Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone wanna help beta test a new provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone wanna help beta test a new provider?

Hiya. I lurk on the irc channel quite a bit, and joined last year. I've always said I wanted to try my hand at being a provider, so I got to work... right now it's pretty raw, based in the US (Atlanta), using my own hardware and OpenNebula/KVM.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what they'd like to see?

Comments

• Please not OpenNebula. That shit doesn't work correctly (with WHMCS). Use SolusVM or sth like that. If you need any help, feel free to PM me, I would like to betatest/help.

• I applaud you for using opennubula.

• flricharflrichar Member
    edited March 2014

I decided not to use WHMCS ... the vulnerabilities turned me off. OpenNebula does have an aws and occi api ...

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • IceCreamIceCream Member
    edited March 2014

Yup, I betatested 2 providers with OpenNebula and they gave up after like 2 weeks^^

Edit: It's a nice idea, but sadly not stable enough for the production.

edited March 2014

@IceCream said:
    Yup, I betatested 2 providers with OpenNebula and they gave up after like 2 weeks^^

Edit: It's a nice idea, but sadly not stable enough for the production.

Eh? My other beta testers don't seem to have an issue. Bizarre, I've had it running for months.

Edit: Maybe I'll be the one who sticks around. ;oD

edited March 2014

Well, you will see what I mean when you use it in production. Still, I wish you good luck ;)

+Does it support the 'resizing' of the VM's now. Last time I used it, it didn't.

• @IceCream said:
    Well, you will see what I mean when you use it in production. Still, I wish you good luck ;)

What didn't you like about it? I welcome any "here's what sucks about OpenNebula" comments, I'd love to fix/stabilize it. Try me... I've actually tested out OpenQRM as well, but liked the simplicity of ONE better.

• @flrichar Last time I used it, I didn't like the design, nothing worked correctly, the VM got stuck, networking was fucked up etc. I don't how much it changed.

• They changed a lot between 3.8 and 4.0 ... I'm running the most recent 4.4.1...

• so, can we actually test it?

edited March 2014

That's interesting.

Edit: "Yup, no robot-voices here" But I like the robots :(

• what we gotta do?

• Buy the VPS and write a review?

• I'd be interested in trying it out. Location?

• @jeffreywinters said:
    I'd be interested in trying it out. Location?

US (Atlanta) i think

• @KrakHead said:
    US (Atlanta) i think

Yeah my bad.

edited March 2014

Just get in touch with me, via email is cool. Edit: Sorry, just got on a very loooong phone conversation. Drop me a line, let me know what you're interested in, then we'll do a 2 week trial or something. Keeping it afterward would be your decision, I'll come up with a discount. I have ready made images for popular stuff like CentOs, Debian, Ubuntu, ArchLinux.

• @IceCream said:
    That's interesting.

Edit: "Yup, no robot-voices here" But I like the robots :(

I could always put a voip number up and do a robot voice...

• @KrakHead said:
    US (Atlanta) i think

Yea, hanging out on the IRC channel, I realize many aren't in the US... I try really hard not to be the common 'murican dork.

• @flrichar said:
    I could always put a voip number up and do a robot voice...

That would be pretty nice!

• @flrichar said:
    Just get in touch with me

Me please.

• Sent a message in irc, not sure if he's still here

• If you're interested;

• send me an email at my userid at geexology.com
    • include these details, that you agree to the datacenter's aup and what distribution you'd like, and if you want a pre-configured image or would rather install one yourself

The plan is to allow say, four more testers... the AUP is pretty basic and standard, you know, don't be a jerk, do anything illegal or get anyone in trouble. :oO