Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minstall alternative for Debian Wheezy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Minstall alternative for Debian Wheezy

haphanhaphan Member
edited February 2014 in General

I've been using this https://github.com/maxexcloo/Minstall for Debian Squeeze

Do we have any alternative or forked Minstall that supports Debian Wheezy?

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

I've been using it just fine on Debian Wheezy with no issues.

• is it working for wheezy? I've tried it at debian 7, but after reboot it just went to kernel panic. I'm using kvm

• Why not just uninstall the packages you don't want?

• matthewvz said: I've been using it just fine on Debian Wheezy with no issues.

I don't think so. I encountered handful of bugs on Wheezy

ErawanArifNugroho said: is it working for wheezy? I've tried it at debian 7, but after reboot it just went to kernel panic. I'm using kvm

Same here. Not working on openvz also.

• Lowendscript does not detect and remove all non-critical packages. Minstall does it.

Tuxlite has no feature to remove superfluous packages.

• arch linux!

• This, but the script as it is in the master did not work for me (appears to do nothing).

I ended up looking through the script in the master branch and listed out the commands required to make it work. The following commands worked for me, but I ONLY tested on OpenVZ:

Commands mostly taken from here, all credit goes to maxexcloo for the below commands.

1. Download the essential/required packages (here). Save/rename this as "base". I compiled this off a KVM minimal install, and it will throw some warnings that can be ignored (not all packages will be found on OpenVZ).

2. I ran only the following commands (Note: I did NOT run apt-get update after a fresh install, seems to cause some problems):

echo -n > /var/lib/apt/extended_states
      apt-get clean -qq

apt-get install dialog
      # Clear DPKG Package Selections
      dpkg --clear-selections
      # Set Package Selections
      dpkg --set-selections < base
      # Get Selections & Set To Purge
      dpkg --get-selections | sed -e 's/deinstall/purge/' > /tmp/dpkg
      # Set Package Selections
      dpkg --set-selections < /tmp/dpkg
      # Update DPKG
      apt-get dselect-upgrade -y -qq
      # Upgrade Any Outdated Packages
      apt-get upgrade -y -qq
      #I lost the ability to shutdown/reboot, so I had to install upstart:
      apt-get install upstart

3. Make sure you apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade. Be sure upstart is still installed after if you need it.

4. Sendmail errors out, but there might be a possible solution here

I really hope that he finishes this script, because the above is messy and not perfect. There might be problems with the above, I do not have a VPS that I can wipe to test this with at the moment.