Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you buy an ultra LEB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you buy an ultra LEB?

rethinkvpsrethinkvps Member
edited April 2012 in General

Would you guys ever purchase an ultra LEB, with something like 64MB RAM and 5GB HDD or maybe a little more. What would your thoughts and usages be for a VPS this small?

I would create these types of VPSs their very own minimal template so that you wouldn't need to do much to get started.

Comments

• DNS, Backup MX, VPN, Reverse Proxy, IRC Bouncers...

Those are the more 'sensible' things you could probably do with a 64MB VPS, however, I'm sure @dmmcintyre3 runs FreeVPS.us on a 64MB box.

• Backup DNS server, maybe even a lightweight (say Nginx only) static file serving host. Hell, 64mb would be good enough for a tiny VPN box.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited April 2012

@ElliotJ said: @dmmcintyre3 runs FreeVPS.us on a 64MB box.

It's on a 128mb VPS. The lowest I ever ran it on was a 80mb KVM from a host that failed. My 64mb vps with Inception Hosting is used for IRC and DNS.

• How much would you expect a LEB to cost?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2012

@rethinkvps I have around 5 64MB VPSs. Some atleast 2-3 years and some I got recently. With so many VPSs as some of us here have we really don't need for every little crap (ie. irc bouncer, etc..) every our vps in 256MB-1024MB range.

Cost...? As price for so mini package can't be too high to walk in step with competition there's sense to make it as yearly offer.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

maybe vpns

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

64MB? SecureDragon sells 32MB :)

@raindog308 said: 64MB? SecureDragon sells 32MB :)

OMFG... but bandwidth?

• 64mb ... good luck with getting IPs.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

@raindog308 said: 64MB? SecureDragon sells 32MB :)

You can run XFCE4 + VNC on a 32MB VPS (Chrome requires a 64MB plan though and there are "lighter" desktops out there than XFCE4 but I prefer XFCE4).

@netomx said: OMFG... but bandwidth?

I just checked and out of all of our 32MB VPSs the most any of them are using is less than 4GB of bandwidth. It looks like most are for DNS, monitoring, and VPNs. I use my 32MB VPS as a webserver (lighttpd) and for pptpd.

• with 64mb ram you can easily ran lighttpd, php and a site with sqlite.

Just a heads up, it does look like the low memory does impact the network. Some slowness on a 32MB VPS:

2012-04-16 04:02:28 (23.4 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]

• Going back to the IP issue, it seems OVZ does support some form of NAT. Is there a niche for offering NATed ULEBs with limited port forwarding? Things like socks proxies/VPNs would work. I also remember -- and this may no longer be the case after the VPS boom -- of folks hosting low-traffic personal sites on their home connections on non-standard ports, using eg DynDNS.

What is the IP issue?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@KuJoe said: What is the IP issue?

I think he means what you can sell an ultra-LEB for vs. the cost of IPs.

BTW, I had one of SecureDragon's 32/64s. Ultimately upgraded it because I wanted to use it for a more demanding purpose but it worked great. Only issue I had was building UTF-8 locales for Debian for some reason - ISO-8859-1 worked fine, but UTF-8 exhausted memory.

I think some of the BSDs might actually be more micro-LEB friendly. The OpenBSD FAQ even uses a machine with 64M as an example :-)

@raindog308 said: I think he means what you can sell an ultra-LEB for vs. the cost of IPs.

Gotcha. That was a concern for us before we got our own IP-space but I was under the impression we were like the last provider to get our own.

That being said, some people have inquired about IPv6-only ULEBs in the past (if IPv6 fit in our budget we would have considered this). It would probably be a niche market so might be worth looking into for those with IPv6 space.

• @raindog308 said: I think he means what you can sell an ultra-LEB for vs. the cost of IPs.

Precisely, thanks raindog. I guess it may not be a concern for the big-name LEBs, e.g. BuyVM, SecureDragon, etc. who have their own IP space, but it looks like it is for smaller folks like BassHost? Any others care to comment...DotVPS, BlueVM, etc?

I would love some 32mb with <500GB bandwidth.

@netomx said: I would love some 32mb with <500GB bandwidth.

Do you mean >500GB (greater than 500GB)?

@KuJoe said: Do you mean >500GB (greater than 500GB)?

LOL, yes, that's what I meant.

• @netomx said: >500GB (greater than 500GB)

So...VPN or small, static but high-traffic website?

• I run my monitoring instance on a 64mb/5gb xen box (munin)

@Kujoe do you offer that xfce+vnc as a template?

@quirkyquark why could a high traffic website not be static? Some cmses even provide a caching feature for it ;)

@Raymii said: @Kujoe do you offer that xfce+vnc as a template?

It's on my ToDo list but for now all I have is a tutorial written up: https://my.securedragon.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=40

• @Raymii said: why could a high traffic website not be static?

That's exactly what I meant -- a small (diskspace) && static && high-traffic website :-) The implication was that such combos are not common...

• Depending on bandwidth (if at least 500 GB per month), I would have no problems purchasing one of these for a SSH Tunnel. I have 2 very low end VPSs with RAMHost for this purpose alone.

1 in the US for general use when I am on public/untrusted internet connections to tunnel all traffic through

1 in the UK for watching BBC iPlayer from the US. Both work well and often use less then 32 MB of RAM and almost no hard disk space and CPU

@quirkyquark said: So...VPN or small, static but high-traffic website?

I have one with Loomhosts already, but if I grow again, it would be nice. Just VPN. And the thing is: is for resell. You can put 5+ clients there.

• I would love some 32mb with >500GB bandwidth too... for VPN :)

• Guys, 32MB VPS on a node with 16GB RAM would mean there could be 500 VPSes on that node without overselling the RAM. Do you really want to be on a node with 500 other customers?

Well, if you just put 32mb boxes, yeah, 500 vpses. But I you have 10x32mb, nx128, nx256, nx1024, etc, it may be other number

• I do. But then again, I'd only pay like $0.25USD per month to be on said node since I'd be using it for DNS, BackupMX, and IRC.