Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can VPS be a good target for CPU intensive applications (games)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can VPS be a good target for CPU intensive applications (games)?

Hello, we* have been so far a few times "kicked out" of a few super-cheap VPS providers for "CPU abuse" this year (will not name them). So the general idea, should we even stop considering VPS in general for something like this, or can someone recommend a VPS provider that has no problem with applications trying to 24/7 grab 100% cpu ? (Europe preferred)

PS: The point being that we can survive with weaker dedicated CPU or VPS quotas to have power equivalent to something like desktop core2duo E8400, but the application mostly just grabs cpu to 100% pushing for maximum FPS and this is something the providers didn't liked.

*me and some people that like playing a bit more CPU intensive dedicated gaming servers

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I would honestly recommend a dedicated server for something like this. Even if the provider doesn't mind right away there is a good chance they will change their mind in the future costing you downtime and time to move your stuff on short notice.

• It's very tough that any LET/LEB will provide you such an intensive CPU usage!

It's much better to go with Dedi. Since you can get one from $25 with no base resource use restriction.

• I doubt most providers would let you. I know of a few that do, I found one in the UK that let me use 50-60% of an e3 cpu thread pretty much all the time. But apart from that most will limit you if you use more than your fairshare.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Maybe vps with dedicated core.

• @Infinity580 Tough @ LEB?LET price possible if it more $$

• Yep, I can understand that going with dedicated would solve this problem, but what surprised me this year was that I always expected to simply hit some quotas and become trotted down to a CPU fair share, but we were simply suspended completely. It feels as if the whole VPS business scheme is atomically only selling CPUs that are not allowed to be even utilized. Ergo if 20VPS are sharing one hardware cpu core, I would expect to get throttled back to 1/20 of that CPU, but in my processes table I would see my process getting "as if" 100% cpu.

Are the VPS providers calculating prices only on energy usages of an idle CPUs or something?

• @ZerXen said:
    Hello, we* have been so far a few times "kicked out" of a few super-cheap VPS providers for "CPU abuse" this year (will not name them). So the general idea, should we even stop considering VPS in general for something like this, or can someone recommend a VPS provider that has no problem with applications trying to 24/7 grab 100% cpu ? (Europe preferred)

PS: The point being that we can survive with weaker dedicated CPU or VPS quotas to have power equivalent to something like desktop core2duo E8400, but the application mostly just grabs cpu to 100% pushing for maximum FPS and this is something the providers didn't liked.

*me and some people that like playing a bit more CPU intensive dedicated gaming servers

I'm certain Openvz has a cpu limiter built in, you could always ask your provider to limit your cpu usage using CPULIMIT so you are locked to using a certain percentage of a core(s).

• serverianserverian Member
    edited December 2013

@ZerXen said:
    Yep, I can understand that going with dedicated would solve this problem, but what surprised me this year was that I always expected to simply hit some quotas and become trotted down to a CPU fair share, but we were simply suspended completely. It feels as if the whole VPS business scheme is atomically only selling CPUs that are not allowed to be even utilized. Ergo if 20VPS are sharing one hardware cpu core, I would expect to get throttled back to 1/20 of that CPU, but in my processes table I would see my process getting "as if" 100% cpu.

Are the VPS providers calculating prices only on energy usages of an idle CPUs or something?

A dual E5 2620 has 12 cores. The provider should only sell 12 VPS on this $350-400/month server to allow full use of one CPU Core per VPS. 12*$7 < $350

That's why there are game hosting companies. If you want to run a resource intensive game, go with a game hosting company or buy a dedicated server or a 4 x L5639 dedicated threads from @drserver.

E8400 equals ~2 full threads = 1 full core of a E5 2620

Thanked by 1drserver
  • Just curious, should most games nowadays be GPU-intensive?

• Do what serverian said, you really can't expect a LEB provider to give you a huge amount of resources at the price you're paying.

Or check out Hetzner's auction, there are some really cheap servers on there.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

@ZerXen If you wish to test Dedicated core VPS fell free to contact me. Plan detalis are in my signature.

• E8400 is dual core @ 3.0Ghz... Using 100% of that on a budget VPS is being super greedy and inconsiderate...