Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does LE* Expect out of a less than 7$ VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What does LE* Expect out of a less than 7$ VPS

GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
edited February 2014 in General

Serious questions, as I keep seeing threads about it; what does the LE* community honestly expect out of a less than $7 VPS? Each point should cover a specific thing I see bitched about a lot here.

Average Ticket Response Time:
[less than 10 Minutes] [30 Minutes] [1-2 Hours] [Within 24 Hours] [2-3 Days]

Average Ticket Resolution Time:
[30 Minutes] [1-2 Hours] [Within 24 Hours] [2-3 Days] [7 Days]

Host Node Uptime:
[95%] [99%] [99.5% [99.9%] [99.95%] [99.99%] [99.999%] [100%]

Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (HDD + RAID):
[1 MB/sec] [10 MB/sec] [100MB/sec] [200MB/sec] [400MB/sec]

Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (SSD +/- RAID):
[10 MB/sec] [100MB/sec] [200MB/sec] [400MB/sec] [800MB/sec]

Minimum Network Speed (on a 100Mbps NIC):
[1 MB/sec] [2 MB/sec] [4MB/sec] [8MB/sec]

Minimum Network Speed (on a 1000Mbps NIC):
[5 MB/sec] [10MB/sec] [20MB/sec] [40MB/sec] [80MB/sec]

RAM expected at $7 price point: (note: actual dedicated RAM, not OpenVZ/oversold)
[256MB] [384MB] [512MB] [768MB] [1024MB] [1536MB] [2048MB]

HDD expected at $7 price point: (again, actual dedicated HDD, not oversold)
[5G] [10G] [15G] [20G] [30G] [40G] [50G] [100G] [.... more]

SSD expected at $7 price point: (again, actual dedicated SSD, not oversold)
[5G] [10G] [15G] [20G] [30G] [40G] [50G] [100G] [.... more]

I don't quite understand why so many people are complaining when a company takes more than 5 seconds to reply to a ticket, or when a VPS you get from a company doesn't have 800MB/sec burst write speed... Maybe the expectations here at LE* are too high?

Or maybe it's just the sour few who like to complain, hence I figure I'd open this poll-ish thread and see what people actually think. The above [] are just suggested answers, of course if you feel differently than you can answer differently. OpenVZ is applicable too, but only if you count the resources you can actually use (not oversold, "burst" or shared).

Thanked by 2Sander RichardLeik

Comments

• I think the answer is, what do you want to offer and realistically what you can achieve? No point having someone expect unmetered if you can't offer it properly etc.

• @concerto49 said:

The GVH fallacy, as it will be called henceforth. Unmetered bandwidth in ColoCrossing... yeab, no.

• AutoSnipeAutoSnipe Member
    edited February 2014
    ~24 hours
    ~1-2 days
    95%
    4mb
    10mb
    384mb
    5g

Then again I'm fairly easy to please.
    And my $6 yearly bandwagonhost vps' do that (except the space and ram, only just though)

I'm expectant of other users been on the server using the bandwidth at the same time I am, just it's at least gotta be usable.

• I expect a VPS that is working and i don't have to worry if it will be up or down. The applications that i put on VPSes are usually not that resource intensive - i rarely need more than 512MB of RAM or a few GB of disk space.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Personally, I value uptime, customer service response, and technical skills over hard disk space and I/O speed, and even RAM.

• HardCloud said: The GVH fallacy, as it will be called henceforth. Unmetered bandwidth in ColoCrossing... yeab, no.

I guess you didn't even understand and try to take in what it means. It's not GVH related. Ok, all the best. Tried.

• Average Ticket Response Time:
    [less than 10 Minutes]

[30 Minutes]

Host Node Uptime:
    [100%]

[400MB/sec]

[800MB/sec]

[8MB/sec]

[80MB/sec]

RAM expected at $7 price point: (note: actual dedicated RAM, not OpenVZ/oversold)
    [2048MB]

[.... more]

[.... more]

• @0xdragon said:
    [less than 10 Minutes]

[30 Minutes]

Glad to see you took the question realistically.

• For a $7 service I want:

Friendly customer service with 6 hour response for general tickets. High priority tickets an hour. I appreciate small teams and one man shows and understand slower ticket times.

Being down stinks but hardware fails, attacks happen. Most of my services are 100% uptime for months at a time, but im okay with 99.5%.

