Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted Analytics
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosted Analytics

TehEnforceTehEnforce Member
edited March 2014 in Requests

Im currently looking for a free hosted analytics service. I don't want to use Google Analytics fot various reasons and I don't have the budget and resources to self host Piwik or other analytics software.

Any suggestions?

If you can it would be awesome if you include you're experience with the service and its ups and downs.

Comments

• yandex metrika

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
  • You could use Hosted Piwick
    http://piwik.org/hosting/

• said: I don't have the budget/resources to self host Piwik

lol

@GIANT_CRAB said:
    lol

Tbh I just installed it with installatron just out of curiosity, thing eats CPU like crazy for what it is. Really surprised they recommend two shared hosting companies for hosting it on their website.

• TehEnforceTehEnforce Member
    edited March 2014

@kerouac said:
    yandex metrika

Thanks. I will check them out. I don't like Yandex to much do. Them overloading my server like crazy with their annoying crawlers ignoring robots.txt

Thanks. I am thinking of going with him/them but I will wait a little for more suggestions.

NodeJungle said: You could use Hosted Piwick http://piwik.org/hosting/

Damn that price. 49$ per month for their lowest plan.

@jarland said:
    Tbh I just installed it with installatron just out of curiosity, thing eats CPU like crazy for what it is. Really surprised they recommend two shared hosting companies for hosting it on their website.

Exactly.

• @jarland said:

Does it really eat that much CPU?

@catalystium said:
    Does it really eat that much CPU?

First time I loaded it up 40% of a core. Frequent bursts of 15-30% browsing it. To think that's without any actual data running through it yet, that's a bit heavy on base install.

• We use Chartbeat (https://chartbeat.com/signup/ ) and their lowest plan starts at 9.95/m after a 30 day trial. Very close to Google analytics and reporting is better

• @jarland said:
    First time I loaded it up 40% of a core. Frequent bursts of 15-30% browsing it. To think that's without any actual data running through it yet, that's a bit heavy on base install.

Everytime I open a new page on Piwik I'm using 100% of my cpu core on a RamNode CVZ128.

• NickMNickM Member

Those of you who are experiencing CPU issues with Piwik (@jarland, @taronyu) may want to enable the cronjob if you haven't done so. If you don't set up the cronjob, it'll recalculate your stats on every page load and pound your CPU pretty hard. I'm running it on a 512MB OVZ container with 2 cores without any issues that I've noticed (though I haven't really paid too much attention, since it just works and doesn't seem to load slowly).

Thanked by 1jar
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I could put a piwik instance on my kimsufi when the cpu load is high its not so important.

• You may PM me, I have a Piwik installation just sitting there.

• Is there any need for this? I still have a unused 1GB XEN vps for a year that I won, and instead of using it myself I prefer to help some people for free. :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I offer it as an addon to my shared hosting customers, perhaps adding it as a stand alone product? Would that be of interest? I'm thinking $2/year for up to 5 domains?

• @taronyu said:
    Is there any need for this? I still have a unused 1GB XEN vps for a year that I won, and instead of using it myself I prefer to help some people for free. :)

Was thinking the same thing, got an unused small dedi I'm not currently using much atm.

edited March 2014

@Infinity580 said:
    I could put a piwik instance on my kimsufi when the cpu load is high its not so important.

Awesome! I will PM you later today.

@ricardo777 said:
    You may PM me, I have a Piwik installation just sitting there.

Alright. I will PM you later today. Is it hosted on a VPS or Dedi?

@taronyu said:
    Is there any need for this? I still have a unused 1GB XEN vps for a year that I won, and instead of using it myself I prefer to help some people for free. :)

I sure think there is need for this :)

I think Im skipping this offer. I don't like limited page views accounts.

@MikHo said:
    I offer it as an addon to my shared hosting customers, perhaps adding it as a stand alone product? Would that be of interest? I'm thinking $2/year for up to 5 domains?

Seems like a great idea :)

@catalystium said:
    Was thinking the same thing, got an unused small dedi I'm not currently using much atm.

Alright I am going to PM you later today.

So many great offers. Im happy the community is so caring about others :)
    I will first PM the dedi offers in order since it may be possible that my site could get a high traffic spike so a spike in bandwidth and CPU and I don't want the owner get his VPS suspended because of that :)

• I also have a Piwik installation on my server and can host your stats if you'd like. Send a PM if you're interested to take up the offer.

• @TehEnforce said:

I setup an installation and it seems to be running smoothly with the stats updating via cron.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

This might sound like I'm trying to be a dick since people are offering it for free but you will have to rely on the goodness of the giver.

Personally I wouldn't give away a service on one of my personal server. Only because I reinstall them every now and then and if I by accident deleted someone else information I would feel very bad about it. For a long time, but thats me. :)

When I get out from the hospital I'll set up the product and anyone interested will get a proffesional service out of it.

• @MikHo said:
    This might sound like I'm trying to be a dick since people are offering it for free but you will have to rely on the goodness of the giver.

Personally I wouldn't give away a service on one of my personal server. Only because I reinstall them every now and then and if I by accident deleted someone else information I would feel very bad about it. For a long time, but thats me. :)

When I get out from the hospital I'll set up the product and anyone interested will get a proffesional service out of it.

It is the reason I said I have that server for a year anyways. So it will stay up for atleast a year. ;)

• NickM said: Those of you who are experiencing CPU issues with Piwik (@jarland, @taronyu) may want to enable the cronjob if you haven't done so.

Yup. Something isn't right with all that CPU usage. I have Piwik on an OpenVz LEB tracking 32 websites. Been over a year now, no issue.

• It went down considerably whenever the cronjob was enabled and the updating on refresh was disabled.

edited March 2014

@sleddog said:
    Yup. Something isn't right with all that CPU usage. I have Piwik on an OpenVz LEB tracking 32 websites. Been over a year now, no issue.

For myself it was a installatron install of the latest version on godaddy shared. I had ssh open and noticed the high bursts as well as multiple php processes spawned that didn't die on their own. Probably wouldn't hurt on it's own vps but it shocked me that they recommend shared hosting for it, cause I figure if that's the first 10 minutes with no sites connected, gotta get worse.

I didn't try the cron thing though. Gonna try that later.

• jarland said: I didn't try the cron thing though. Gonna try that later.

It's a must-do with Piwik. Along with an opcode cache and mysql tweaking. Running it in it's own VPS environment (nothing else there) is best IMO.

The backend stats collecting is low impact. it's the frontend browsing you gotta work at optimizing.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited March 2014

I will PM all offers in order of type. I will wait atleast two hours before sending each a PM so I try to don't waste anyone's time setting up an account etc when I got already one at one other offer :)

@MikHo said:

You are right. I should not rely on that but however. Its the only solution I have. Im not an rich man. My job pays crap. I can barely support my VPS and domain together. Getting another VPS for analytics will be the end of the whole project for me than since I will be out of money in no time. Its also not to critical if the giver accidently removes all the data as Im not to interested in analytics from the previous month but more of today. So data loss won't be a problem to much as long as the downtime is minimal.

• I think I got an deal with @catalystium to host it for me. That means my quest is finished :D

Thank you @Infinity580, @ricardo777, @tortau and the rest for all the offers! Maybe some day I will ask you again if I can still take the offer when the deal does not work out :)