Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minimum Specs Linux VPS For Browsing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Minimum Specs Linux VPS For Browsing

Hello friends, I'm planning to get a minimum specs Linux just for browsing. What should be the minimum specs for the VPS ?

Also what's the most suitable Linux distribution for this purpose ? I found 2 new for browsing purposes only -

www.browserlinux.com
getchrome.eu

& Of course there is Ubuntu & Mint.

I've never used Linux before & really looking forward to your advices.
Thanks a lot.

Comments

• 512MB should be enough, but i would go with 1GB just to be sure though

• Thank you. What's the best distribution ?

• @huggy said:
    Thank you. What's the best distribution ?

There is no best distro, it's whatever you can work good with and feel good with. I prefer Debian over anything

• my vnc is 512MB RAM, and it's running debian and firefox smoothly

i don't know, i can't run chromium browser or google chrome on openvz vps

• You can run text based browser with very low amount RAM.

• If you plan on running Chrome, minimum 1GB RAM and a KVM VPSes. Last time I checked, Chromium didn't like Xen. Or OpenVZ. Firefox works well on 512MB OpenVZ as well, I prefer Ubuntu for browsing using VNC. Also, you should use x2go rather than VNC, you'll see the difference.

• Thanks for all replies friends, actually I've never used Linux before & I'll just start with this server. This is basically for my learning how to even use Linux.

said: www.browserlinux.com & getchrome.eu

What are your thoughts about these ? These are small Linux platforms just for browsing & Chrome Firefox etc runs in these.

• BrowserLinux...is that one even maintained today?

• @huggy said:
    Thanks for all replies friends, actually I've never used Linux before & I'll just start with this server. This is basically for my learning how to even use Linux.

Download vmware or virtualbox and play with different distros, then get a VPS.

• Grab a cheap 512 VPS, install Debian, setup NoMachine and Chromium or IceWeasel.

• huggyhuggy Member
    edited December 2013

Thanks. Will try Debian soon. NoMachine looks good too.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited December 2013

@huggy said:
    Thanks. Will try Debian soon. NoMachine looks good too.

Check out this script for Debian+NoMachine: https://www.sonicboxes.com/lowmem-debian-lxde-nomachine-script/

All you have to do after that is configure the client, instructions on that page if you need them, and apt-get install iceweasel for your browser.

• install debian with tightvncserver, fluxbox and midori. This setup works on my 256 mb vps very well.

• Thanks guys. I've never used Linux before, had always been a Windows user. So which OS has the easiest GUI ?

• @huggy said:
    Thanks guys. I've never used Linux before, had always been a Windows user. So which OS has the easiest GUI ?

definitly ubuntu.

• Yes tested the Ubuntu demo felt quite good actually.

• Unity UI is not easist GUI.

• tux said: Unity UI is not easist GUI.

Please suggest some then.

• @huggy said:

Gnome