Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Market Research - Offshore, secured webmail
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Market Research - Offshore, secured webmail

Hello,
I'm iSidle I've been around here for a little while now and I'm hearing more and more about how our privacy is violated, this morning a group claiming to be the "Syrian Electronic Army" tweeted on skype's twitter account:

So now, I wanted to start a secured offshore (Czech) webhosting, but as you guys meight know there will be costs with it, so how much would you guys be willing to pay for this?

How much would you be willing to pay?
  1. $5 a month5 votes
    1. $10 a month
      80.00%
    2. $15 a month
      20.00%

Comments

• How about none of the above?

That sort of money allows you to buy your own server in that location.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2014

For E-Mail... 5$ or maybe 10$ per Year but not 10$ per Month. 2-3$ per Month is more
    plausible as 5$ or more. Just my own opinion.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited January 2014

@iSidle said:
    So now, I wanted to start a secured offshore (Czech) webhosting

So you mean "offshore" for people outside of the EU.

edited January 2014

Switzerland, 50$... i get a KVM VPS for 24Euros per Year.

• @Infinity580 said:
    Switzerland, 50$... i get a KVM VPS for 24Euros per Year.

its just what is it worth to you, neomailbox.com is really secure but you pay for that

it even erases your IP from the mail header when you send something out, i needed this feature back in the days for a business.

• I currently pay 5 CHF/mo for a Swiss e-mail address with MyKolab.com -- excellent service and well worth the money. Not willing to host it myself because I don't consider myself proficient enough to manage and secure a mail server I use for important things (WHMCS, PayPal, etc.).

• You can get a cheap VPS, $15-20/yr and setup your own email server.

edited January 2014

Yeah, setup a email server by yourself. For example postfix/dovecot, it exist good tutorials how to do it, you can secure that mailserver with fail2ban for wrong logins, entcrypt every email from you with your password. So if you VPS would get hacked the hacker would not able to access your emails. Did i vergot something?

• c0yc0y Member

@Mark_R said:
    it even erases your IP from the mail header when you send something out, i needed this feature back in the days for a business.

That's simply in your SMTP settings

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited January 2014

@Infinity580 said:
    Yeah, setup a email server by yourself. For example postfix/dovecot, it exist good tutorials how to do it, you can secure that mailserver with fail2ban for wrong logins, entcrypt every email from you with your password. So if you VPS would get hacked the hacker would not able to access your emails. Did i vergot something?

hosting your own email server on a random vps provider isnt that reliable..

if you wanna do this then you have to create a failover network that makes sure that all incoming emails still get catched even if the email vps host is down.

Thanked by 1kerouac
    edited January 2014

Ah, I know the Provider he is my frend so it is realiable.

But to trust a mailservice like this with your private mails i would say no.

• iSidleiSidle Member
    edited January 2014

I choose Czech because they are not willing to cooperate with the U.S.A While providers that provide services in the rest of Europe are more likely (in my opinion) to cooperate with the U.S.A Government. So that's why I choose this location and since a friend of me is a lot in czech he will install the server himself, and is willing to check up on it.

(They refused to support ACTA: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2144477/czech-republic-drops-support-acta).
    And russia isn't safe since their governments are CLEARLY willing to cooperate with the USA.

We'd NOT use BIOS on our systems but a more secured one like:
    http://www.coreboot.org/Welcome_to_coreboot
    and an operating system like Tails, this is a good security measurement to ensure that the NSA has a much lesser chance to hijack YOUR emails

Also, we will not store data like names and IP adress , so if we´d get any kind of warrant to give up our data, there will be (almost) nothing to give them, we are not voluntarily giving up data to ANYONE.

• typh0ntyph0n Member
    edited January 2014

If enough "strange" things happen, everyone will cooperate with the USA. Don't underestimate their influence.
    If you want a government/country which is not willing to cooperate so easily, you should have a look at Belarus or Moldawia.

• @typh0n said:
    If enough "strange" things happen, everyone will cooperate with the USA. Don't underestimate their influence.
    If you want a government/country which is not willing to cooperate so easily, you should have a look at Belarus or Moldawia.

maybe somewhere in Asia?

• @typh0n said:

Will do,
    What also meight be nice to know, the Co-Owner is a law student, so he will help me with the legal stuff.

• iSidleiSidle Member
    edited January 2014

@Mark_R said:

Asia could get me trouble, since it's VERY expensive to get your own dedicated there and especially if we have to install it on our own and the Censorship that is going around there.

