Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN Hosting - Would you buy it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN Hosting - Would you buy it?

Hi,

I have been using VPN's for the past 2 years for personal use, I have also shared them with friends and family.

I am thinking of starting a VPN service.

A few questions for you to answer mine.
  1. Is it something you'd buy?15 votes
    1. Yes
      40.00%
    2. No
      40.00%
    3. Depends (Please express this by commenting)
      20.00%
  2. Where would you want it?15 votes
    1. USA
      20.00%
    2. EU
      20.00%
    3. Both
      33.33%
    4. More (Please Express)
      26.67%
  3. How would you like to connect?15 votes
    1. PPP
      13.33%
    2. L2TP
      20.00%
    3. OpenVPN Client
      60.00%
    4. SoftEther Client
        6.67%

Comments

• In all honesty, no. There are plenty of existing providers with very good value plans, so I wouldn't start using another plan from a provider I don't know. Also, setting up your own is very cheap and easy on a LEB.

You may find better responses on forums where users are less technically astute, IMO.

• It depends on the pricing, if it would be significantly cheaper than buying a lowend VPS and setting it up myself then I'd probably go for it

• With my current VPN provider I looked for a couple of things.

Trust - Did I trust the provider with practically my Internet history? The provider I choose was very transparent. They were run by a few people who had the personal belief of privacy and in the past have fought for it.

Protection - The VPN's I use are for when I want to be anonymous. This was accomplished by the massive amount of people using the nodes at a given time. And of course, no logs.

Location - I wanted a provider to be in the USA due to the freedom of speech laws and the allowance of no logging.

Speed - Without speed, I would rather use TOR or I2P.

OpenVPN - The only client that is free of exploits and is created by a third party.