Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for SSH tunneling on custom port
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for SSH tunneling on custom port

fefe78fefe78 Member

Hi everybody,

I'd like to replicate my home raspberry pi solution using a vps; what I need is a vps that can be accessed over ssh on a custom port (that must be 443 or 80, because of my company restrictions) and tunnel traffic for socks browsing purposes.
No need for high bandwidth and vps specs could be minimal.
My raspberry pi solution works well, but the browsing speed is limited by my slow internet connection upload bandwidth at home.
Is there a low cost vps that can afford this?

Thanks.

Comments

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2014

I think you can just simply edit the ssh config on a VPS to use port 80 or 443 and restart it. No special requirements. You'll probably want to remove any webserver that's already bound to those ports.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • I can offer you 128MB Ram VPS with 500GB bw for $1/m

• fefe78fefe78 Member
    edited March 2014

@ricardo said:
    I think you can just simply edit the ssh config on a VPS to use port 80 or 443 and restart it. No special requirements. You'll probably want to remove any webserver that's already bound to those ports.

are you sure there are no limitations on these ports.. I think I have seen that many vps low cost are configured to use a fixed port range..

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2014

@fefe78 said:
    are you sure there are no limitations on these ports.. I think I have seen that many vps low cost are configured to use a fixed port range..

Of course not. There are maybe two or so providers ("lowendspirit" and another one.. I can't remember it's name) who offer vps with fixed port range but with all the others there's no such limitation. With standard vps it's up to your own configuration how and what ports you will use.

• @Spirit said:

Yup, you get all ports on the IP unless you use a NAT service.

• @MassNodes said:
    Yup, you get all ports on the IP unless you use a NAT service.

thank you MassNodes... and I also see that many vps require registered domain.. can your vps be reached only by ip?
    would you like to explain your offer...maybe in private message? Doesn't see this option on your site..

• Yeah we don't offer domain registration with our vps. You can use a service like namecheap or godady and link that up.

• You do not need a domain for any provider I have used / seen, the server just needs a host name which does not have to be resolvable through DNS. So go ahead and stick what you want as your host name.

I guess your doing this to get round your companies logging / checks, if you are I would make sure I was sending my DNS queries through the SSH Tunnel too.

• Hi everybody,
    Unfortunately massnodes is going to shutdown..
    Any suggestion on another similar service, same specs and prices, located in US? Maybe more reliable...
    Thanks

• hello, greeting!
    I think that most vps providers let you open ports as you please, you just need to edit your iptables and change ssh port.

if you plan to use port 443 or 80 for that purpose, first you will need to disable web server since most vps come preinstalled with it

• MrXMrX Member

zionvps said: if you plan to use port 443 or 80 for that purpose, first you will need to disable web server since most vps come preinstalled with it

Or change the web server listening ports. Not very user friendly if you have customer-facing websites, but perfectly fine for personal usage.

• Thanks.. I have already succeeded opening ssh custom port.. Now I am looking for a suggestion on a new vps provider..

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

What location are you o> @fefe78 said:

Hi everybody,
    Unfortunately massnodes is going to shutdown..
    Any suggestion on another similar service, same specs and prices, located in US? Maybe more reliable...
    Thank

What location do you want.

Where did you hear that?

• fefe78fefe78 Member
    edited April 2014

No preferences.. Anywhere in us.. I'm in Europe.
    If you mean where I hear about massnodes shutdown.. Just arrived an email from massnodes..

• Check out our offers.
    We can give you a VPS for $3.40/quarter.
    If 75 GiB of data isn't enough, open a ticket with us and we can give you a custom plan. Remember to mention you're from LET for a discount.