I get what I pay for. If I purchase 60gb hd I want access to all of it. I realize overselling is common and I'm okay with that as long as the operator has the funding and knowledge to either upgrade current hardware or add additional servers before stability issues arise.

As long as my sites function as intended I'm not concerned with tests. If it wasn't for reviews I post I would probably never run any tests.

Specs: 512mb ram. 25ssd 100gb bandwidth with friendly customer service and I'm happy.

• @PcJamesy said:
    Glad to see you took the question realistically.

He asked what LE* wanted, and that's what I think LE* wants.

• I'm very happy with the legitimate responses so far in this thread, and a few quick jokes / pokes are fine too. I just wish that all of these keysmash usernames would also put this bit of thought into their purchases here too.

The saying stands strong, "You get what you pay for."

@concerto49 said:

Let me rephrase my response then, since I'm pretty sure you're picking at GoodHosting's claim to offer Unmetered bandwidth. GoodHosting's Unmetered bandwidth is offered as a "fair use" service, in that overages will not be charged. However, we will still act on abuse reports from upstream providers or other service providers, as well as suspicious traffic (P2P, etcetera.)

The service is targeted at legitimate customers who shouldn't have to deal with worrying about their bandwidth use. Especially since our new services are DDoS Protected, and incoming bandwidth is not metered (even for us.)

We only pay for outgoing bandwidth, and we have 50 TB per server + bandwidth pooling; so our side is covered pretty well as far as a stable offering. If anyone has a legitimate complaint or is legitimately unable to use the bandwidth; and we'd be happy to compensate them if they are. We're not in the line of scamming people, and would much rather people stopped making baseless jabs and complaints without ever having been a customer, or having a service.

(The above is NOT pointed at you specifically, but at others that know they are guilty of this...)

• Average Ticket Response Time:

>

12 hours

>

1-2 day(s)

Host Node Uptime:

>

99%

>

20-30 MB/sec

>

100 MB/sec

>

(keep in mind that i dont care about SSD, i'm more about the HDD Capacity)

>

7-10 MB/sec

>

30 MB/sec

>

512MB

>

10G

>

7G

I would like to add that i mainly care about how reliable the VPS performs overall

support at this price range i see more as Voluntary and is something i try avoid using unless it is a critical issue on their end.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited February 2014

I expect hosters to act professional mainly. There can be an outage of course, this is just normal and even happens to Google and Amazon as we see sometimes. It is just important how they handle it. I expect a hoster to send me a message when the node gets rebooted, when network will be or was down for more than one minute or if the node has been down for some reason.

Some time ago I stopped buying ultimate LEBs because they cannot be good for the $. It is just not possible, you get what you pay for. And I always had some trouble with providers in some way (may it be downtime without any notification or other issues).

[1-2 Hours]

[2-3 Days]

Host Node Uptime:
    [99.9%]

[100MB/sec]

[200MB/sec]

[3MB/sec]

[14MB/sec]

[768MB]

[20G]

[10G]

• @Mark_R said:
    support at this price range i see more as Voluntary and is something i try avoid using unless it is a critical issue on their end.

Nice answers all in all, the only thing that confuses me a bit is this:

7-10 MB/sec

The theoretical limit for a 100Mbps port is 12.5MB/sec ; which you'd frankly be lucky getting 10MB/sec even, given network overheads, driver overheads, etc. (The only driver that is limited at 100Mbps from the base KVM pools is Realtek; which has a serious overhead, getting 100Mbps on that driver is pretty hard, even with lab-testing type bandwidth.)

7MB+ would be about what you might expect as an upper limit, but if there are 40 VPSes on a dual E5 node (not that surprising in the low end market), you would need to have quad bonded GigE interfaces to support that, which I'm pretty sure hosts are not using (in the same budget market.)

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited February 2014

@HardCloud said:
    7MB+ would be about what you might expect as an upper limit, but if there are 40 VPSes on a dual E5 node (not that surprising in the low end market), you would need to have quad bonded GigE interfaces to support that, which I'm pretty sure hosts are not using (in the same budget market.)

Usually the VPS i buy are not in the $7 price range (13-15 USD) but i just wrote down what I would expect for that price, i think that the specs i wrote down were pretty reasonable for both parties.

If a vps provides less than 7 MB/s in network speed then i think it is not worth to have it

my own homeconnection would be much better than that.

