Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Small" dedicated server or VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"Small" dedicated server or VPS?

I currently have (amongst others) a VPS (1.5G ram - 20gb disk - ipv4/ipv6) with ISPConfig used as mail/webserver. The provider is seening abuse (without more info then that) while we don't see that.
I'm wondering should I go for another VPS or for a small dedi? (seems I can have one for around 10 euro at Kimsu - other offers are welcome)

Comments

• Maximum_VPSMaximum_VPS Member
    edited February 2014

Are you spending more than 300 emails an hour? edit:"as some providers could see that as abuse even if legit emails"

Check out our site for a upgrade :)

• The system is NOT sending any mails.
    The server is MX record for several domains and receives mail, we collect it via pop3 and put it in remote mailboxes. We don't send any mail via it.

edited February 2014

@dirk that's odd must be an IO issue .

Thanked by 1Pebsie
  • @Maximum_VPS: the question was to get some advice on getting a VPS or dedicated for it

• Maximum_VPS said: Are you spending more than 300 emails an hour?
    Check out our site for a upgrade :)

Are you actually insinuating that spammers are welcome to your service?

edited February 2014

@joelgm No it was a general question as some providers could see that as abuse even if legit emails... Thought that was obvious, edited the post.

@dirk Sorry was trying to help, maybe try another vps provider before choosing dedicated for the reason of cost savings.

• Dollar for dollar in the sub $20USD/month range, you're typically going to find more computing resources by going with VPS than a dedicated server. The key is finding out why they considered your usage as abuse. You don't want to simply move VPS provider to VPS provider and continue to be marked as an abuser.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • If you want a cheap dedicated could try a delimiter x5150 for $20 month if paid quarterly or I believe it was $16/month if yearly. They also do atoms pretty cheap.

If you don't need full dedicated resources, go with a vps.

• @catalystium the dedis @delimiter don't have ipv6 and that's a "must" for me.

• @dirk said:
    catalystium the dedis delimiter don't have ipv6 and that's a "must" for me.

They do, I have a /64 for my dedi with them.

• @dirk No idea about that, I believe the two I have with them doesn't have any IPv6 so I assume you have to request it. Lets see what @MarkTurner says.

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

The comparison between VPS and cheap server is really hard and you must know what type of abuse you are doing to be able to decide.

if it was related to cpu then a cheap dedicated server is better choice.

if it was related to IO then mostly a good VPS will be a better solution since those cheap dedicated servers comes with bad drives in general (lower speeds and very old)

also you should consider the availability of the server as cheap dedicated servers has higher probability to go offline for longer periods due to hardware issues specially if one harddisk dies while VPS servers in general are more protected and use higher end hardware that has less probability of failing.

on the other hand VPS has higher probability to go offline for shorter priods due to some other tenant abuse.

So use these facts and understand your exact need and abuse nature and decide based on that

thanks

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • any offers for a "good" vps with ipv4 & ipv6, 20gb disk and 1.5gb ram?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@dirk you might want to say where in the world you want service

• I would prefer in EUrope but that is not a must

• @dirk said:
    any offers for a "good" vps with ipv4 & ipv6, 20gb disk and 1.5gb ram?

How much ipv6 ip's are needed?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@rds100 usually has great deals on Bulgarian dedicated servers.

• @dirk said:
    any offers for a "good" vps with ipv4 & ipv6, 20gb disk and 1.5gb ram?

We offer a 2 GiB VPS at $16/mo with 50% off your first month or quarter with coupon: IF051VUJ3H

It has more than enough disk space (120 GiB) and has both IPv4 and IPv6.

If 1 GiB of RAM is sufficient, the price can be halved to $8/mo but still keep the discount.

However, I would recommend you try and work it out with your current provider first on why you were marked to be abusing

• dirkdirk Member

@AzueVPS: current provider says we abuse because we send too much mail, while we only use it as MX for our domains (all the users are local and we know what they are doing) and we use other servers for the normal mail sending.
    We're currently running on a backup solutions.

@Floris: 1 "real" (not tunneled) ipv6 address is enough.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2014

MXes can also cause lots of outgoing emails (backscatter), depends how they are configured.

• @dirk said:
    AzueVPS: current provider says we abuse because we send too much mail, while we only use it as MX for our domains (all the users are local and we know what they are doing) and we use other servers for the normal mail sending.
    We're currently running on a backup solutions.

Floris: 1 "real" (not tunneled) ipv6 address is enough.

We're working on adding IPv6 support on our nodes, I'll come back to you with an offer when it's done.

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited March 2014

@dirk - Of course we have IPv6 at all our datacentres!

We don't mind REAL outgoing mail, but if its spamvertising / spam then we don't want it on our network.

• dirkdirk Member

@MarkTurner as said before we don't even use that server to send mail to others, it's one of our MX servers that receives mail for our own domains. Don't think I ever send 1 mail via that server/vps.

• @dirk - so no problem. Depending on the volume something as simple as one of Delimiter's Atoms would fit the bill.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

So if you are not sending any emails but the provider says that you are sending emails, maybe it's open for relay.

• dirkdirk Member

@tomle it was checked several times and it's not an open relay.
    @MarkTurner I send mail to delimiter about the Atom but didn't get a reply (yet)

• Its the weekend so you probably won't get a fast reply.

• @dirk - Email [email protected] and Steve will be able to help you.

• dirkdirk Member

@MarkTurner: I send it originaly to [email protected], just resend it to the other address...

• dirkdirk Member

@MarkTurner: server ordered...waiting for it to be provisioned