I'm also going to use HW Encryption on the disks
    (Crypto SSD's)

So even IF they try to steal our server or whatever, they cant do anything with it.

• @iSidle said:
    So now, I wanted to start a secured offshore (Czech) webhosting, but as you guys meight know there will be costs with it, so how much would you guys be willing to pay for this?

Hi, I've been looking for such services for a long time, and nearly no cheap options are available for multiple email addresses. If you need like 10-15 accounts on your domains, services like mykolab are very expensive. I'm about to seal the deal with Runbox. But, they answer to security questions vaguely: We are in Norway and only comply with Norwegian law. I'm not sure if that's a good enough answer, but because of lack of competition I might just have to go with them. It's cheapest for multiple accounts.

If you look at Runbox's deals, and provide similar ones, I'd like to see that kind of service out there.

I don't know if you're in Czechia yourself, but if there was something important enough for law enforcement, that would be penetratble as well, and you wouldn't know at all, if you don't live there. If you live there yourself and DC is close to you it's OK. If not, go with completely insane hosts, like spammy ones in Russia, Ukraine. Pionen, Portlane AB, Ecatel or similar might work as well.

• @iSidle said:
    And russia isn't safe since their governments are CLEARLY willing to cooperate with the USA.

Are you drunk?

Were is Sworden? Right Russia, so Russia dose cooperate with USA? your drunk.

• @alexvolk said:
    Are you drunk?

There's truth in there. For example VKontakte is an epic source for hosting American TV shows as personal videos and it also has a music part that probably doesn't pay royalties. There was something about stopping that. For some reason, Russia has started to mildly cooporate in cases of copyright. I don't know if that's just for show, or will actually go through. In any case, that does not necessarily imply that data protection is unsecure as well. Russia is a very large country with a set of barren wastelands. Most spammy host companies don't even have proper websites or addresses. Unless the Russians are not exclusively looking to @!#? you for their own sake, I don't think your data would be under physical threat there.

For the case of copyright infringements and Russia, I'm not sure how far that's gonna go. I can't see many changes in VKontakte, many websites (in my country) that serve US TV series without paying royalties host their videos on VK. Yet another example, textbooks are particularly a topic copyright is tough on (at least I think/assume so), and biggest/only sites that serve these (as direct links) are based in Russia.

The ideal options are unavailable though. If I head unlimited funds, I'd relocate to Ecuador and start a DC there. :P

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2014

Russia isn't the wild west, guys.

CZ is a decent place to host private email, but OP's promises about what kind of adversaries he wants to fight are simply unrealistic and doesn't look like he has the capability to do so.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2014

@Nyr said:

More true words could not be spoken. I'm pretty sure the NSA of today is KGB of yesterday, with fancier toys. Anyone expecting their privacy to be respected in Russia would be the most hilarious thing ever. You'd have to forget all about the not too distant history of the nation and the reality that said history isn't as buried as they like to pretend. Just ask a journalist in Russia...if you can find one. Now, would they align with you in speaking against the US? Absolutely. Would they respect your privacy? Ha.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • c0yc0y Member

@Nyr said:

CZ is a decent place to host private email, but OP's promises about what kind of adversaries he wants to fight are simply unrealistic and doesn't look like he has the capability to do so,

This, it's also not about the damn gov but about the damn provider. You'll generaly be safe with Russian, Estonian and Ukraine providers.

• is this for real? it looks like seriouslywearenotthensamail.govt

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

So, the critical question: how are you protecting your (hypothetical) users against yourself?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • I honestly don't care if Microsoft sells information about my Email account, it's not like i'm hiding anything.

• Heh, that's an awfully naive way to ‘reason’. I've actually seen a lot of people parrot the same line of thought even with regard to NSA spying: a Twitter account was created, forgot what it was called, where people Tweeted ignorance, like “oh, uh, I don't mind if my government reads, listens or watch me, because Ah'm a good law abiding citizen, I've got nuthin' to hide”. Et cetera.
    Incredible.

@Jeffrey said:
    I honestly don't care if Microsoft sells information about my Email account, it's not like i'm hiding anything.

• The most important point is that you can imagine to do everything to save the data of your customers. Think about the possible consequences that can or will happen (to you)!
    Take this service seriously!
    Other interesting (and not so expensive?) countries could be Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.