Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many spam mail do you get daily on your own domain?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many spam mail do you get daily on your own domain?

I am curious to know how many spam people could get in a personally registered domain. Spam is defined as mail sent by someone you have never contact before, so you don't know how he gets hold of your email address. If you are willing to help, please answer the following questions:

1. how long does your domain exist?
  2. number of email accounts in your domain?
  3. approximate number of spam mail sent to your domain daily?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I managed a domain at my old job which dated from 1997 iirc, it says before 2001.
    I got literally millions of spams in bad days. Usually was some tens of thousands, had to do some very strict screening and filtering to make the server usable. Regular, legit mail, that was some 1000 a day at most, usually half, a couple of hundred in week-ends and holidays. There were delays in receiving because of processing queue, for example some guy had 8000+ in the queue when had to clear it because he was waiting hours for an email to arrive. It was that bad, but I had to employ every means in the arsenal, including OCR and learning, this was legacy from the times when people were signing up to dubious sites to send greetings cards and such, were infected by viruses which scrambled the email so much of the spam is for non-existing addresses (which never existed also), those list probably kept being sold and resold ad infinitum,
    The problem was that no email could be lost because it could have meant a new sale, so, while the policy was strict in the sense that it was checked a lot, it also had to be permissive onevery check, so, a lot of the spam was passing, some 5%+, in the end reached an equilibrium when half the people were shouting they get too much spam and the other half that they missed an email.
    Spam is bad, unfortunately, blocklists are part of the problem, UCEPROTECT blacklisted the provider once and had to move to another :(

• DigitalDukeDigitalDuke Member
    edited February 2014

Across my 15+ personal domains (average age about 1 year, oldest being 4 years), I receive maybe 3 unsolicited emails per year total.

I have 300+ valid email addresses/accounts.

• @DigitalDuke said:
    Across my 15+ personal domains (average age about 1 year, oldest being 4 years), I receive maybe 3 unsolicited emails per year total.

I have 300+ valid email addresses/accounts.

I can't say I receive many, if any, unsolicited emails. I have 2 domains using Google Apps and then the other 9 are all on one of my OVH dedicated servers.

• So it seems spam is no longer a serious problem to most internet users, as indicated by the cases above. Mail service providers like Google now have very effective anti-spam measures in place. Maybe spamming will soon become a lost art:).

• I have two addresses hosted at Outlook.com. I receive no spam at all.

• I have 10 or so domains that I host. Most only have 1 or 2 mailboxes. My main domain which is 11 years old and has had the same email account on it that whole time gets about 3-4 a day. Another domain I have which is 9 years old gets 10 -20 a day. Spamassassin catches about 75% of those. The rest of my domains are much youngr and average between 0 -2 a day. Overall I get far more spam in my spam folder on my gmail account than I do on my own domains.

• My server blocks about 5-8 spam mails per day in my news portals I have (receiving about 200+ mails per day in both sites, with 4500+ and 2800+ unique visitors per day in each site accordingly).

I think antispam services are reducing spam dispersal, but their rules and their ip blocking policy sometimes getting out of control... Smamhaus did block an entire /24 block from BlueVM that I was hosted in, just because of one ip with bad reputation or spamming activities...

@Lazze they do have a "hard" spam filter. I lost a couple of emails due to this :-(

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited February 2014
    1. how long does your domain exist?

2.5 years

2. number of email accounts

1, catch all inbox

3. approximate number of spam mail sent to your domain daily

I've recieved only 4 spam emails so far, no blacklists or anti-spam software active.

I think that the spam level on my domain is this low because i'm really careful about who I sign up with.

• I have been using personal email on my own domain since 2008. At first there werent much spam emails, but after a year or so, the number went up rapidly and I used to get about 300+ spam emails a day. At that time I was using cPanel's email. After that I switched to Google Apps and never had spam problem since then since their filters are awesome and filter almost every single spam email.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited February 2014

January:

Metrics Value Calculation
    General accuracy 100.00% [Recognised Spam messages + Unsure messages + Not Spam messages] / Total filtered messages
    Spam ratio (of total messages) 82.18% Recognised Spam messages / Total filtered messages

Metrics Count of messages
    Not Spam messages 905
    Unsure messages 47
    Spam messages blocked 4391
    Viruses blocked 0 0 0
    Whitelisted 243
    Blacklisted 1
    Totals 5587

• I can't remember the last time I received a piece of unsolicited mail to my personal email address.