Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want run a wordpress site. Which OS should i use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I want run a wordpress site. Which OS should i use?

Centos 6 or ubuntu

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Whichever OS is easiest for you.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • I'm still learning linux this is my first year

• CharlesACharlesA Member
    edited February 2014

The OS doesn't matter as far as security goes, especially with web applications.

As long as you keep wordpress up-to-date and keep backups, you will be fine no matter what OS you run, provided you secure that OS - restrict ssh access, etc.

Use whatever you are most familiar with.

• ubuntu

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

ubuntu is by far the easiest to manage

• alright i will give ubuntu a try

• Debian.

• why Debian?

@budi1413 said:
    Debian.

• @budi1413 said:
    Debian.

+1 on the debian

@lukenstine said:
    why Debian?

>

dont get me wrong there are lots of other good os's out there. I find debian to be a happy middle ground between ubuntu and centos with backage version numbers. Also anytime that debian install is getting a little to old package wise you can always update to the sid branch which has the newest testing packages. Also its been a while since i tired it in ubuntu but in debian its not a nitemare to upgrade to the next version from the prevouse one but really i recommend learning configeration mangment so u can just fresh install.

• I see a lot of threads like this where most people will reply with their recommendations to the OP's question and yet offer no justification whatsoever.

When you say for example Debian or CentOS or Ubuntu, tell us why you think so!

On that note... my answer to the question is

Debian :D

• Just use whatever you have learned so far, whichever you know and comfortable with the most. Along the time, learn some other OS. You can always migrate your website later on.

• Ubuntu for desktop, Debian and centos for server.

• Ubuntu easiest. Tons of docs in the internet. Many community expects you have 0 background in linux, so instructions are copy paste idiot proof

• @jcaleb said:
    Ubuntu easiest. Tons of docs in the internet. Many community expects you have 0 background in linux, so instructions are copy paste idiot proof

This is a pretty good answer, Ubuntu is more n00b friendly and the forums are reasonably welcoming but once you get to know you'll way around Debian is probably better choice as it's perfect for low memory environment.

• @jcaleb said:
    Ubuntu easiest. Tons of docs in the internet. Many community expects you have 0 background in linux, so instructions are copy paste idiot proof

One thing to say is the Ubuntu docs work for Debian 99.9% of the time. Debian also has decent docs of its own.

• kaflo said: When you say for example Debian or CentOS or Ubuntu, tell us why you think so!

Debian 7, with dotdeb.org repo for nginx and php-fpm. And Wordpress with Nginx Helper plugin.

That'll give you everything you need for using nginx's fastcgi_cache with Wordpress, which is awesome (fastcgi_cache I mean).

• CharlesACharlesA Member
    edited February 2014

sleddog said: Debian 7, with dotdeb.org repo for nginx and php-fpm. And Wordpress with Nginx Helper plugin.

That'll give you everything you need for using nginx's fastcgi_cache with Wordpress, which is awesome (fastcgi_cache I mean).

That's pretty much how I have my Debian Wheezy box set up (minus wordpress cuz I haven't gotten nginx to cooperate with it).

• Debian or Ubuntu. I suggest debian because it is lighter though.

• CentOS with the ius-community & nginx repos; nginx straight from the source and regularly updated PHP/MySQL.

• Slackware.

• is ubuntu similar to debian?

• Ubuntu is based on Debian

• @kaflo said:
    I see a lot of threads like this where most people will reply with their recommendations to the OP's question and yet offer no justification whatsoever.

Where is your justification?

• For a total Linux beginner, I would say start with Ubuntu/Debian, just because it is easier to get the website working from a fresh install.

If you use CentOS you will have to deal with iptables and SELinux which might not be obvious for a beginner.

• @namhuy +1 best answer

• @hazrulnizam You can turn off both of them. But yes, CentOS is not for beginners.

• GENTOO

• I would recommend Debian, but I still use CentOS. Ironic

• I have used CentOS from the start on my servers with WordPress. I do find Howto guides for almost everything on Google, so it's not often I have to ask people on forums for help.
    I was testing out Debian a couple of weeks, but since all my Linux knowledge is based on CentOS, it was not so easy going to Debian, so closed that project.

I think the main point is that if you have not used any Linux OS before, it's almost the same what you go for, just stick with it. And Google will be your friend for a long time :D

• edited February 2014

@kaflo said:
    I see a lot of threads like this where most people will reply with their recommendations to the OP's question and yet offer no justification whatsoever.

The irony.