Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The seven dollar question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The seven dollar question

mpkossenmpkossen Member
edited March 2014 in General

For a while now, we've been having quite some issues getting offers outside of the USA, Canada, and Europe. While the USA has the upper hand here (it's where most offers come from), Canada and the EU are already a bit harder offer-wise.

Therefore, I'd like to ask your opinion on raising the $7 limit for offers from other parts of the world: South America, Africa, Asia, Oceania, Eastern Europe. This would enable companies from these parts of the world, where bandwidth and power are more expensive, to send in offers as well without making too much of a loss.

Should we raise the $7 limit for offers outside the USA/Canada/EU?
  1. Should we raise the $7 limit for offers outside the USA/Canada/EU?320 votes
    1. Yes, to $8.
        1.88%
    2. Yes, to $9.
        2.19%
    3. Yes, to $10.
      52.50%
    4. No, leave it at $7.
      43.44%

Comments

• As an Aussie, I'm all for the $10 limit increase, would love to see more offers outside USA

• Sorry, had to recreate the poll because I missed a field description which made the $8 option a question, not an option.

• Even $10 is not enough.Make it $14.

Thanked by 1Ruchirablog
  • PetaByetPetaByet Member
    edited March 2014

Nah, $7 is LET/B's "tradition". Keep it there. However I think yearly offers in other parts of the world can be raised to $84 ($7*12).

• Considering that LowEndAdmin is an Australian and he set the limit to $7 - let's leave it there.

Thanked by 5rm_ marcm retry ztec Rapta
  • marcmmarcm Member

@mpkossen why have a limit at all? Why have geographic boundaries when it comes to pricing? For example VPSBoard got spawned last year, never had a limit for offers and prices didn't go crazy. My point is that the community is very well established and knows what it wants and the members know what they expect from participating providers. We also have inflation and other things to consider and I believe that not having a limit anymore would benefit everyone in the long run. At this point this artificially imposed limit feels more like bureaucracy than anything else. I seriously doubt that if someone would post offers here at Linode prices anyone would actually consider or sign up for them, so that's not even an issue.

• Without limit, the Low-End would die eventually.

Thanked by 2PetaByet ztec
  • marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2014

Noerman said: Without limit, the Low-End would die eventually.

It won't, proof is out there. Habits are hard to break. I know how the first incarnation of LET got started, and it wasn't to create some kind of low end community, but rather serve as an advertising platform for a small hosting company who's owner couldn't do basic math. It's been a long time since then though...

• PetaByet said: Nah, $7 is LET/B's "tradition". Keep it there. However I think yearly offers in other parts of the world can be raised to $84 ($7*12).

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited March 2014

I think 15-20$ should be fine for powerful VPSes. Voted for 10$.

• marcmmarcm Member

Raymii said: Nah, $7 is LET/B's "tradition".

"Tradition" looses potentially valuable community members every single day to other forums.

• marcm said: "Tradition" looses potentially valuable community members every single day to other forums.

But it's make us unique !?

Thanked by 1PetaByet
  • marcmmarcm Member

namhuy said: But it's make us unique !?

I can see both points of view, so I understand the merits of keeping the $7 limit, however I also understand the merits of evolution. So while the $7 limit has made us unique, maybe we can evolve now and move past it :-)

• We are LowEndTalk not HighEndTalk

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2014

NO
    Stop screwing up the good things.
    Leave at $7.
    Those longing for "higher end offers" can kindly gtfo to WHT.
    This is Lowendbox, and the $7 rule is its good tradition that should remain.

• People come here for offers <= $7, if we increase the limit, LET will eventually be turned into another WHT.

Thanked by 20xdragon Miky
  • Just leave it....

Thanked by 20xdragon Gunter
    edited March 2014

Also... There is NO excuse for a provider to absolutely need an >$7 limit just because they happen to be in a weird part of the world. We have DigitalOcean Singapore for $5 (and half a dozen of other SG providers within the limit). We have Vultr Tokyo for $5 (and couple of native-Japanese ones within $7 also). We have VPSNine Cape F--king Town South Africa and New Zealand with 300 GB bandwidth for $5. Micronet and Leapswitch India within $7. BinaryLane Cloud VPS in Australia from $5. Even had offers in Beijing China from StarryDNS, for about $6 or $35 yearly. And so on and so on. If a provider can't offer a VPS below $7, they probably aren't trying hard enough, for example make it 128MB of RAM and 100 GB b/w if you have to, good, it will be a LowEndBox, i.e. just what this site is about.

• Besides if some location is really that expensive that there can't be a $7/month VPS there - it still can be posted on LET by a third party, as a cool service they've discovered and want to talk about, not as an offer. I've seen this happen before.

• Leave it at 7!!!

• I think that if we allow upto $10 there should be some limits if your out side of US/EU/Can and you want to seel at $10 you need to be around for a year or some period of time before you can start making offers like that. I feel like this will incress market share in other areas but dont want to loose on the US stuff. I feel like there should be a fair way for US venders to also make a little more profit and not be at a total loss all the time.

