Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS Review

I picked up a 2GB VPS from ChicagoVPS last week and currently using it for hosting a Minecraft server and as a VPN at work.

It's been working out perfectly. Contacted support about a few questions and received a reply almost instantly.

root@server:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz
Number of cores : 4
CPU frequency : 3400.000 MHz
Total amount of ram : 2048 MB
Total amount of swap : 0 MB
System uptime : 1 min,
Download speed from CacheFly: 108MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 61.5MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 105MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 9.25MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 9.31MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 9.95MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 2.65MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 24.2MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 28.7MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 35.8MB/s
I/O speed : 421 MB/s

Comments

• Nice, is it Gambit as in comic character or is it Gambit as a pawn? :P

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • I've mostly been happy with cvps, I would suggest you keep backups just incase due to the rocky past. I have their database dump from last time somewhere around here.

• I have 2 boxes with cvps and really satisfied with uptime/performance.

but ops instant support claim seems to be accidental. usually support replies are within 12 hours in my experience.

• You sure this wasn't ran on a Non-ChicagoVPS VPS server? haha

• Gambit said: System uptime : 1 min

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Lol. I am happy with their VPS, too. I have just cancelled one of the longest uptime I ever had (with them), like 200 days of uptime. I cancelled it because I was paying monthly; I escalated to annual payments.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@netomx we could have let you keep that VPS and changed the pricing

• @Jack said:
    mpkossen check for shill

Ey, just because they aren't part of the vocal minority doesn't mean it's wrong.

• This thread is wrong due to what Ive been reading the last few days.

• @Gambit, You have made 2 visits on LET uptill now, 1 would be making this account and logging in for the first time since you created it on 20th December and 2nd is today, Thanks for review, did u join in to post the review specifically or you wish to have more participation in LET.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • I guess it was 1min review and 1min uptime for Minecraft server, nice play

• Actually, I rebooted the server after running apt-get update the other night, hence the uptime. Not sure if you are aware but the uptime resets once you reboot your server.

If mods would like to verify any information with me I am happy to comply.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@CVPS_Chris check your email, I sent it months ago requesting that, and also AFAIR, a PM too :(

Thanked by 1nocom
  • @Gambit Not sure if you are aware but review with 1min uptime is not review for ,,working out perfectly,,

if you want post result from

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

and

free

• ballard26ballard26 Member
    edited December 2013

Not sure why everyone is hating on ChicagoVPS, bought their 128mb VPS for a DNS node 6months ago and haven't had too many problems beyond the SolusVM issues they had.

Here is the ServerBear: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/05/27/dLWlBCheqHJ0vdcV

Here are some stats as of now:

ballard26@elara:~$ uptime 19:53:17 up 2 days, 15:10, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

ballard26@elara:~$ free -m total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 128 53 74 0 0 9 -/+ buffers/cache: 43 84 Swap: 0 0 0

ballard26@elara:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 7.40159 s, 145 MB/s

I guess the only problem I am having with them as of now is that there is a couple minutes of downtime every few days.

--Edit--

Not really recommending them, there are much better hosts, however, from my experience they are not completely horrible if you need something cheap.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2013

I found this, if anyone wants it for the near future. I have a feeling a couple people might need it.

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/culture_test/kanyewest grammy told you so hamilton ap images 615.jpg

Thanked by 2Mark_R ryanarp
  • Username
    Gambit
    Visits

ballard26 said: load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

Joined November 26

First Comment by ballard26 December 20

• I guess the only problem I am having with them as of now is that there is a couple minutes of downtime every few days.

I'd call that a big problem if you're running a DNS server. There are low cost hosts on LEB/LET where you won't have to put up with frequent downtime and you can go many months without any downtime at all.

Thanked by 2DeletedUser wych
  • ballard26ballard26 Member
    edited December 2013

@DomainBop said:
    I'd call that a big problem if you're running a DNS server. There are low cost hosts on LEB/LET where you won't have to put up with frequent downtime and you can go many months without any downtime at all.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you. The reason why it really isn't a big deal is that it only acts as a nameserver for a few personal sites. And when compared to my webserver @fliphost and my other nameserver at RamNode the uptime is rather despicable. However, the uptime for ChicagoVPS was at 20 days as of 2 days ago.

Is all of this backlash coming from ChicagoVPS's link to UGVPS?

edited December 2013

@ballard26 said:
    Is all of this backlash coming from ChicagoVPS's link to UGVPS?

No, it's a feeling accumulated around here from years of combined experiences and shady dealings. Anyone relatively new won't fully understand it. Give it time. The owner's attitude has always played a large factor, which he has gotten better about, but people don't forget things.

@Jarland, you need to get the pole out of your ass and stop worrying so much about things that don’t involve you. We are working hard, every day, to provide a quality service and your constant (and often invalid) attacks are tiresome.

I feel sorry for you that you and your friends devote so much of your time to making slanderous accusations about me and other companies. It’s hard to ignore the sense of jealousy which is utterly obvious.

Everyone makes mistakes and I am 100% confident that if you spent even half the time you dedicate to thinking about me you would find much worse things at the GoDaddy’s of the world. As for UG and CVPS being one of the same...... wrong again. We’ve said for what feels like years that we are their provider, yes Tom has worked for me, and yes Tom has worked for ColoCrossing. Nothing more to see here, and if everyone would take the blinders off and analyze the drama that went down between Tom and his ex-wife without bias that would be fully obvious.

Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n Jeffrey
    edited December 2013

@CVPS_Chris said:
    Jarland, you need to get the pole out of your ass

Case in point. I can revoke the "he has gotten better about it" statement. Lies and insults, business as usual.

edited December 2013

@Jarland, case in point. You ignore the truths of the world to make your slanderous accusations sound/feel like it is ok.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited December 2013

Anybody need popcorn?

I can't help but wonder if that was a blown opportunity to change a LOT of perception.

Thanked by 2matthewvz jar

@CVPS_Chris said:
    Jarland, case in point. You ignore the truths of the world to make your slanderous accusations sound/feel like it is ok.

Wish you all the best, happy holidays brother. I gave my facts and you can feel free to drag up that thread to provide your counter evidence instead of taking a shit all over your clients review thread without even taking a second to thank him/her.

• Jarland vs Fabozzi. Taking bets.

@serverian said:
    Jarland vs Fabozzi. Taking bets.

Nope I'm done.

Wouldn't even be a contest, at least he knows when to quit when hes ahead.

• I'd like to take a moment to divert this thread into what it originally was, which was a positive review for ChicagoVPS, and away from the... bump in the road.

• CVPS_Chris said: We are working hard, every day, to provide a quality service and your constant (and often invalid) attacks are tiresome.

I am sure you are working hard, and before the breach, I can attest that you have a good I/O, good network, no significant downtime (mostly network related on my part), when I was still using your service.

To speak to you frankly based on what I see in LET, sometimes it is hard for me to differentiate whether you are joking or you are serious.

When I look at your picture (posted somewhere in the cestpit) I can tell that you have kind eyes and a little shy, and I don't believe that you are a bad man.

If I may suggest you have to hold on a bit and change the forum attitude from an aggressive warrior into a nice friend. :)