Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS Misunderstanding of unmanaged service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS Misunderstanding of unmanaged service

m0dg0dm0dg0d Member
edited February 2014 in Providers

I purchased a 2nd vps with them and asked to copy all files from my first vps to the new one.
After about 20 Support tickets they still not understand what i mean.

Cheap staff members (whitout experience)

EDIT: How can i tell this to them so they understand?

Comments

• Thanked by 1Pwner
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Please clone my VM

Thanked by 1Darwin
  • In an unmanaged service they do not have any obligation to move files for you in your second vps. It is so easy to do it yourself (e.g. rsync). If you can't, maybe you should think again to move yourself to a shared hosting or rent a managed vps. I had from time to time several issues with CVPS, but don't blame the providers for something they really don't have to deal with but is client's problem.

Thanked by 2Mark_R Asim
  • vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited February 2014

If I may suggest you would want to change the line:

"Cheap country name staff members??"

to

"Cheap outsource staff members??"

As I believe there are many qualified IT tech & engineer in that country. :)

Edit: @m0dg0d thanks for the change :)

Thanked by 1Asim
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@jvnadr said:
    In an unmanaged service they do not have any obligation to move files for you in your second vps. It is so easy to do it yourself (e.g. rsync). If you can't, maybe you should think again to move yourself to a shared hosting or rent a managed vps. I had from time to time several issues with CVPS, but don't blame the providers for something they really don't have to deal with but is client's problem.

I think his problem is with staff failing to understand what he wants, not refusing to actually do it. Which is a perfectly legitimate concern (regardless of whether a service is managed or unmanaged), as it's virtually a guarantee that when there is a problem, communication will be a problem.

Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n Lee
  • Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited February 2014

@m0dg0d said:
    I purchased a 2nd vps with them and asked to copy all files from my first vps to the new one.
    After about 20 Support tickets they still not understand what i mean.

Cheap pakistan staff members??

EDIT: How can i tell this to them so they understand?

It is solely your responsibility to do it as its an unmanaged service but even if this was not the case racist people like you deserve no sympathy!

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2014

@joepie91 You have a point, but a lot of providers here having extremely cheap prices. So, if clients use the support system for tasks like "please move my files" or "please install a firewall for me" (just some examples), then even an answering to those tickets will increase the cost of the support. Even if this could be a sign of a poor support system when a provider won't answer to such tickets, I think that is unfair to blame in public forums a company for something that is our full responsibility to solve.

• @K2Bytes said:
    It is solely your responsibility to do it as its an unmanaged service but even this was not the case racist people like you deserve no sympathy!

not the race thing again.. -_-

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited February 2014

@Mark_R said:
    not the race thing again.. -_-

I am a Pakistani & have been offended by his remarks

• @K2Bytes said:
    I am a Pakistani & have been offended by his remarks

I'm sorry, just changed it to ''experienced staff''

@jvnadr said:
    joepie91 You have a point, but a lot of providers here having extremely cheap prices. So, if clients use the support system for tasks like "please move my files" or "please install a firewall for me" (just some examples), then even an answering to those tickets will increase the cost of the support. Even if this could be a sign of a poor support system when a provider won't answer to such tickets, I think that is unfair to blame in public forums a company for something that is our full responsibility to solve.

Huh? I fail to see how that's a justification for support simply not understanding the question, rather than just stating that it's an unmanaged service, and it's not included. What you say seems in direct contradiction to what I said, so I'm not sure where your "you have a point" comes from...

• @joepie91 said:
    I think his problem is with staff failing to understand what he wants, not refusing to actually do it. Which is a perfectly legitimate concern (regardless of whether a service is managed or unmanaged), as it's virtually a guarantee that when there is a problem, communication will be a problem.

You're right, they aren't understading a simple question: ''Clone my first vps'' to my new vps. So i dont need to re-install everything. ( Its only a few clicks for them)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

The fact they did not understand the question is silly, but I have to ask, why do you think they should do a task you should be perfectly capable of doing yourself for you?

• Can we see those 20 tickets?

Thanked by 2Mark_R Inglar
  • DalCompDalComp Member
    edited February 2014

jvnadr said: then even an answering to those tickets will increase the cost of the support.

Well OP said he opened 20 support tickets but he didn't say the tickets are not answered. Instead, OP said they did not understand the request which implies that the tickets are indeed answered. Now since there is no cost difference anyway, the question is whether the support actually understand but refuse to help (as it is not their duty) or they just do not understand the request (sign of communication problem)? Nobody can judge until details or ticket screenshot(s) are provided or CVPS side makes confirmation.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • vedran said: Can we see those 20 tickets?

This.

Thanked by 2Maounique Darwin
  • @drserver said:
    Please clone my VM

As op didn't delivered those 20 tickets yet, I am going to bet that this is what he wanted but didn't crystal clear asked for.

• @joepie91 said:
    I think his problem is with staff failing to understand what he wants, not refusing to actually do it.

This is accurate. Despite the customer calling us stupid in the ticket, we are cloning it for free even though we generally charge a $5.00 fee to do so (because this is an unmanaged service).

He will be informed through the ticket he opened when it is done.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @CVPS_Mark said:

tbh, if I had to open 20 tickets to just get this point across, I would be calling you stupid aswell.

• I would probably agree with you if he actually opened twenty. He only opened one ticket though, so that portion of this thread is irrelevant.

• @CVPS_Mark said:
    I would probably agree with you if he actually opened twenty. He only opened one ticket though, so that portion of this thread is irrelevant.

I'd presume he actually means 20 replies to that ticket.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I think that the problem is the customer has too many expectations of an unmanaged VPS - I've personally never had any problems with their support for my VPS I do have with them.

• @joepie91 I mean that they could answer that this is an unmanaged server as you stated to show their client that their support is active and responded, but again IMO that they don't have the obligation to do so.

Oh, and maybe the OP should give us the dialogues of the ticket that caused the conclusion of "not understanding".

• About two weeks ago I screwed up my vps with then they had no issue restoring it from a weekly backup. Mind sharing your tickets screenshots.

• I guess they just trolled you.

• LeeLee Veteran

shovenose said: I think that the problem is the customer has too many expectations of an unmanaged VPS

Not really. If providers would simply say "no, it's unmanaged" then there is no issue. But so many tend to open the door to clients, if you are willing to get involved in a customers issue then you are committed and need to see it through. You can't say part way through that its unmanaged.

Fear that the customer will leave is probably why.

• Why don't you copy them yourself? Maybe you should get managed hosting or shared if you don't need much resources.

• Why not just:
    scp -r /files/ [email protected]:/files/

As long is there are not databases involved then this should be all you need to do.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited February 2014

K2Bytes said: I am a Pakistani & have been offended by his remarks

LOL on another forum @myelin asked a local host whether he could mine crypto on their VPS. They said yes :)

jvnadr said: @joepie91 I mean that they could answer that this is an unmanaged server as you stated to show their client that their support is active and responded, but again IMO that they don't have the obligation to do so.

I'm not sure how often I need to repeat this... I understand that it is an unmanaged service. I understand that they are under no obligation to clone a VM. I am not expecting them to do this.

I am just pointing out that "problematic communication" is a valid concern, regardless of what the question was, because the question wasn't understood to begin with.

I'm running out of possible ways to phrase this. Your entire response is irrelevant to the topic at hand, and I've already pointed out several times that I am not disputing what you said, just pointing out that it hadn't even gotten to that stage of communication yet.