Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Phone data plans & proxies?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Phone data plans & proxies?

FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
edited March 2012 in General

Got an interesting one for you chaps today and since we have so many international people around here, I'm hoping to find an ideal solution.

In Canada data plans are hellishly expensive with minimal data. There's been an interesting work around and that's to get a 'browsing only' data plan and using proxy applications to route other app data over the WAP proxy we're required to use.

This is fine.....kinda. While I get good speeds (HSPA, etc), push notifications don't work any all VOIP applications minus skype simply die when I drop to cell data.

My question is does anyone have any experience with such plans/ideas and trying to lay an additional layer of VPN over it? I've tried doing openvpn over port 80 but to no avail. I haven't tried PPTP since swapping the PPTP port is a pain in the butt as well. I'm able to access SSL'd pages so it isn't like they're only allowed protocols they can DPI.

Francisco

Comments

• You should try OpenVPN with tcp on port 443. Or SSH on port 443

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@gsrdgrdghd said: You should try OpenVPN with tcp on port 443. Or SSH on port 443

I tried OPVN on port 80 so it's quite possible they're DPI-ing for that. I'll try port 443 and hope it'll work OK. I tried an SSH on port 80 as well and it simply failed.

Francisco

• You could of course just use a DNS Tunnel :)

• Use port 80 AND configure openvpn to use their wap proxy?

I once tried that in Indonesia, using port 443 and configure openvpn to use the ISP's MMS (multimedia mesg service) proxy, I can even use the net for free! Absolutely zero credit on prepaid card.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@NanoG6 said: I once tried that in Indonesia, using port 443 and configure openvpn to use the ISP's MMS (multimedia mesg service) proxy, I can even use the net for free! Absolutely zero credit on prepaid card.

I'll need to see how to configure that on openvpn android :)

Francisco

• Oh you are using smartphone, didn't know that :)

• PPTP users GRE for the data connections so that's a no go. OpenVPN uses UDP for the data connection so that's probably a non starter as well unless you use the DNS port 53. How about something like stunnel/pppd or perhaps ssh/pppd running over port 80/443? Come to think about it, if your phone clients can do SOCKS just do the dynamic forwarding with SSH.

• @Francisco said: I'll need to see how to configure that on openvpn android :)

Just download OpenVPN settings and just use a ovpn. Simple as :) You can input proxies etc too.

• @cleonard said: OpenVPN uses UDP for the data connection so that's probably a non starter

Not true, It can use either TCP or UDP. All my VPN servers use TCP 443

• OpenVPN can indeed use both TCP and UDP if needed. All my vpn boxes too, listen on port 443 with TCP to circumvent shitty ISP caps.

• NickWNickW Member

I have connected to my university's VPN while on a tethered connection to my phone.

While I had a great connection without the VPN and could get 7.2Mbps HSPA speeds on speedtests and the internet browsing was perfectly stable and suprisingly fast, the VPN connection was unstable and kept dropping out.

I don't know whether it was due to the specific protocols my university uses (we connect via Cisco VPN client), my experience was that the mobile connection was unsuitable for VPN.