Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Private network - help with setup.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Private network - help with setup.

I'm trying to learn how to use private network, what benefits I have from it etc. I'm currently using DigitalOcean and their AMS2 DC for this test.

I have created two test droplets, both with private network, and they are up an running. I have also used this guide, and all is working.

But, is it possible to setup one of the servers to be completely "off the grid", no Internet connection at all, just access from the other test droplet?
What is the best way to do this? I'm using CentOS 6.5 32bit.

Second question, how do I setup one of the servers so the only way to login to it via SSH is from one of the other servers in the private network?

How can I best use my private network, what setups do you run on your private networks?

I'm sure I have more questions, but lets start with this.

Comments

• You can maybe ipmasq (or whatever they call it nowadays, i'm still old school) route all of your traffic through the private subnet to the internet facing box. Then iptables drop all packets going out through the public subnet.

• use iptables, only allow packets from your subnet (for example 192.168.xxx.xxx)

define on the server with iptables that port 22 (or whatever you use for ssh) can only be accessed by your subnet
    also edit sshd_config file, to bind to an internal ip adres and only listen on that.

Thanked by 1myhken