Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best dedi provider for game server hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best dedi provider for game server hosting?

I host hobby game servers (Currently 5 tf2, 1 starbound, and 3 minecraft, probably going to increase over time), and I was wondering what the best host, in your guy's opinion for this sort of thing is? I have a budget of ~$80/month.

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

I'm using a Dual L5520 from @qps, works perfectly for me. (Hosting 3 Minecraft servers on it plus some more very soon)

Thanked by 1qps
  • What location?

• edited January 2014

@Microlinux said:
    What location?

Preferably East Coast

• edited January 2014

@matthewvz said:
    I'm using a Dual L5520 from qps, works perfectly for me. (Hosting 3 Minecraft servers on it plus some more very soon)

L5520's are dated... not sure how well they would fair with multiple heavy modern game servers EG Source games

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited January 2014

@Void_Whisperer said:
    L5520's are dated... not sure how well they would fair with multiple heavy modern game servers EG Source games

L5520s are work horses. Many providers use these for VPS nodes still. Might want to check out getdedi. @serverian might be able to offer you something (Xeon E3 based) in your budget in Buffalo.

Can also pick up one from RS: http://www.reliablesite.net/dedicated-servers/detail.aspx?server=intel-xeon-e3-1230v3&promo=SE3V3&amount=90

That's less than $80/mo and is a good network. New Jersey

• @Virtovo said:

I currently host with RSNet, my only issue with that deal is that I need a minimum of 16GB of RAM, which would bring the total up to $90, a bit over my budget. (My other issue is that my server has been knocked offline a few times for a few minutes because people on the same switch have been DDoSed.)

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited January 2014

@Void_Whisperer said:
    I currently host with RSNet, my only issue with that deal is that I need a minimum of 16GB of RAM, which would bring the total up to $90, a bit over my budget. (My other issue is that my server has been knocked offline a few times for a few minutes because people on the same switch have been DDoSed.)

Contact secured servers ([email protected]). See what they can do for you in Ashburn. They might be able to come in under their advertised prices on an E3 with 16GB (I've recently had a quote that does). You'll also benefit from free DDOS protection.

• edited January 2014

@Virtovo said:
    Contact secured servers ([email protected]). See what they can do for you in Ashburn. They might be able to come in under their advertised prices on an E3 with 16GB (I've recently had a quote that does). You'll also benefit from free DDOS protection.

Interesting suggestions. However, I have to wonder what E3 version it is. given that there's 3 atm

Edit: Also how far 'under'?

• @Void_Whisperer said:

I would think 5520s should easily handle SRCDS servers, those are not really "heavy" or "modern". Minecraft servers I'm not so sure, I think they like high clocks.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited January 2014

@Void_Whisperer said:
    Edit: Also how far 'under'?

I think you'd be looking at an E3-1230 for anywhere close to your budget. You'd be best to fire an email to sales. It won't cost you anything and you may be surprised. I'd let them know your budget and what you are looking for.

Also noticed that if you wanted to stay with RS you could maybe go with this?

http://www.reliablesite.net/dedicated-servers/detail.aspx?server=intel-xeon-e3-1245v2&promo=S1245&amount=90

• edited January 2014

@Virtovo said:
    I think you'd be looking at an E3-1230 for anywhere close to your budget. You'd be best to fire an email to sales. It won't cost you anything and you may be surprised. I'd let them know your budget and what you are looking for.

You yourself pointed out the v3 from RSNet. :L My only grudge with RSNet is the being knocked offline twice... I was looking into OVH but they are sold out near-constantly.

Edit: That offer from RS is basically what ovh offers for that price minus the DDoS protection

• @Void_Whisperer said:
    You yourself pointed out the v3 from RSNet. :L My only grudge with RSNet is the being knocked offline twice... I was looking into OVH but they are sold out near-constantly.

I should have been clear, I mean't from Secured Servers within your budget.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@Void_Whisperer check out @fragready or @qps they both have awesome deals and support. Maybe even @massnode :)

Thanked by 1qps