Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Projects to contribute bandwidth to
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Projects to contribute bandwidth to

Hi LET,

i have some servers sitting idle and I wondered how I could contribute to meaningful projects with them?

I have a Tor relay running, that is eating up a lot of bandwidth and on another dedicated machine I have Hentai@Home running. Not that I am a fan, but distributed file delivery from many private machines is a nice thing.

So I know for vps providers not using the server is a good thing, but leaving the unlimited bandwidth of a dedicated server unused is a waste of money.

Do you know any projects, that offer people to contribute and share some spare traffic? Legal torrents are lame by the way, because you need to fill up your disk with a lot of stuff and almost noone will leech anything.

Comments

• You can run a bitcoin node, but it doesn't use that much traffic either.

Thanked by 1korobkov
  • Bitcoin just doesn't make sense to me in any way. No added value for anyone. But running a node basically just means forwarding transactional traffic or do I have to mine something with it?

Thanked by 1Tsukihi
  • chrisp said: Bitcoin just doesn't make sense to me in any way. No added value for anyone. But running a node basically just means forwarding transactional traffic or do I have to mine something with it?

Nah, you don't get any bitcoins from running a node. You just speed up traffic for people downloading bitcoin blockchain data around your server.

If bitcoin is not your taste, check out this open CDN project. http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/10893/open-source-project-looking-for-sponsors/p1

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited February 2014

chrisp said: Bitcoin just doesn't make sense to me in any way. No added value for anyone. But running a node basically just means forwarding transactional traffic or do I have to mine something with it?

Well you are adding value. It's a p2p currency so the more full nodes there are the better.

If you are looking to create something truly valuable, and possibly profitable, run an electrum server. Electrum is a lite bitcoin client that does not require a local copy of the bitcoin blockchain. Instead it connects to a server to get transaction data. You can learn more about it here:

Electrum server: https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum-server

Electrum forum: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=98.0

The money is from donations. You get to display your bitcoin address plus whatever message you deem suitable on the console tab of the electrum window. You should be able to cover your hosting costs at least.

Thanked by 1korobkov
  • KomplanarKomplanar Member
    edited February 2014

halczy said: If bitcoin is not your taste, check out this open CDN project. http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/10893/open-source-project-looking-for-sponsors/p1

Unfortunately jsDelivr is sponsored by two bigger CDN companies, so they removed most of the vps.

Maybe an OTR mirror? But I think thats too much space for too few traffic.

Everybody wants to do the sweet, juicy and delicious traffic on their own :(

• If you'd like, you can setup a shout cast server and relay it from mine.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited February 2014

Thanks, running it right now. I look for new projects from the Archiveteam from time to time, but I didn't notice this one yet. Probably this is done still this week. (http://tracker.archiveteam.org/bebo/ and http://tracker.archiveteam.org/viddler/ and http://tracker.archiveteam.org/dogster/ are running as well)

Well relaying a shoutcast server sounds good, but I'm not sure about the legal situation with this.

• @Abdussamad said:
    The money is from donations. You get to display your bitcoin address plus whatever message you deem suitable on the console tab of the electrum window. You should be able to cover your hosting costs at least.

Did not know that, I'll look into it, thanks. Do people really donation (I have a pessimistic view of humanity)? Do the donations come out of the donations to the BT mines (default on many transactions)?

• Silvenga said:

Did not know that, I'll look into it, thanks. Do people really donation (I have a pessimistic view of humanity)?

That's a good question actually. All I know is that one electrum server mentioned in 2013 that it had reached its hosting funding goals for that year and was collecting funds for 2014.

Do the donations come out of the donations to the BT mines (default on many transactions)?

Those are transaction fees not donations and they go to miners who mine the block in which your transaction was included. Transaction fees are around 0.0001 - 0.0002 bitcoin per transaction.

• Abdussamad said: That's a good question actually. All I know is that one electrum server mentioned in 2013 that it had reached its hosting funding goals for that year and was collecting funds for 2014.