• marcmmarcm Member

wojons said: I feel like

And I feel like a stupid price limit and a few rules is not what defines this community or keeps it together. If this is what's gonna make or break us then we're not much of a community. Personally I think that the people that I have met here and the friendships that I've forged over the past two years are far more important than some price limit. If it changes or not, it won't make any difference in the way that I do business, however if it does and the community stays the same then it means that we are bound together by more than a set of rules and a price limit. Just my two cents.

edited March 2014

marcm said: a stupid price limit and a few rules is not what defines this community or keeps it together.

Every site needs something that's defines it at its core, if you take that away, sure, by "friendships forged over two years" (what? LEB itself and some of us are around since 2008) it may continue lumping along for a while based on pure intertia, but then inevitably will die off and will be forgotten in a murky sea of useless WHT clones (o hai there VPSBoard!).

Thanked by 1marcm
  • I voted for the $10 limit, would love to see some more providers here offering services in other countries (e.g. Australia, Asia region)

Thanked by 1marcm
  • VPNVPN Member

@rm_ said:
    Every site needs something that's defines it at its core, if you take that away, sure, by "friendships forged over two years" (what? LEB itself and some of us are around since 2008) it may continue lumping along for a while based on pure intertia, but then inevitably will die off and will be forgotten in a murky sea of useless WHT clones (o hai there VPSBoard!).

He was clearly referring to himself having been around these parts for 2 years.

Its true that when LET was started, it needed something that 'defines it at its core'. However like @marcm and others have said, we have moved on from those days.

We no longer need to 'define' our community, instead we need to keep it growing.
    Increasing the $7/month limit to $10 means that we as the consumer can see more offers from the companies we know and trust.

Thanked by 1marcm
  • $7 for now...

@rds100 said:
    Besides if some location is really that expensive that there can't be a $7/month VPS there - it still can be posted on LET by a third party, as a cool service they've discovered and want to talk about, not as an offer. I've seen this happen before.

Good idea but success is yet to be seen!

But will there be any place for a plan like this here @ LEB/LET or other place:
    128/256 MB RAM | 10-30GB HDD | 1 IPv4 | 100-200GB BW @ 10Mbps or something nearby | Type: KVM | Location: India or something uncommon

• marcmmarcm Member

Every point of view has merit, but more importantly, the collective consciousness of this community will ultimately dictate what it wants. My point was simple: the $7 limit is unique, however after so many years this community is so well established that if this limit is lifted it won't make a huge difference. What I see happening is less daring and questionable (oversold) offers (6GB OpenVZ for $7 and such), and an overall increase in the quality of the services that are offered. Maybe I'm wrong. My crystal ball is in the shop getting fixed, so I don't know for sure :P

rm_ said: o hai there VPSBoard!

VPSBoard is not a WHT clone, it's an LET clone that's being run by half a dozen people or so (for those who don't know, that's about six :P), and who's main reason for existence is to express hate speech against ColoCrossing for running LET/LEB. Most threads featuring such comments have the same people slinging the same cheap shots and low rent comments. Considering how LET/LEB was passed around and then down to Chief, in my oppinion ColoCrossing rescued LET/LEB. Anyway, before derailing this too much, no, I don't think that VPSBoard is a WHT clone and I don't think that LET will ever become a WHT clone either.

edited March 2014

OkieDoke said: Its true that when LET was started, it needed something that 'defines it at its core'. However like @marcm and others have said, we have moved on from those days.

You both seem to operate under assumption that the people who are currently on the site are 1) going to stay forever 2) we don't need no new members.

OkieDoke said: We no longer need to 'define' our community, instead we need to keep it growing.

But how are you going to "grow the community", when there will be no longer anything unique about the concept of LEB/LET? You want to turn it into a shoddy version of WHT but with less offers and with less and less users as days go by.

Increasing the $7/month limit to $10 means that we as the consumer can see more offers from the companies we know and trust.

No, it means we, "as the consumer" will get pricier and less attractive offers overall, since the providers will gladly jump from the current $7 limit to the new one whatever it is, and as the general level of prices will rise, even the lowest-end offers in the US/EU will start to adjust accordingly.

Also I think providers should be barred from voting or even posting in this thread completely. This has always been a website for users, not a platform for providers to advertise like WHT. It's very notable how those who want a chance to be a bit more lazy and greedy readily jump at the chance to ruin LEB/LET to pocket a few extra cash, all while covering by sweet words about "friendship" and "community".

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • It should be increased to at least 10 usd

• marcmmarcm Member

rm_ said: You both seem to operate under assumption that the people who are currently on the site are 1) going to stay forever 2) we don't need no new members.

When the kids start showing up I may be here less (or more, depending how much they'll keep me up at night, lol). Seriously though, we need to increase membership and get more fresh blood with new ideas to join our ranks.

rm_ said: But how are you going to "grow the community", when there will be no longer anything unique about the concept of LEB/LET?

This is where we need to innovate and come up with something new and exciting. Low end VPS servers made sense back when hardware and networking equipment / bandwidth were very expensive. We're not resource constrained anymore like we used to be.

ftpit said: It should be increased to at least 10 usd

The limit is an arbitrary and irrelevant number. Increasing it to $10 makes about as much sense as lowering it to $5. There is nothing special about those numbers. At least $7 is a special number, it's both magic, divine, and has some significance in most cultures. Yes, it's unique. IMHO we either keep it or drop it, however changing it to something else makes no sense.