't use their free minFraud service so you have to purchase the checks ($5 per 1000).

If you want, I can adjust the code to your needs if you give me some more details.

$5 for 1k requests is kind of expensive. Blocked allows 10k / day.

• Have you had a look at ZB Block? With a bit of massaging it could probably do the job you describe. http://www.spambotsecurity.com/zbblock.php

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

www.blocked.com is protected by Blocked.com.

Blocked is security software which protects websites and empowers webmasters to stop unwanted traffic.

Your request was blocked because you appear to be accessing this website from a hosting provider network, proxy server, or VPN server.

Funny, I couldn't even buy from them if I wanted.

edited June 2014

black said: $5 for 1k requests is kind of expensive. Blocked allows 10k / day.

$5 is cheaper than $499. ;)

We looked at Blocked a while back when the owner was hosted with us and offered us a really nice discount (I wish we took him up on his offer) but since we don't want to spend almost $500 for something we can do for $5, I built an alternative. I also like that our script doesn't block them from visiting our website, just blocks then from ordering and gives them a friendly message to disable their VPN/Proxy.

Assuming you used 1000 lookups per month, at $5 a month you have over 8 years of lookups for the same price as Blocked and you can use the lookups for Maxmind's other services besides proxy/VPN checks.

Thanked by 2netomx Mark_R
  • blackblack Member

KuJoe said: Assuming you used 1000 lookups per month, at $5 a month you have over 8 years of lookups for the same price as Blocked and you can use the lookups for Maxmind's other services besides proxy/VPN checks.

That's true, it's up to how much lookups that's needed. Unfortunately for me, blocked comes out cheaper after about a month of use.

• I used to use http://lookupffs.com and a custom script to detect users signing up with a VPN when i was running my free host.

• KuJoe said: If you want, I can adjust the code to your needs if you give me some more details.

GitHub? ;)

• Block proxies
    Block anonymity networks
    Block bad bots and scrapers
    Block entire countries
    Block by user language

all this can be so easily done with cloudflare and php..

doughmanes said: GitHub? ;)

I was actually looking into this after I posted my reply above. I have quite a few custom scripts, hooks, addons, and other stuff I've been wanting to release publicly.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • blackblack Member

@Sherlock said:

Block proxies
    Block anonymity networks
    Block bad bots and scrapers
    Block entire countries
    Block by user language

all this can be so easily done with cloudflare and php..

Do you have any examples working of it? From what I know, even on a proxy, you just have to bypass cloudflare's browser check or type in a captcha (which you can do by opening a normal browser and typing in a captcha).

• @black said:
    Do you have any examples working of it? From what I know, even on a proxy, you just have to bypass cloudflare's browser check or type in a captcha (which you can do by opening a normal browser and typing in a captcha).

Focus on the word "PHP".. proxies can be so easily blocked

• blackblack Member

@Sherlock said:
    Focus on the word "PHP".. proxies can be so easily blocked

What do you mean? By looking at HTTP headers?

• @black said:
    What do you mean? By looking at HTTP headers?

yup, if you know the right thing to look for

• blackblack Member

@Sherlock said:
    yup, if you know the right thing to look for

Can you be more specific? If you're talking any RFC specific standards, not all proxies have to implement them or announce that it's a proxy server.

Sherlock said: proxies can be so easily blocked

He also wants to block VPNs and remote desktop sessions which are much harder to detect.

• RBHRBH Member

I believe I have a blocked.com link that I can get you the license for around $20. PM me if interested I will look for it.

• CakeyCakey Member

@RBH said:
    I believe I have a blocked.com link that I can get you the license for around $20. PM me if interested I will look for it.

Yea additional domains, I still prefer blocking host ASN's over using $500 for something that doesn't catch most things <.<, OP if u want I could give you 280m hosting ips that I use on my forum, if I'm in mood.

• MunMun Member

Are you using nginx by chance?

• @Cakey said:
    [...] if u want I could give you 280m hosting ips that I use on my forum, if I'm in mood.

I wonder, what are these IPs?

Personally, I use ipset-based filtering to block several hundred thousand IPs/networks from reaching my sites - all IPs collected from few open sources (DROP list, StopForumSpam/Project HoneyPot lists, other well-known bots IPs, known botnets' zombies IPs and so on).

I also collect IPs that exhibit suspicious activity (example: trying to connect on RDP, MysqL, whatever else port to IP that doesn't announced those ports publicly).

So far, it reduced spam influx/other unwanted type of traffic considerably. But i'm always in quest of better filtering ideas.

• blackblack Member

@Master_Bo said:
    So far, it reduced spam influx/other unwanted type of traffic considerably. But i'm always in quest of better filtering ideas.

Blocked.com also blocks datacenter IPs and such. These IPs would be "clean" in terms of spam and what not, but it is a sign that someone is trying to anonymize themselves.

• VPNVPN Member

Lol, went to Blocked.com from my home internet which is Sky UK. Got a message saying the site is protected by blocked.com and so can't go on it because of my IP. So I connected to one of my VPNs on my UK Winity VPS and it let me through fine!

• wychwych Member

@VPN said:
    Lol, went to Blocked.com from my home internet which is Sky UK. Got a message saying the site is protected by blocked.com and so can't go on it because of my IP. So I connected to one of my VPNs on my UK Winity VPS and it let me through fine!

Sounds legit.

• CakeyCakey Member

Master_Bo said: I wonder, what are these IPs?

Hosting and VPN ASN prefixes, blocking around 660 hosts at the moment.

• @Cakey said:

It would be useful to have access to this list. For legitimate use, of course.

• blackblack Member

@Cakey said:

If you have something like this, please post it or PM me the list :)