Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Haswell Refresh
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Haswell Refresh

Anyone think Haswell Refresh is disappointing? 100Mhz bump.

The only excitement if it actually happens is the new SSD stuff, but that would take quite a while to mature from all the vendors.

This means on the server side we're not likely to see much happen this year. Haswell it is still.

Comments

• JupiterJupiter Member
    edited March 2014

crony capitalism. Intel monopoly at its best

I think only serious update is 30 percent improvement in power consumption compared to the 2013 Haswell chips

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Got a link?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

You are right. Nothing exciting there.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2014

Seems like nothing to write home about.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited March 2014

Honestly, until actual CPU performance tests are performed, there's no way to really know what there is in the new package. I'm going to go on a limb that there'll be better off-peak power management along with more optimized circuitry, but beyond that is pure speculation.

said: This means on the server side we're not likely to see much happen this year. Haswell it is still.

Well, Broadwell may hit this year.

• Rallias said: I'm going to go on a limb that there'll be better off-peak power management along with more optimized circuitry, but beyond that is pure speculation.

It's not even going to be a new stepping most likely - at most for the chipset changes to accommodate SSD spec if it happens. The 100Mhz bump is but better bins / yields due to process maturity after a year.