I might as well set one up. I believe that Bitcoins will be outlawed one day due to their overwhelming popularity by the public. I would love to support such a feat.

Abdussamad said: Those are transaction fees not donations and they go to miners who mine the block in which your transaction was included. Transaction fees are around 0.0001 - 0.0002 bitcoin per transaction.

I wouldn't call them transactions fees - since they are not required by the protocol (thus donations). Be it they are recommended to insure the continuation of mining.

• www.iptorrents.com is a good project.

• Silvenga said:

I might as well set one up. I believe that Bitcoins will be outlawed one day due to their overwhelming popularity by the public. I would love to support such a feat.

LOL! I like the way you think.

Anyway there is something that I remembered after I wrote my last post. As you may know bitcoin transactions are all public information. We know what addresses electrum servers advertise to donors because they're listed right there on the console tab when you connect to a server. So we can just look them up on a block explorer site like blockchain.info and see how many donations they get.

This isn't fool proof, of course. It could be that the server operators are sending themselves coins, but I think it's unlikely that they are all doing that.

Silvenga said:

I wouldn't call them transactions fees - since they are not required by the protocol (thus donations). Be it they are recommended to insure the continuation of mining.

The protocol is implemented in software and the software does impose some rules for transaction fees:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees

The rules exist to prevent people from spamming the blockchain with small, meaningless transactions.

If you have old coins you can get away with zero fee transactions. Right now miners don't rely on transaction fees. The block reward of 25 bitcoins trumps transaction fees.

• This is really cool, I just noticed they have lots of projects that are similar. Thanks!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@funyuns_are_awesome said:
    This is really cool, I just noticed they have lots of projects that are similar. Thanks!

Make sure to hop into #archiveteam and #archiveteam-bs on EFNet :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

funyuns_are_awesome said: This is really cool, I just noticed they have lots of projects that are similar. Thanks!

There's some good stuff ongoing, I must confess I have lapsed in recent months quite badly. TeamWomble need to make a comeback.

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited May 2015

There should exist some kind of torrent seed service where people could alocate disk space and bandwidth from their servers with a virtual partition, a central bot system would collect and snif public torrents around the web, point this servers at torrents that would need resources as seed backbone in order to create an high availability cluster and perpetuate data as much as possible in a P2P system

I think the current Bittorrent protocol is getting outdated and shows no evolution

There is no system to tackle data loss and dead torrents, usually order stuff traffic decreases gradually to the point that it fades

Bittorrent should have a way that users could add HTTP seeds to a torrent at any time in their torrent clients by using a package system where all the files of a torrent were packed in a single file and using a verification process to verify the integrety of it

There is so much free HTTP bandwidth provided by so many free services around the web

@nitro85 said:
    There should exist some kind of torrent seed service where people could alocate disk space and bandwidth from their servers with a virtual partition, a central bot system would collect and snif public torrents around the web, point this servers at torrents that would need resources as seed backbone in order to create an high availability cluster and perpetuate data as much as possible in a P2P system

I think the current Bittorrent protocol is getting outdated and shows no evolution

There is no system to tackle data loss and dead torrents, usually order stuff traffic decreases gradually to the point that it fades

Bittorrent should have a way that users could add HTTP seeds to a torrent at any time in their torrent clients by using a package system where all the files of a torrent were packed in a single file and using a verification process to verify the integrety of it

There is so much free HTTP bandwidth provided by so many free services around the web

Realistically, BitTorrent isn't an archival system, it's a distribution system. The same idea you're bringing up gets suggested every once in a while, often unaware that such a persistent-storage platform already exists - it's Freenet, and it's incredibly slow due to its model.

As for your suggestion of adding HTTP seeds to a torrent - aside from torrent clients letting you do this themselves, there's Metalink.

More "persistent storage" ideas (for archival purposes) are here and here.

