Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will rebooting a server remove OVZ modules?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will rebooting a server remove OVZ modules?

Been trying to get OpenVPN AS up on my server and noticed the node didn't have the correct modules installed..

Apparently my shit as provider UrPAD or crappad as I call it, thinks that rebooting my VPS "frequently" will remove those modules...

Hi,

The issue has been fixed now.Please do verify and don't reboot the server frequently as it will disable all necessary modules.

root@backup:/# cat /dev/net/tun
cat: /dev/net/tun: File descriptor in bad state
root@backup:/#

I hope you can understand the problem now.

Is this legitimate or just a poor excuse?

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Rebooting the vps won't. Rebooting the node will If they haven't set it to modprobe on start up like they should.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Yea I thought so... Useless pricks..

• On the host node, the following will load the module on boot:

echo modprobe tun >> /etc/rc.modules 
    chmod +x /etc/rc.modules

For the CT:

cat /dev/net/tun

If you receive the message "cat: /dev/net/tun: File descriptor in bad state", it's been successfully enabled. Otherwise, you may need to reboot your VPS and disable/enable TUN/TAP again; ensuring that your VPS is rebooted for changes to take affect.

• Yes I know that, if you read the OP ...

Anyway, I got a response.

Hello,

That we'll know whereas,we're saying about the modules "capability net_admin" & "devices" which might be removed while rebooting the VPS.

Thanks

• If you reboot your VPS container it should not disable the modules. Was the host node rebooted perhaps?

• edited February 2014

ATHK said: Yes I know that, if you read the OP ...

Was this directed at myself? You asked a question, for which I provided a rather specific and accurate answer. o_O

As also mentioned by @trewq, using the commands I provided, the module would be loaded on the host node at boot. The CT instructions, assuming that the host node is configured correctly, would enable it for the CT.

• This makes me curious, what did most provider load their module at boot? Is it only few, is it most needed modules or is it all possible modules??

Since some modules only available when the user asked for it. :|

• @TekStorm_James said:
    Was this directed at myself? You asked a question, for which I provided a rather specific and accurate answer. o_O

I don't mean to sound rude but if you read the OP you would see I'm a customer and not in control of the node.

That said I appreciate the help, I highly highly doubt UrPAD will even understand one word you wrote they are incompetent and pathetic...

• edited February 2014

ATHK said: I don't mean to sound rude

Frankly, I think you are somewhat; but, whatever. I took the time to write a detailed response to your question; basically, saying the same as others, but in more detail with specific commands.

To simplify it for you though... If the host node is configured correctly, no; rebooting the VPS shouldn't disable it.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Since you are setting up OpenVPN and dealing with the non existent modules you will eventually run into the problem that you can't masquerade because f*ck.

Here is the magic iptables command that will bridge your VPN and the public interface in your firewall set up. Please note that you will need many more firewall rules.

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o XXXX -j SNAT --to-source XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Replace the first set of XXXX with the actual interface you have regular internet stuff on (eth0, venet0, whatever it is you actually have a real IP on) and the second set of X's with the IP of your VPS (not your VPN).

Also, if you choose not to implement more iptables rules please let me know the IP of your vps because I like things.

• No.

• @ATHK said:
    No.

So... Yes?