Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EU law vs. ICANN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EU law vs. ICANN

gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
Thanked by 1tchen

Comments

• typical yank behavior. They except that the whole galaxy works according to their rule and they simply don't give a fuck about other's rules.

• Surely if the law says you can keep the data "for no longer than is necessary", then if the ICANN rules say 2 years then its necessary to keep the data that long? I didn't really read the article fully, too tired from work, but what am I missing?

• @Jono20201 said:
    Surely if the law says you can keep the data "for no longer than is necessary", then if the ICANN rules say 2 years then its necessary to keep the data that long? I didn't really read the article fully, too tired from work, but what am I missing?

You're missing the bit where the EU commissioner of something stated the longest he could feasibly see the data held is 13 months. (I didn't read it very well either.)

• @abravo said:
    typical yank behavior. They except that the whole galaxy works according to their rule and they simply don't give a fuck about other's rules.

Our internet, our rules

• texteditor said: Our internet, our rules

US governments internet, US governments rules.

Don't you say it's the rules I had any say in.

• Rallias said: US governments internet, US governments rules.

Don't you say it's the rules I had any say in.

We invented it, and you are just lucky we share it with you. Like ownership of the Moon

• @texteditor said:
    We invented it, and you are just lucky we share it with you. Like ownership of the Moon

So how's the internet without any HTTP? ;-)

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • @texteditor said:

"We"? You (texteditor) didn't invent anything for sure.

• Technically the internet was invented in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Mexican laws say that you need to retain your financial data up to 5 ywarsa... But the government may ask for more years a, and you need to have them ready. So, you don't really know how many years :/

• @rmlhhd said:
    Technically the internet was invented in the UK.

Technically, HTTP is not the internet. :D

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@rmlhhd said:
    Technically the internet was invented in the UK.

I'm trying to decide if you're being sarcastic or really think the HTTP == Internet.

Wait. This is LET. You really do think that.

IP Protocol: 1981
    HTTP Protocol: 1996

Server Administrator - Available for Hire

No. You must surrender your geek card and cannot reclaim it until you turn 18.

Thanked by 1Wintereise
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@texteditor said:

Bahahah <3

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2014

texteditor said: We invented it, and you are just lucky we share it with you.

I didn't know that Donald Watts Davies was american ;-)

• @raindog308 said:

I know HTTP is not the internet.

• @rmlhhd said:
    I know HTTP is not the internet.

Regardless we would have gotten along fine with the superior American-created gopher protocol

• @abravo said:
    typical yank behavior. They except that the whole galaxy works according to their rule and they simply don't give a fuck about other's rules.

Come on, America did invent the Internet. I think its fair for the inventor of a idea to have some say in the use of that idea.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2014

The map of the internet in 1969:

• @Silvenga said:
    Come on, America did invent the Internet. I think its fair for the inventor of a idea to have some say in the use of that idea.

Europe did invent America...

Thanked by 1MartinD
  • Since when was Tim Berners-Lee American?
    Wikipedia...

Sir Timothy John "Tim" Berners-Lee, OM, KBE, FRS, FREng, FRSA, DFBCS, also known as "TimBL," is a British computer scientist, best known as the inventor of the World Wide Web.

But that is understandable, as the yanks don't believe in global warming, claim the Earth is only 4000 years old, etc.

Thanked by 1MartinD
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2014

Silvenga said: Come on, America did invent the Internet.

That's not completely true. Developed yes, invented no. Internet was a result of collaboration of many people. Many consider welshman Donald Watts Davies as father of the internet.
    A bit more of reading:

http://www.invent.org/hall_of_fame/328.html
    http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/09/donald-davies/
    http://www.academia.edu/378261/Who_is_the_Father_of_the_Internet_The_Case_for_Donald_Davies
    http://www.theguardian.com/news/2000/jun/02/guardianobituaries2

Having originated the word packet to describe the method he pioneered to enable computers to network with each other, and having created the first network using this method, he has a unique place in its historical development.
    ~academia.edu source

In 1970, Davies helped build a packet switched network called the Mark I to serve the NPL in the UK. It was replaced with the Mark II in 1973, and remained in operation until 1986, influencing other research in the UK and Europe. Larry Roberts of the Advanced Research Projects Agency in the United States became aware of the idea, and built it into the ARPANET, which evolved into the Internet
    ~wiki source

Thanked by 2Infinity MartinD
  • @Spirit said:
    Having originated the word packet to describe the method he pioneered to enable computers to network with each other, and having created the first network using this method, he has a unique place in its historical development.

