Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many times have you been scammed by a host?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many times have you been scammed by a host?

myhkenmyhken Member
edited January 2014 in General

Before the word SCAM was used on hosts that really scammed you, took your money and left, never to be heard of again.
Today forums fills up with scam threads, there people call a host a SCAM because they have not replied on a sales ticket on the weekend, when the opening time clearly is stated on their homepage.

My worst (and only one) scam was by a host called XenSpeed.net, back in 2012. They runned away with around $70 of mine. Paid for 6 months service for one server, and 12 months for the other, got one month service, then the servers went offline, and the people/person behind XenSpeed was gone for good.

I wonder how many times you have been really scammed by a host. Lost lots of money, time, maybe important data (of course, you are keeping your own backups ;)) etc.

If you want, can you tell how much money you lost?

Comments

• I would say shardhost in recent times

• 24khost - signed up for a reseller acct, then upgraded it - paid for a year - disappeared 5 months later. New host refused to take over reseller accts :(

• 2 or 3 times I think. Atleast once solely by my own fault.

I do not equate every failed business with scam.
    Last big organized scam at LET happened in 2011 when scam artist Darren Slade under fake identity Ken Nash started new company UptimeVPS scammed hundreds of people and 2 - 3 months later disappeared with all the money. In 2012 he came back with another fake identity, started company XmXen but this time people found out who's behind before he's done any serious damage.

A bit of refreshment:

LXServerDirect (2007) was company name some individual has used to offer VPS services at very competitive prices. After ordering, the VPSs would work for a while, until disappearing from the map a few days later, leaving their customers without access to their machines, support, or any form of notice. LXServerDirect service most of the clients prepaid yearly losing a lot of money after company runaway.

ServerWOW (2009) was company name some individual has used to offer VPS services at very competitive prices. After ordering, the VPSs would work for a while, until disappearing from the map a few days later, leaving their customers without access to their machines, support, or any form of notice. ServerWOW service most of the clients prepaid yearly losing a lot of money after company runaway.

UptimeVPS (2011) was company name some individual known as Ken Nash has used to offer VPS services at very competitive prices. After ordering, the VPSs would work for a while, until disappearing from the map a few days later, leaving their customers without access to their machines, support, or any form of notice. UptimeVPS service most of the clients prepaid yearly losing a lot of money after company runaway.

XmXen (2012)....

I am wondering under what name he operates now :)

• vpscorner cunts come to mind

• One thing I learned was to not prepay if your not very sure of a company. Or, I just got a $19/year deal from weloveservers.net. But $19 is not very much money.
    The only company that I prepay for 6 months is with Prometeus. An luckily for me, Mr Salvatore did transfer all my payments (around €120, for 4 servers) to my iwStack account. But I never pay lots of money when I first sign up for a new company, that was my lesson from XenSpeed.

• Yes by 123com. I got the deal from WHT but they just stopped working one day.

• rackvm & server4you

• How much did you loose? If you want to tell.

• Twice. Rus Foster

• @blergh_ said:
    Twice. Rus Foster

Had good luck with a2b2 and cheapvps.co.uk, naturally changed providers before anything bad happened. Was actually pretty happy with their service. Canceled my server back in Marc 2009. (Thank you Gmail)

• I bought the yearly offer at the bottom of this: http://lowendbox.com/blog/whitelabelhosting-20year-256mb-xen-vps-in-seattle/

$150/year, it was gone in ~4 months with all of my data. I learned my lesson!

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Never. One provider has closed shop while I was a customer, got my money back so can't say that I've been scammed.

• i was scammed by ChicagoVPS about a year back

• @darkshire said:
    i was scammed by ChicagoVPS about a year back

How?, they are around, and get pretty good reviews from time to time.

• user123user123 Member
    edited January 2014

I made the mistake of buying a VPS from a company that posted an ad on WHT. Their service worked great for a while, so I purchased a second one. A few weeks later, everything went down and all traces of their website disappeared. I tried filing a dispute through PayPal, but was told that it wouldn't be a problem, but that I would have to file a chargeback through my CC issuer. I did that and shortly thereafter, I received notices from PayPal stating that I was permanently banned from using their services.

The funny thing is, I can still make payments over PayPal (i.e. eBay) without any issue (as long as I use one of my credit cards that was not attached to the account). Though, it's annoying. I think that was the second (and last time) I went for a WHT offer.

