Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My mind has been blown
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My mind has been blown

CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Again, lets stay on topic here....

I can honestly say I am impressed with such an idea that I had to share it. I want to meet the guy that invented it and give him one big high five. Tell me what you think! Its only a 2 minute video

https://onlycoin.com/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=CPC

Thanked by 2Evo inthecloudblog

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Not gonna lie I've been eyeing that thing for a while. It's pretty darn sexy.

• While it does look nice i still don't trust and don't like to use cards. Cash is the king.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I pre-ordered mine a while ago... I think it's going to be great!

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Odds that they will deliver it on time?

• So it basically allows one to "duplicate" a credit card? Imagine all the possible fraud it is capable of.

• MunMun Member

@DalComp said:
    So it basically allows one to "duplicate" a credit card? Imagine all the possible fraud it is capable of.

I don't think you understand our current setup of cards. It is really really really bad.

Mun

• Awesome! Shame I can't use it here, as we've started to use the more secure chip rather than the magnetic strip...

@DalComp said:
    So it basically allows one to "duplicate" a credit card? Imagine all the possible fraud it is capable of.

Actually it has some decent security features. You have to provide significant additional information to verify your identity to activate the first card, and then you can only add cards that link to your identity. You can't really just go swiping cards and adding them to it at will. It also deactivates itself if there is no signal from your phone for a set amount of time. They really thought it through pretty well.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @Mun said:
    Mun

No, I don't. I don't really trust credit cards, and I make sure all my debit/prepaid cards need a PIN to use.

@jarland said:
    Actually it has some decent security features. You have to provide significant additional information to verify your identity to activate the first card, and then you can only add cards that link to your identity. You can't really just go swiping cards and adding them to it at will. It also deactivates itself if there is no signal from your phone for a set amount of time. They really thought it through pretty well.

In that case then it seems nice. Not clearly explained in the video.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited January 2014

The only thing that is weird that it doesn't ask for your name or address when ordering just your credit card # the CVV on the back and your zip & email.

But all I got to say is the concept is awesome.

Cough https://onlycoin.com/?referral=VVclsenU Cough

Did they charge your card?

• BK_BK_ Member

@mpkossen I was thinking the exact same thing. Every debit/credit card I've got is chip.

• MunMun Member

@jbiloh said:
    Odds that they will deliver it on time?

ironic......

@Mun said:
    ironic......

Won't let me hit thanks twice...

• @jbiloh said:
    Did they charge your card?

They did.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

I ordered this, then realized I really didn't need it and they were super nice and they gave me a refund no questions asked.

Be curious to see if they price the product higher once it's actually available. Thus giving an incentive to the folks who have prepaid.

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited January 2014

jbiloh said: Be curious to see if they price the product higher once it's actually available. Thus giving an incentive to the folks who have prepaid.

https://onlycoin.com/support/faq/

Q. How much does a Coin cost?

A. Each Coin costs $100. For you early adopters there is a very limited quantity that can be purchased for $50.

Ah, very good, just the way it should be. I think the whole concept is great.

• I'm so tempted to buy one..

• "The chip card is the standard in almost every developed country in the world except
    the United States, according to JPMorgan Chase, the nation's largest bank."

My mind has been blown too. I had no idea you guys still swiped your cards.

• Oh I really should get it. I've lost my Paypal card at least twice last year... I'm bad with remembering where I put things :(

• Unfortunately this will soon be obsolete by the likes of Square et al. Super niche product (I'll definitely grab one) and great for those of us that arb the hell out of every rewards program.

• @iwaswrongonce said:
    Unfortunately this will soon be obsolete by the likes of Square et al. Super niche product (I'll definitely grab one) and great for those of us that arb the hell out of every rewards program.

Hey thanks for mentioning Square. Now that looks cool.

• @skybucks100 said:
    Oh I really should get it. I've lost my Paypal card at least twice last year... I'm bad with remembering where I put things :(

.... PayPal has a card!
    Not in australia, can't get a skrill one here either

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@iwaswrongonce said:
    Unfortunately this will soon be obsolete by the likes of Square et al. Super niche product (I'll definitely grab one) and great for those of us that arb the hell out of every rewards program.

Square is great (I use it for local clients) but it still requires the card to be swiped (well, you can manually type it in, but the fees are higher and it's impractical)... so I fail to see how this is going to be obsolete?

• @shovenose said:
    Square is great (I use it for local clients) but it still requires the card to be swiped (well, you can manually type it in, but the fees are higher and it's impractical)... so I fail to see how this is going to be obsolete?

I was specifically referring to Square Cash, not the Square reader (that's old tech anyway).

• @AutoSnipe said:

Well considering I loose mine as soon as I get them, I don't have one either. I'm waiting for the day when I can just pay with my phone..

• Already can do that. My dad has his iphone 5s connected to his card somehow. (Pay by visa pay wave) bud with his phone instead of card.
    Problem been, $100 limit. No pin needed nothing..
    I would get one of these coin things but I only have two cards it's not really worth it.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

I'd love it. The only problem is, all our cards here are chip and pin ... So unless they deliver it with a chip, it is a no go for me.