Thanked by 2nitro85 deadbeef
  • For bandwidth, you could donate it to cyanogenmod.org

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Also looking.

BOINC would be great, apparently something where you can donate computing power to research, but I did not even manage to get it working.

Bitcoin mining would probably take way too long on a CPU.

Tor is fine without me.

NTP is fine without me.

Free Minecraft/Teamspeak/etc servers were DDoS-ed.

Freely distributable content is heavily overseeded.

Creating a relay for several online radio stations didnt work out and I guess they didn't really need it anyway.

Currently trying out email hosting.

Thanked by 1ya_

Mirror for a package repository? Eg. https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mirror_infrastructure

Thanked by 1korobkov
  • nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited May 2015

@joepie91 said:
    Realistically, BitTorrent isn't an archival system, it's a distribution system. The same idea you're bringing up gets suggested every once in a while, often unaware that such a persistent-storage platform already exists - it's Freenet, and it's incredibly slow due to its model.

>

As for your suggestion of adding HTTP seeds to a torrent - aside from torrent clients letting you do this themselves, there's Metalink.

>

More "persistent storage" ideas (for archival purposes) are here and here.

Thanks for the Metalink mention, still figuring it out

The propose is would not be archiving just for the sake of it, nor another filehost server to client model system, the propose is a P2P automated seed cluster, that cant be influenced or taken down by economical or legal reasons, and doesn't judge or censor data by its nature

This system would allow the existence of an innactivity rule, dropping seeds if that specific torrent didn't received a single external leecher that downloaded the entire torrent in a certain amount of time, assigning it as not useful anymore, this period could be something like 4 to 6 months

There is recent Torrent site project that has a particularity

https://torrentfreak.com/strike-public-tracker-dht-searches-presented-cleanly-150321/

It scraps torrents by trackers or by quering DHT and collects its info hash and metadata

This system could collect and deploy all the existent torrents, making it avalable for everybody and also an API for webmasters to scrap data from this massive list

This is something mind-blowingly possible

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

A distributed file sharing platform would be nice.

Thanked by 1korobkov
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

ya_ said: This gave me lots of ideas! Thank you

Thank you,too for clicking the thanks button.

Oh wait..

Thanked by 1ya_
  • I know it's a old thread.

But syncthing relay is a good way to contribute bandwidth.

https://docs.syncthing.net/users/strelaysrv.html

https://relays.syncthing.net/

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2021

@Enzo2003S said:
    I know it's a old thread.

But syncthing relay is a good way to contribute bandwidth.

https://docs.syncthing.net/users/strelaysrv.html

https://relays.syncthing.net/

Its beyond what we consider old. Its a true blast from the past....

Maybe we should change the topic of this thread to what would you have done differently in 2014 or what your favorite song of the year was.......

P.S: I know you are a new member here, but id suggest not bumping old threads... No one likes it.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited March 2021

@Ian_Dot_Tech said:
    P.S: I know you are a new member here, but id suggest not bumping old threads... No one likes it.

I don't know about this one, this one gets a pass for me. The necro rule states that a thread should not be necro'd if not relevant (but if by relevant you mean time then smite me for I have wronged), but I think this is still relevant because idling will never be not a thing.

Though I am a lowly LET user and not a mod so ultimately my opinion doesn't matter, I just found the thread interesting and the bump to not be made in bad faith, is all.

• @jmgcaguicla said:

@Ian_Dot_Tech said:

I don't know about this one, this one gets a pass for me. The necro rule states that a thread should not be necro'd if not relevant (but if by relevant you mean time then smite me for I have wronged), but I think this is still relevant because idling will never be not a thing.

Though I am a lowly LET user and not a mod so ultimately my opinion doesn't matter, I just found the thread interesting and the bump to not be made in bad faith, is all.

No, the response is irrelevant to the OP (see if you like getting replies after 5-7 years). It's a necro for sure.