The first time I puller the trigger on a WHT offer was a great experience. I got a great deal on reseller hosting (I paid an annual fee that was less than many shared hosting companies charge per month) that I still use to this day, several years after I initially became a customer. Though, I only host my own personal stuff on it. Sure, there was some brief occasional downtime that was particularly annoying one time, but that's about it.

I don't think it counts as a scam, but I've been having issues with one of my many (annual prepaid) URPad VPSs for the past couple months. After trying to get them to rebuild it (it only became an issue some time after they moved it to a new node), I gave up on it. I will probably just write off the $$ and not renew that server.

ETA: I just now searched for that company that actually scammed me and see that they have created a new account on WHT (Join Date: Aug 2013) under a slightly different username., but that they are still advertising using their original/previous name and domain! Even funnier is that the domain doesn't even load. rofl how lazy can they get? I also see that they are now offering annual VPS subscriptions only.

ETA2: Ah, I also forgot about ShardHost disappearing with my annual prepaid service

• joshinjoshin Member
    edited January 2014

Shardhost for $15 (died) & Up2VPS for $25 (horrid reliability & support & bad attitude)

I think of most cheap VPS hosts as I do a refurbished DeathStar harddrive and have many accounts each with redundant data so if one dies, I don't care much.

• shardhost but i got some money back from paypal

• its a lesson not to get any too good to be real deal

Thanked by 1myhken
  • sharedhost - big lession to me

• Hmm... wondering if anyone remember ClubUptime.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Cripperz and Shardhost

• shardhost and buymyvm

• i am always encourage my client to pay monthly. It is protect client and our own cash flow.

Thanked by 1daxterfellowes
  • Servercrate.
    Ask me to paid invoice that not have been issued

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited January 2014

I have use very few number of vps host, and thankfully was never scams since most of them were reputed once....

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited January 2014

Hostrail, Cripperz, rackvm

@myhken

Case 1:
    I bought a high memory VPS and I optimized MySQL by making a good use of the RAM leaving 16MB-128MB free.

After running my VPS for 4 days, I got an abused notification and the provider terminated my service without refund.

Case 2:
    I bought an unbelievably cheap annual based payment VPS in a promo. A week before the next payment due, I received an e-mail stating that I have violated their TOS for sending unsolicited e-mail (spamming), and they will terminate my service within 24 hours.

I tried to explain that after my VPS got provisioned a year earlier, I removed sendmail and any unused packages, and I use the VPS only for Web server and MySQL, but they just terminated my VPS.

If those 2 cases above are considered scams, then there are 4 more providers that have scammed me.

I won't tell who they are, because I don't want any "defamation" aftermath.

• My worst experience with hosting companies was with the "new owner and support team" or URPAD (K-DISK, FTN hosting, Root Level, etc.)

I had to pay 2x for the same month and got a first suspension with a PAID service.
    In the next month, as they could not solve the problems with their servers, I got a notification in the Sunday to GET OUT in 24h.
    2 months lost + 4 months in the beginning where they could not move my server data to their (k-disk) server.

The biggest problem was the backup data.

This kind of company does this kind of thing because they are NOT in the same country of the clients. If they were in my country, it could give a good amount of money to terminate a service for a RIDICULOUS reason (30 tickets when the correct was 10 or 12 in 40 days).

And... I continue RECEIVING SPAM messages from URPAD. Ridiculous!

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @DragonDF said:
    My worst experience with hosting companies was with the "new owner and support team" or URPAD (K-DISK, FTN hosting, Root Level, etc.)

I was a very happy Urpad customer for around a year. One of my favorite hosts. Servers lots of places here in Europe, good servers, and great uptime.
    So after the Root Level change it went downhill. Lots of downtime, in UK, in Luxemburg, on Iceland.
    Did see how it would go, so I stopped payments and used up my credit, before I canceled every remaining server when they forced everybody over to the US.
    Still have a one year prepaid server in the US, but I have no need of it, so I have deleted all bookmarks to SolusVM, the IP to the server etc etc.

• @manacit said:
    I bought the yearly offer at the bottom of this: http://lowendbox.com/blog/whitelabelhosting-20year-256mb-xen-vps-in-seattle/

$150/year, it was gone in ~4 months with all of my data. I learned my lesson!

I bought the exact same deal. I'm "Conor" in that thread. They responded to tickets within the hour until one day they dropped off the face of the internet.

Paid for 12 months, got 5. Lost all my data. =(

• Not very fun.