Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6

Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
edited December 2013 in General

Sorry but I am asking this because I fail to realise why every vps provider is offering thousands of IPv6s with each VPS some even whole /64?

Is one IPv6 not enough to do the job?
Who needs so many IP addresses on VPS except to use them for spam?

Comments

• @Sledger said:
    Sorry but I am asking this because I fail to realise why every vps provider is offering thousands of IPv6*s with each VPS some even whole /64?

I wonder if ipv4 got wasted like this aswel in the beginning.

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited December 2013

@Sledger said:
    Sorry but I am asking this because I fail to realise why every vps provider is offering thousands of IPv4s with each VPS some even whole /64?

@Sledger Short answer. Long term investment.

Large providers can get more IPv4 from ARIN whenever they have used 70%-80% or their IPs. So they are eagerly sell the IPv4 and get more IPv4 before ARIN release the last available IPv4.

Don't expect that IPv6 will be implemented globally before the IPv4 is depleted, as implementing IPv6 means every data centers, switching companies, banking industries, and whoever needs the Internet will have to upgrade their hardware and infrastructure that support IPv6, which will cost billions of dollars, not to mention software patching.

When ARIN has no more IPv4, then IPv4 will become a very important commodity and whoever owns the most IPv4 stock, might control the IPv4 price and rule the net. :)

• @Sledger said:
    Sorry but I am asking this because I fail to realise why every vps provider is offering thousands of IPv4s with each VPS some even whole /64?

I'm assuming you mean a /64 of v6

RFC states that a /64 is the smallest that should be assigned to an end user. I guess it helps routing and also blacklisting is likely applied at the /64 level.

• Virtovo said: I'm assuming you mean a /64 of v6

Stupid me. I missed that one. :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2013

This has nothing to do with IPs wasting. People should get rid of looking at IPv6 from old IPv4 perspective.

/64 is the minimum for auto assignment/SLAAC autoconfigured VPN on IPv6. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLAAC#Stateless_address_autoconfiguration_.28SLAAC.29 the EUI-64 mechanism for stateless autoconfiguration of IPv6 addresses requires a subnet to have 64 bits. This means most, if not all subnets (except point-to-point links), will have a size of /64 in the future.

There could be also some other trivial but pretty realistic reasons like preventing k-lines at IRC networks because "too many connections globally" (all users from same /64 are usually considered as one user).
    In case of spam no one block individual /128s but whole /64 subnet because again - /64 is considered as one end user.

Thanked by 2Mark_R vRozenSch00n
  • In case of spam no one block individual /128s but whole /64 subnet because again - /64 is considered as one end user.

Here's an example of that:
    http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/query/SBL208608

Thanked by 1jmginer