Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

49MB memory consumption with a fresh install, CentOS 6.4, How do I make it less consumed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

49MB memory consumption with a fresh install, CentOS 6.4, How do I make it less consumed?

On my another VPS, it is only around 22MB.

Comments

• Please hold while I telepathically log into your VPS to see what could be going wrong. While I do that, can you post most information for people here who don't have telepathy?

• blackblack Member

What virtualization are you using? Show me what processes you're running.

• @jrdai said:
    On my another VPS, it is only around 22MB.

Possible causes:

-KVM Uses more RAM(kernel stuff that's normally not needed in openvz)

-More services installed(check chkconfig and disable unneeded services)

-And much more, but you don't give much information(are you including cache into used memory?)

• Use original LEA instructions

• agonyztagonyzt Member
    edited March 2014

Try stopping rsyslog... I've been able to reduce memory usage to 8-9MB with CentOS 6.4 on OpenVZ by replacing rsyslog with syslog-ng (available on EPEL). Also, make sure all non-necessary services are turned off (chkconfig is your friend).

inb4: "Use debian, it uses less memory..." While this statement is true with a default install, a fine-tuned CentOS can be just as good memory-wise (and better for everything else :P -FLAMEWAR!-).