Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's an utter frustration when the clientarea is down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

It's an utter frustration when the clientarea is down

ironhideironhide Member
edited February 2014 in General

From this morning FTPIT's client area is down. Though the VPS is running VERY slow, but in solus they are not accessible and ssh daemon is also down. Now this is an utter frustration because when clientarea is down, you literally have no way to contact the support.

I was just wondering, what it takes to put clientarea behind a DDoS protected IP or whatever?

:(

( @ftpit, @ftpit_radi)

Comments

• @ironhide said:

It actually takes quite a bit to put your website+client area behind a good DDoS mitigation service, and there will always be ways around it (such as finding the server's actual IP address, etc.) It's never fullproof.

Google Shield may be a solution for the masses, whenever this comes out.

CloudFlare Enterprise/Business is also an option, but not full proof.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

HardCloud said: It actually takes quite a bit to put your website+client area behind a good DDoS mitigation service, and there will always be ways around it (such as finding the server's actual IP address, etc.) It's never fullproof.

I am not sure I understand what you mean if the IP is protected what difference does it make if the attacker knows it ?

• maybe client area + vps are hosted together

• @Maounique said:

I was speaking more along the lines of reverse-proxy DDoS protection, or proxy protection (such as those that use CloudFlare as a DDoS mitigation service.) If the attacker gets your server's actual IP, it doesn't do you any good.

• @jcaleb Bad idea :))

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

HardCloud said: good DDoS mitigation service

HardCloud said: finding the server's actual IP address

If you're using a "good DDoS mitigation service", there is no non-mitigated IP to find.

• @joepie91 said:
    If you're using a "good DDoS mitigation service", there is no non-mitigated IP to find.

He was talking about reverse proxy based protection, if that is not configured properly on the server that is being covered by the reverse proxy then the real ip might be broadcasted instead of the proxy ip.

It is more like hiding the original server IP and taking the big hits as an overlay.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2014

Mark_R said: He was talking about reverse proxy based protection,

Which is not "good DDoS mitigation service", for this and other reasons.

EDIT: Not to mention that any DDoS mitigation company worth their salt, will offer you GRE tunnels and such, rather than just reverse proxying.

• @joepie91 said:
    EDIT: Not to mention that any DDoS mitigation company worth their salt, will offer you GRE tunnels and such, rather than just reverse proxying.

I see reverse proxies more as a budget protection, it works fine and saves alot of money.

Ofcourse usually the protection will be shared so you arent going to get the true promised gbit protection, it all depends on how much you are willing to invest in keeping your business online.

And yes some services offer GRE tunnel with it for free

a very good provider for this is http://www.x4b.net/protection/features

i've been using them for a long time now without issues.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Is it still an issue? The client area loads just fine here. I will get somebody to work on the VPS if it's still an issue.

• support123support123 Member
    edited February 2014

Our emails were working,you could have emailed.Well we are moving the client area very soon anyway.Sorry about the inconvenience

• support123support123 Member
    edited February 2014

said: I was just wondering, what it takes to put clientarea behind a DDoS protected IP or whatever?

It was under cloudflare,but for some weird reasons,they have stopped accepting my card so i have to move :( Card is full and legit which is the more sad reason.

said: From this morning FTPIT's client area is down. Though the VPS is running VERY slow, but in solus they are not accessible and ssh daemon is also down

I think everything was mitigated quickly,please open a ticket if you are still facing any issue

• HardCloud said: CloudFlare Enterprise/Business is also an option, but not full proof.

What sort of bugs have you seen in cloudflare? i have seen the email bypass but normally i just proxy my emails to another machine that i dont care about that much. VM on digitalocean or something.

ftpit said: It was under cloudflare,but for some weird reasons,they have stopped accepting my card so i have to move :( Card is full and legit which is the more sad reason.

Interesting i have never had an issue with there billing and i think i had them for over a year by now.

• wojons said: Interesting i have never had an issue with there billing and i think i had them for over a year by now.

I do not know,even their support could not provide much details on it.

Probably because he is from eastern europe or something. I also get random rejections because of that, support is also unable to provide details, I dont even inquire as of late.

• I am from India.

Well, as long as you are not from US/EU or at least western europe/canada and their territories (even then there is discrimination) you are worthless in their eyes, so, India, Pakistan, Morocco, Eastern Europe, China, all the same, poor people which are all crooks and thieves, not worth taking their money.

Thanked by 1support123
  • I think it's more the "risk" from those countries, no?