Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

East coast providers with fastest speeds to Northern Europe?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

East coast providers with fastest speeds to Northern Europe?

I'd like to know what the fastest networks on the east coast are that would give the best speeds to Northern EU (have a large backup server in Sweden on a gbit port and it still takes a long time to sync). I get about 6MB/s on speed tests from my best server on the East Coast. I don't have any servers in the New England or Mid-Atlantic regions. Curious what your thoughts are for which network/data center/provider to go with. Thanks!

Comments

• Do you have a speed test in Sweden we can compare results with? :)

• I got around 6MB/s to Sweden from a server I have on the east coast (it's 100mbit but it doesn't max out). I wanted to know if there's any providers that anyone has encountered to Northern Europe with faster speeds. I'm guessing there is something in the Mid-Atlantic (NJ, NY) that might. But wanted to get opinions from LET, before I pick something up.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Choopa is very good imo, give it a try. @Reece's NJ location could work too, I'm sure he'll give you a test IP or so if you need.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2014

There's lots of data centers that have decent speed. If you give specifications about what you want we can recommend specific providers. BuyVM, Iniz are decent.

• Our Piscataway servers are in Choopa and have excellent speed to the northern Europe.

• XeiXei Member
    edited February 2014

I was looking for something with speeds ideally between 10-20MB/s to northern EU ideally. I'll research which providers are using Choopa, thanks for the advice! Any other suggestions welcome.

EDIT: BuyVM and Iniz for whatever reasons didn't yield good speeds (significantly slower than what I get from my best server). I'll just research all the providers on the east coast and try all their test files :P

• ViennaVienna Member
    edited February 2014

I concur, Choopa/Piscataway is really great for Europe. You could use BlueVM's speedtest file there to try yourself: s1.nj.bluevm.com/100mb.test.

DedicatedMinds (Reece) is currently at another good NJ datacenter. When my account was provisioned it was on a gigabit port and almost as fast as Choopa. However, after some time the server became rather crowded, IO dropped considerably, there were some major outages/attacks and it was either switched to a 100Mb/s port or severely throttled. Nice guys with good communication though, they even offered compensation for the downtime. Some time ago they announced a move to a different data center in New Jersey, which was since postponed, so no idea how it will be there, but I guess a NJ location is per se a pretty good indicator for good speed to Europe. Same for New York City, but I'm not aware of any current cheap offers from that place.

Another good location for traffic to Europe I know from experience was Steadfast in Chicago which has great network and uptime. However, their attitude was among the worst I've ever experienced as a customer from any serious provider ("fully managed" acutally meant "No, we won't install anything upon request, not even for fully managed customers, and we don't care if it's an emergency and that you want to pay us $250 for 5 or 10 minutes of work, we just don't do it, period. You've got cPanel installed, if that's not enough for you then just find someone else who knows how to do it but please don't bother us - we just keep the network up, for everything else you're on your own". Not to mention that they simply switched off my account without any warning a day earlier than the agreed upon and confirmed cancellation date, while I was just in the process of transferring accounts to the new provider). For that reason I wouldn't recommend them, however, if you can get a reasonable offer from a good reseller in their network that would certainly be a good option, too.

• XeiXei Member
    edited February 2014

The 10MB test file Choopa's VULTR is too small to get a proper speed test result. But it did hit 3MB/s at the tail end. Not sure why they didn't include larger files.

BlueVM (NJ) speed was also less than half what I get now. I guess that leaves trying out Chicago (INIZ was NY, BuyVM was NY I believe).

Even if I can't find anything faster than what I have already, it's fine as I didn't think I'd be able to find someone with better routing to Scandinavia.

EDIT: DedicatedMinds website was very slow and their looking glass appears to be non-functional. Looking Glass reply: The server at 199.36.221.51 is taking too long to respond.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited February 2014

Vienna said: Same for New York City, but I'm not aware of any current cheap offers from that place.

There's only one 1, I believe :-)

• smansman Member
    edited February 2014

I will also recommend Choopa. You can use reliablesite.net which is in their datacenter.