Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Common list of hidden charges?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Common list of hidden charges?

nasirbestnasirbest Member
edited February 2014 in General

In hosting industry If client is concerned about hidden charges and don't have enough time to read TOS, what should he ask from provider.

Like I can think only ...
Is there any cancellation fee ?
Charges for hardware replacement / reboot / setup ?

can you list more ....

Comments

• just [Ctrl] + [F] the ToS. Lookup keywords that are important to you.

Thanked by 1forthcloud
  • Overage fees are obvious, but how much.
    'Administrative' charges

• Void_Whisperer said: 'Administrative' charges

what is it ? any example ?

• @nasirbest said:
    what is it ? any example ?

If you screw with something you are not supposed to. :P

Thanked by 1nasirbest
  • Void_Whisperer said: If you screw with something you are not supposed to. :P

Yes it happen sometime !

• My favourite hidden charges are with a credit card payment processor.

Credit Card Fee = $0.16 + $0.35 = $0.51
    Revenue Share = $0.16
    Rolling Reserve = $0.16
    Currency Rate Conversion = $0.07

Total = $0.90 fees for a $3.19 product.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

In the shared/reseller world, I've seen charges for restores.

One of the most egregious I've seen is InnoHosting. They're already very expensive - granted, they do provider end-user support to a reseller's customers. But they're still super-expensive.

And then they add fees...

Need a restore? $35.

Need to change your domain? $25.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1340909

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Most VM providers here don't have strange hidden charges. Unless you want to count charges for things like filing Paypal dispute, cursing and insulting staff in tickets, etc., some providers have fee for that if you want to continue hosting.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I do read ToS/AUP with every provider I sign up, if they have such fees, I dont.
    Though, cannot be considered hidden as long as they are in the ToS. I think hidden means more something like huge "late fees" when they are not specified anywhere, for example, with holding data hostage until you pay. That is despicable and I am sure the costs to run such schemes are higher then the potential, not to mention actual "revenue".

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2014

We may or may not charge a non-refundable administrative fee, up to $600, for intentional spam incidents and fraud (for dedicated customer usually, never applied this to a VPS).

How's that for weird hidden fees that make no sense...? Actually, it makes perfect sense, because we have to deal with overdue invoices, chargeback fees, dirty IPs, and DDoS attacks.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Have you ever collected this $600 fee? If so, how?

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2014

The first for me was enabling IPv6 at i3d, which suddenly turned out to be additional 2 EUR/mo per server (+10% of my 20EUR/mo server), not mentioned anywhere prior to purchase of the server.

I said "no thanks", continued to use the he.net tunnel, and won't skip an opportunity to mention in any conversation about i3d that they are a bunch of nickle-and-diming *ssholes trying to charge for the most basic things included for free at all other providers.

Well I guess it's their choice, probably all that humongous profit from those 2 EUR charges makes up for much more than any loss of reputation that we the IPv6 enthusiasts can ever cause to them.

Thanked by 1chrisp
  • AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited February 2014

Cancellation. Look for cancellation terms. Usually you have to provide x number of days advance notice (via WHMCS) or they charge you for another billing term.

Apart from that you have the usual addon charges like for additional IPs and stuff. These vary with time though.

• @Mark_R said:
    just [Ctrl] + [F] the ToS. Lookup keywords that are important to you.

+1

@raindog308 said:
    Have you ever collected this $600 fee? If so, how?

Tried to get it twice. Got it once. That's still $600.

• @shovenose said:
    Tried to get it twice. Got it once. That's still $600.

would you use a real collection agency to get this $$? or are you using scare tactics like most providers?

Sorta just charged it?