Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mirroring files with Raspberry Pi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mirroring files with Raspberry Pi

I have a RPi at home that is attached originally just to an old Drobo, however because a crash on the BeyondRAID that I had suffered earlier last year I decided to get another external hard drive to attach to my RPi as a secondary backup to the Drobo.

At the moment I am using a cron to call RSync with ionice every 15 minutes to make sure the files stay in sync between Drobo and the external HDD but sometimes the entire RPi would hang presumably due to high CPU usage (I know RSync is very CPU intensive) and the only way to get around it is to cold reboot the RPi since it won't even respond to SSH.

Therefore I am just wondering if there a better way to sync these files. I don't mind the initial sync to take weeks even months to complete as long as eventually the files would stay up to date. One way that was suggested was to just run a copy file command and just have rsync takes care of the incremental changes but with a few hundred GB already rsynced it is difficult for me to know which one is already copied and which ones are not.

Comments