Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long will it take to see RHEL 7 based OVZ offers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How long will it take to see RHEL 7 based OVZ offers

I just recently noticed that RHEL 7 is in beta, and soon afterwards OpenVZ will use this for their next releases. Will it be possible to see 3.10 kernels on OVZ this year?

Thanked by 1Mark_R

Comments

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited January 2014

I wouldn't even start looking until it goes to production which is likely months away.

Less likely this year but hopeful.

• Just as an observer, it seems hosts would be loathe to so much as think about upgrading after the troubles that a lot of them had with 2.6.32.

• but 2.6.32 isn't that much stable right? .18 seems more stable

• @jcaleb said:
    but 2.6.32 isn't that much stable right? .18 seems more stable

It's a lot better than now compared to when it started.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Pardon the simplistic question but what advancements does 7 carry over 6?

• jbiloh said: Pardon the simplistic question but what advancements does 7 carry over 6?

• It contains a modern kernel
    • It runs systemd
    • It reenables xen as a hypervisor
  • Sounds like more bloat to me.
    RHEL's kernel might seem ancient, however it's not so much. They backport a lot of things in their kernels, so their 2.6.32 based kernel is nothing like the stock 2.6.32. And the same is valid for the 2.6.18 series.

• @rds100 said:
    Sounds like more bloat to me.
    RHEL's kernel might seem ancient, however it's not so much. They backport a lot of things in their kernels, so their 2.6.32 based kernel is nothing like the stock 2.6.32. And the same is valid for the 2.6.18 series.

The problem, however, is that much of the cool stuff isn't backported. Stuff like dm-cache, cgroups, nftables, and various other enhancements to network, io, and process handling. 3.10 allows for a valuable mark of pushing modern kernel enhancements into the RHEL build.

• True, but you have to convince the OVZ guys to start porting to 3.10. Last time they made an announcement about this seemed that they are sticking with 2.6.32.

The good thing is that more and more of the functionality that OpenVZ needs is already in the newest kernels. So one day maybe it will just work, without the need of special modified kernel. Or at least the diff between the stock and OVZ kernel will be much smaller and easier to maintain.

• I am looking forward to RHEL 7 for openVZ There will be bugs yes but a opportunity to advance things is always good.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited January 2014

rds100 said: True, but you have to convince the OVZ guys to start porting to 3.10.

Honestly, once you add grsec to the mix, you really don't need OpenVZ. Well, besides the one minor fact that LXC doesn't properly expose memory utilization to the containers.