• I expect that I get what they promise. So if a $7/mo promise a fully managed server, with no overselling, pure SSD, etc etc, I expect all that.
    If a $7 or a $50 host promise 99.9% uptime, I expect i from both, and do not think it's more OK for the $7 host to have less then 99.9% uptime.
    If a $7 host promise 2 GB RAM, I want to use 2 GB RAM without any issues.

With a unmanaged host I don't expect much help from support, beside when there is a issue with their hardware/network. Then I don't think it's ok with 1-2 day response time on a ticket.

So, don't offer anything you can't deliver, and I will be a happy customer.
    Do something extra, that I don't expect, and I will most likely stay for a very long time.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2014

myhken said: I expect that I get what they promise. So if a $7/mo promise a fully managed server, with no overselling, pure SSD, etc etc, I expect all that. If a $7 or a $50 host promise 99.9% uptime, I expect i from both, and do not think it's more OK for the $7 host to have less then 99.9% uptime. If a $7 host promise 2 GB RAM, I want to use 2 GB RAM without any issues.

With a unmanaged host I don't expect much help from support, beside when there is a issue with their hardware/network. Then I don't think it's ok with 1-2 day response time on a ticket.

So, don't offer anything you can't deliver, and I will be a happy customer. Do something extra, that I don't expect, and I will most likely stay for a very long time.

Pretty much this. If a host can't deliver something, they shouldn't be promising it.

• @HardCloud said: Serious questions, as I keep seeing threads about it; what does the LE* community honestly expect out of a less than $7 VPS?

This what is advertised. And that's often a problem in LEB market.

said: Maybe the expectations here at LE* are too high?

That's possible, especially because how big this market grown and some hosts spoiled us with their high standards. But then again also promises are often too big. (ie. it's easy to advertise 24/7 support, reply to ticket within hour, etc.. but a bit harder to deliver this as one-man-host).

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2014

30Minutes

24Hours up to 2-3 Days

99.9% +

[100MB/sec]

[400MB/sec]

[8MB/sec]

[30MB/sec]

[512MB]

[15G]

[10G]

• rds100 said: I expect a VPS that is working and i don't have to worry if it will be up or down.

Exactly this. I expect a VPS that is reliable. I judge reliability by uptime (network & hardware), and consistency of performance. Performance doesn't have to be high performance, just consistent, so that I know what to expect and can use it accordingly.

All of the other factors -- RAM, disk, etc. should simply scale with price. Want more? pay more. But the base reliability is the same.

HardCloud said: The saying stands strong, "You get what you pay for."

In the case of bad providers, yes it's true.

But don't try to blame high expectations on consumers. Expectations are driven by advertising, and advertising is controlled by the providers.

• said: Serious questions, as I keep seeing threads about it; what does the LE* community honestly expect out of a less than $7 VPS? Each point should cover a specific thing I see bitched about a lot here.

I always expect what the provider offer for $7 or less and usually providers who offered 128mb memory and below expects customer to have a sufficient knowledge to administer the box.

I don't expect much help from support if the provider deliver what they offered, but when there is any incident beyond my power, I expect them to have sufficient technical skills and response in a timely manner.

To me personally, a good relation with my provider is important. I don't expect much support from a one man show operation as long as he/she has the sufficient knowledge to administer servers and knows what to do and explain the situation properly when an incident occur .

However, I would be pissed off when a big company with a handful of 24/7 support staff replies in a one line 3 stage standard reply:

"We will investigate the issue we encounter"

"We have found out the issue and escalate it to a higher level tech"

"We have send tech to resolve the problem"

and after 5 days the ticket has ben closed but the problem is still there.

• Average Ticket Response Time: [Within 24 Hours]
    Average Ticket Resolution Time: [2-3 Days] 
    Host Node Uptime: [99.9%]
    Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (HDD + RAID): [100MB/sec]
    Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (SSD +/- RAID): [400MB/sec] 
    Minimum Network Speed (on a 100Mbps NIC): [1 MB/sec]
    Minimum Network Speed (on a 1000Mbps NIC): [5 MB/sec]
    RAM expected at $7 price point: [1024MB]
    HDD expected at $7 price point: [50G] 
    SSD expected at $7 price point:  [30G]

• Average Ticket Response Time: [Within 24 Hours]

Average Ticket Resolution Time: [1-3 Days]

Host Node Uptime: [99.9%] --- [100%]

Making a note, that the host should have atleast that. If its not oversold and not crawling with abusers, so just regular maintenance (kernel updates, upgrades etc..)

