Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Potential Pastebin Service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Potential Pastebin Service

So I recently got a really good domain and am wondering if it is worth starting up a pastebin site on it. I have scoped out ZeroBin due to security/anonymity.

Domain: pastieb.in

Though if anyone is interested in the domain, I may consider offers.

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Why create something that's already available and free? Not to mention there are a lot of other paste bin type things on the web :/

Thanked by 1Grimmy2
  • Too many pastebin sites already. And not really profitable imho

• @ATHK said:
    Why create something that's already available and free? Not to mention there are a lot of other paste bin type things on the web :/

Mainly as it seems most popular ones are just starting to put more restrictions on.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@pcfreak30 said:
    Mainly as it seems most popular ones are just starting to put more restrictions on.

Like?

• @joepie91 said:
    Like?

Pastebin.com. Pastie.org has a bigger restriction on size than pastebin as well.

@pcfreak30 said:
    Pastebin.com. Pastie.org has a bigger restriction on size than pastebin as well.

https://gist.github.com/

• I am aware of gist. Though I was considering starting one based on the very short name & the fact the name is basically a vanity domain.

@pcfreak30 said:
    I am aware of gist. Though I was considering starting one based on the very short name & the fact the name is basically a vanity domain.

I can't help but feel like it'd just become one more way to lose data over time. Pastebins, like URL shorteners, are one of those services that people tend to lose interest in after a while, and that lead to data loss for people who used them.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • pcfreak30 said: the fact the name is basically a vanity domain.

If it were pasteb.in, I might consider it vanity(might), but pastieb.in doesn't really sound very good or feel like a vanity domain name to me. Also, just because someone has a vanity domain does not mean people will want to use their service. Like, "Look, OMG, their domain is awesome, I totally want to trust them with my data!" will not happen in real life.

• Just redirect it to Pastebin ...

• If you think there is a market for it and u have the name for it then its worth a try as long as ur really willing to commit to it. I am sure there is money to be made users to get and all of it but many of the people that will use a pastebin with encryption built in are for one going to prope you to make sure ur following the rules and not making a backdoor. Next if they can tell ur heart is not in it they will drop you. I would say try seeing if you can help them with the github project and not just take from the opensource world (assuming that is not ur project).

• well pastebin sites get censored by some govts every now and then, so there s always need for new ones in some places (audiences)

• @ATHK said:
    Just redirect it to Pastebin ...

/thread

• @kerouac said:
    well pastebin sites get censored by some govts every now and then, so there s always need for new ones in some places (audiences)

That's where Zerobin is for, can't be censored because they can't know what the paste says/contains..

• You'd probably have to deal with plenty of take down notices, if that's what you want. And you'd have to anticipate sudden traffic spikes - for instance, if something that's posted on your pastebin site is suddenly getting mainstream attention. The only way to generate some revenue out of this is by placing advertisement - just not sure how many advertisers are keen on having their ads shown on pastebin-like sites... the payout is probably rather low (no hard facts, just a guess).

• edited January 2014

@Chumbi said:
    You'd probably have to deal with plenty of take down notices, if that's what you want. And you'd have to anticipate sudden traffic spikes - for instance, if something that's posted on your pastebin site is suddenly getting mainstream attention. The only way to generate some revenue out of this is by placing advertisement - just not sure how many advertisers are keen on having their ads shown on pastebin-like sites... the payout is probably rather low (no hard facts, just a guess).

Uh... What textual content could possibly cause a takedown notice? Legitimate ones, that is...

• MitchellRobert said: Uh... What textual content could possibly cause a takedown notice? Legitimate ones, that is...

For example content linking to illegal content - links to copyrighted content, links to stolen content, etc.

Take a look how many takedown notices Google receives for search results linking to pastebin:

http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/removals/copyright/domains/pastebin.com/

And you can bet that the same lawyers write to pastebin to take down the text.

• @MitchellRobert said:
    That's where Zerobin is for, can't be censored because they can't know what the paste says/contains..

I don't know what Zerobin is but I don't see how that means it cannot be censored. If it has a known domain name and is suspected of being a tool of people the gov't doesn't like; bye bye!

• @kerouac said:
    I don't know what Zerobin is but I don't see how that means it cannot be censored. If it has a known domain name and is suspected of being a tool of people the gov't doesn't like; bye bye!

Zerobin uses client-side encryption so the pastebin service (or the host for that matter) can't know what the plain text contents of a paste are.

Furthermore, there are tons of these Zerobin instances, the government shutting them all down because there could potentionally be data in they don't like goes far beyond censorship and against human rights.

• I have 3 VPS running zero bin now. Good for discussion with small group. And sending one time message.

I have registered a domain last week - bin.?? Think to use it dedicated for zero bin.

• You could probably sell the domain for a lot of money, you might want to consider that, there are already tons of pastie sites out there

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Most people using paste in sites are smart enough to use AdBlock...there goes your ad revenue.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    You could probably sell the domain for a lot of money, you might want to consider that, there are already tons of pastie sites out there

I have prepaid that domain for 5 years. Will keep it for sometime.

• @smile93 said:
    I have prepaid that domain for 5 years. Will keep it for sometime.

What domain did you get?

@BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    You could probably sell the domain for a lot of money, you might want to consider that, there are already tons of pastie sites out there

Who were you referring to? Me or @smile93 ?

• @pcfreak30 said:

My domain name:

bin.??
    ?? <- country code

Registered last week, pre paid for 5 years.

It is still empty, point to no way.

Now, it is long holiday here. Enjoy my vacation.

@kerouac said:
    well pastebin sites get censored by some govts every now and then, so there s always need for new ones in some places (audiences)

A better approach would be using something like TOR to circumvent the blocks as a whole.

MitchellRobert said: That's where Zerobin is for, can't be censored because they can't know what the paste says/contains..

Not strictly true. Normally entire domains are blocked (rather than single pages), and it only takes one person to publicly share a controversial paste including decryption key in the URL to get an entire pastebin blocked.

MitchellRobert said: Uh... What textual content could possibly cause a takedown notice? Legitimate ones, that is...

Credit card numbers, for example.