Poor Paul Baran.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2014

Why poor? :) Donald Davies and Paul Baran were independently working around same things at same time. Part of this is covered also in articles linked above.

The internet and other networks are based on a fundamental idea developed by the computer scientist Donald Watts Davies, who has died aged 75. He is not always given full credit for his contribution because Paul Baran, an American working at the Rand Corporation in California, had independently come up with the same idea. However, Baran was focusing on a way to restructure AT&T's telephone system. Davies was creating a data network, and the design of the Arpanet, the precursor of the internet, was changed completely to adopt his technique.

Also, Davies's term for the idea, which he called "packet switching", was much catchier than Baran's "distributed adaptive message block switching". Davies had considered many possibilities - block, unit, segment, etc - before deciding on packet as a sort of small package. And as he later told Baran: "Well, you may have got there first, but I got the name."

~The Guardian

Anyway, what I tryed to tell is that there's no reason for arrogance of a certain nation. Internet is a result of collaboration of many people of various nations.

• That's much better. Neither Baran nor Davies appreciated it much when only one of either of them was getting credit at any given time (nationalistic papers being what they are). Like you said, their correspondence to each other is covered in a few of the articles which they go on at length about it. It just smacked of something wrong when your post unequivocally mentioned only one - relegating the other inventor into the pool of 'collaborators'.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2014

@tchen you're right of course but that was done strictly in the light of this conversation to show that internet isn't invented by certain nation as some may believe and there's no reason for arrogance. Davies contribution is important but sadly often overlooked. We learn every day something new and its good that you poked me also about Baran. Both names deserve to be mentioned here - and I believe that some LET members know a little bit more about history of the internet now.

Thanked by 1tchen
  • texteditor said: We invented it, and you are just lucky we share it with you. Like ownership of the Moon

CocaCola owns the Moon :P

• @marcm said:

No, just the rights to Santa Claus and polar bears

• What about Radia Perlman? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radia_Perlman

She is sometimes referred to as the "Mother of the Internet",[4] a title which she dislikes

Thanked by 1tchen
  • VPNVPN Member
    edited February 2014

@marcm said:

@texteditor said:
    No, just the rights to Santa Claus and polar bears

Let's not forget that Santa would still be green if it wasn't for Coca Cola's marketing campaign in 1923 :)

It may be safe to say that 45 years ago ARPANET was born following the work of Americans but the internet as we know it today is a far more evolved platform and it is moronic and downright rude for any American to claim 'ownership' over it.

It's like the 'Space Race', just because NASA got to the Moon first, that doesn't mean NASA own it. It was claimed on behalf of mankind and as such every person has the right to set foot on it.

The internet is kept alive for the benefit of the whole world.

The Internet Society (ISOC) was founded in 1992, with a mission to "assure the open development, evolution and use of the Internet for the benefit of all people throughout the world" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

EDIT: The below text pretty much sums up the authority of todays internet and it's relation (or lack of) to ARPANET.

To understand how the Internet is managed today, it is necessary to know a little of its history. The original ARPANET is one of the components which eventually evolved to become the Internet. As its name suggests the ARPANET was sponsored by the Advanced Research Projects Agency within the U.S. Department of Defense.[11] During the development of ARPANET, a numbered series of Request for Comments (RFCs) memos documented technical decisions and methods of working as they evolved. The standards of today's Internet are still documented by RFCs.[12]

Between 1984 and 1986 the U.S. National Science Foundation created the NSFNET backbone, using TCP/IP, to connect their supercomputing facilities. NSFNET became a general-purpose research network, a hub to connect the supercomputing centers to each other and to the regional research and education networks that would in turn connect campus networks.[13] The combined networks became generally known as the Internet. By the end of 1989 Australia, Germany, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom were connected to the Internet, which had grown to contain more than 160,000 hosts.

In 1990, the ARPANET was formally terminated. In 1991 the NSF began to relax its restrictions on commercial use on NSFNET and commercial network providers began to interconnect. The final restrictions on carrying commercial traffic ended on April 30, 1995 when the National Science Foundation ended its sponsorship of the NSFNET Backbone Service and the service ended.[14][15] Today almost all Internet infrastructure in the U.S. and much in other countries is provided and owned by the private sector. Traffic is exchanged between these networks, at major interconnect points, in accordance with established Internet standards and commercial agreements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_governance

• holy shit, you guys are actually arguing about the invention of the Internet?

this thread is soooooo derailed like shit.

Thanked by 2gbshouse Mark_R