VPS Uptime [99%] --- [100%]

Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (HDD + RAID): [50MB/sec] --- [100MB/sec]

Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (SSD +/- RAID): [100MB/sec] --- [400MB/sec]

Minimum Network Speed (on a 100Mbps NIC): [5MB/sec]

(shared, and probably oversold, if not, then absolutely higher!! )

Minimum Network Speed (on a 1000Mbps NIC): [40MB/sec]

RAM [512MB]

HDD [20G] --- [30G]

SSD [10G] --- [15G]

With MB/sec i think of MBytes not Mbits otherwise higher

• LexLex Member
    edited February 2014

Average Ticket Response Time: [Within 24 Hours]

Average Ticket Resolution Time: [Within 24 Hours]

Host Node Uptime: [95%]

Minimum Network Speed (on a 100Mbps NIC): [8MB/sec]

Minimum Network Speed (on a 1000Mbps NIC): [80MB/sec]

RAM expected at $7 price point: (note: actual dedicated RAM, not OpenVZ/oversold [1024MB]

HDD expected at $7 price point: (again, actual dedicated HDD, not oversold) [50G]

SSD expected at $7 price point: (again, actual dedicated SSD, not oversold) [30G]

• @DalComp said:

> Average Ticket Response Time: [Within 24 Hours]
    > Average Ticket Resolution Time: [2-3 Days] 
    > Host Node Uptime: [99.9%]
    > Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (HDD + RAID): [100MB/sec]
    > Minimum I/O Speed (burst): (SSD +/- RAID): [400MB/sec] 
    > Minimum Network Speed (on a 100Mbps NIC): [1 MB/sec]
    > Minimum Network Speed (on a 1000Mbps NIC): [5 MB/sec]
    > RAM expected at $7 price point: [1024MB]
    > HDD expected at $7 price point: [50G] 
    > SSD expected at $7 price point:  [30G]
    > 

That's about what I would expect too. So far both SecureDragon (which isn't on LEB) and RamNode has surpassed those requirements. BlueVM, not so much, but that was more along the line of my VPS getting rebooted randomly, so uptime wasn't that good.

• When i think about what i want it really depends on the model the hosting company is providing. If they are not at a loss with there server and want to get some LE* customers on there to make a quick buck to afford another server then i expect to have the same service as the customers paying full price. Since my businesses was imprint for you to scale. These are also the same hosts that keep low stock of LE* offers because we are to supplement there existing businesses when its needed.

Now if the provider is simple selling LE* only services then i dont really expect that much. I expect the host machine to be oversold if not overloaded. I expect that tickets should at least get responded with in 2-3 days, and resolved with in a week. Uptime of the node should be 99.0% disk and speeds are simply going to very based on how many absuive customers they have.

Now the LE* providers that provide outstanding service are going to be the next big thing in hosting so really where do you want your bossiness to fall under when the dust has cleared.

• what do we expect ??

• Swedes will understand.

• XeiXei Member
    edited February 2014

I think there's plenty of people out there that would choose reliability/stability/uptime which go hand in hand over anything else really. Though I will say there are certainly those on LE* who make it seem like they expect near instant response times... which I think is unreasonable unless the provider makes such unrealistic claims. As far as I/O, the community is always benchmarking that, but I find that benchmark useless. If I really needed the highest I/O because I'm running an intensive program that requires it, I'd be looking for a dedicated solution.

Perhaps the most vocal crowd is the neediest, or maybe most users just believe the benchmark used here is all that matters since they it's constantly referred to.

• Average Ticket Response Time: [30 Minutes] 
    Average Ticket Resolution Time: [Within 24 Hours]
    Host Node uptime: [99.9%]
    Minimum Network Speed (on a 100Mbps NIC): [4MB/sec]
    Minimum Network Speed (on a 1000Mbps NIC): [10MB/sec]
    RAM expected at $7 price point: (note: actual dedicated RAM, not OpenVZ/oversold) [256MB]
    HDD expected at $7 price point: (again, actual dedicated HDD, not oversold) [10G]
    SSD expected at $7 price point: (again, actual dedicated SSD, not oversold) [5G]