Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there room for anymore VPS Providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there room for anymore VPS Providers

CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Hey Community!

I have pondered this for a while, what is the point in starting a VPS company.
There are already so many options and most of them are in the same data centre and about the same price.

I mean can you really trust any of these VPS providers with you business? I mean technically you could resell these VPS's but which provider can you trust that is an actual company not someone in a room with a great idea or a mate in a data centre that can get cheap space.

Interested in your comments on the top provider that won't runaway

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

There are plenty of providers that have been around for years and run stable business with decent income.
    You can also check http://lowendbox.com/blog/top-provider-poll-2013-q4-the-results/ .

• Maximum_VPSMaximum_VPS Member
    edited February 2014

What is the point in starting a VPS company.
    To do something you like, give a go at making money, etc. Many reasons still even though there are allot of providers.

I mean can you really trust any of these VPS providers with your business?
    That's for the user to decide, look at the company details, IS it a company? ETC.

Interested in your comments on the top provider that won't run away.
    Who exactly does this define, mean?

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

as in interested in a company that has the longest history year wise on lowend box because most providers disappear

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Prometeus and EDIS I think are the oldest.

• There are vps providers that are born and die every day some people start one and then they cant get anyone and go away. there are some that start off and at some point get bought or merged with another provider. Customers build and destory vms. There is always space as long as you are at the right place at the one time. Customers are getting smarter at seeing though marketing tricks but make sure ur service offers something genueine .

• there's always room for more, it helps the industry evolve. new blood helps clear out the deadwood, though some providers are pretty good at shooting themselves in the foot without the competition.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • There is room

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • New providers are absolutely essential. For every 20 crappy summer or copycat hosts, you'll find an one who can being something fresh to the table and force the big boys to up their game.

• I think there is room, it's just the locations that are overcrowded a bit (US/NL)

• chrisp said: I think there is room, it's just the locations that are overcrowded a bit (US/NL)

BUFFALO

• We need new providers with ultra-lowend VPSes in Iceland/Switzerland ;-)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2014

said: I mean can you really trust any of these VPS providers with you business?

There's maybe few of them...

@skagerrak said:
    We need new providers with ultra-lowend VPSes in Iceland/Switzerland ;-)

And Sweden/Norway/Denmark and FINLAND!

@Nekki said:
    New providers are absolutely essential. For every 20 crappy summer or copycat hosts, you'll find an one who can being something fresh to the table and force the big boys to up their game.

This.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited February 2014

there are many providers, but few trust-able.

• I think there is definitely an oversaturation of providers. However a lot of them fail or give up within a short period of time .

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • To me thats like saying "oh man, burgerking is out there. I guess no more room for places to eat. Guess we shouldn't have grocery stores either thanks to the KING"

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

There is ALWAYS more room for new brands to get acquired and migrated to buffalo.

• VDS6VDS6 Member
    edited February 2014

There are plenty more customers out there. If you learn a second, third, forth and so on language, new markets open up easily. Like in case of our head company. They make most of their sales in Eastern Europe where people do not speak, learn english and do not want to. But they need vps services too.

• @Spirit said:
    And Sweden/Norway/Denmark and FINLAND!

really? what's the interest in Finland?

• larslars Member
    edited February 2014

@Bruce said:

I agree with @Spirit. There are pretty much no low end servers in Northern Europe.

There is use for them, as anywhere in Europe.. is still in Europe and is useful for all Europeans. It is also useful for the 5 million people living in Finland, 10 million in Sweden, 6 million in Norway, etc. :)

However this will never happen, as all people care about is making big money and buying things as cheap as they can, as opposed to quality services.

• @Bruce said:

Finland's cool :)

• @lars said:
    I agree with @Spirit. There are pretty much no low end servers in Northern Europe.

what about Estonia? very close the Finland

• @Bruce said:
    what about Estonia? very close the Finland

There is only Torqhost (Estonia) and EDIS Sweden in Northern Europe afaik that provide quality low end services in Northern Europe.

IcelandVPS doesn't really exist anymore, but it's offshore location got a lot of attention.

I'm sure many people here would be interested in these locations.

• Honestly, the market is saturated with kids under the age of 18, trying to make unofficial businesses and companies. If you're willing to do it right, register your company, have real staff, invest in yourself, etc, then you can really make it big. Just do it right.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

There's no room for another kid renting a dedi server in Buffalo and carving it up for VPSes to make $5/month profit.

There's room for

• VPSes in underserved places. Heck, someone is renting them in Papua New Guinea and I bet he has very little competition.
    • VPSes with different offerings/orientations, though I don't know what those are.
    • Maybe another provider who's just "another solidly run professional host" but you're competing with BuyVM, SecureDragon, etc. at the low end and the KnownHosts/WiredTrees/LiquidWebs/ServInts/etc. at the high end.
  • The vps market is like shared hosting market a few years ago. Back then vpses were expensive and you would have to sell your son to buy one, and shared hosting was easy to start and with cpanel and whm everyone and their grand daughter could open a hosting 'company'.

Solusvm and other softwares have done the same thing for vps market now and the prices have dropped a lot. Even though there are good companies like ramnode etc, kids living in their mom's basement opening vps 'companies' and not even bothering to change the default whmcs logo is what ticks me off.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Is New Zealand a location people are interested in?

• @davenz said:
    Is New Zealand a location people are interested in?

I would expect so, yes. Not too many LE offers from that neck of the woods.

• @jarland said:
    There is ALWAYS more room for new brands to get acquired and migrated to buffalo.

Agree with you there indeed is.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited February 2014

like asking "Is there room for anymore love, beer or pizza"

but if you have too much beer and pizza you'll throw up

• There will always be room for new providers. Every year you will find new providers among the top 10 (or top 3) on the LEB quarterly polls. Competitive pricing for the resources offered plus stability is what allowed Ramnode to enter the market and eventually get to the top (so you have a pretty recent example).