Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Minimal Windows System .iso
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Minimal Windows System .iso

WorldWorld Veteran
edited December 2013 in General

I'm looking for Minimal Windows System .iso

Windows 2003/2008/XP are fine

I use in VBOX to test something.

Sorry for bad English.

EDIT:“VBOX”=virtualbox

Comments

• google for MINIMALXP_12.7.ISO
    win xp 200mb iso

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2013

best would be to make one trimmed down by self, since by that you would know what to keep and what to remove/substitute in the image itself

and yes you may use the tool winflip

with winflip you may slipstream thing you wish into the iso and also remove it from there...

• I don't think there is a minimal version of windows, just go for XP or 98 would be my suggestion

• There's not really a minimal ISO. Older versions of Windows are smaller though. XP is about 700mb (or so).

• Our Windows Server 2008 R2 x86_64 Standard Edition LIGHT ISO contains the following:

• Windows Desktop Environment (Graphical Administration)
    • No drivers whatsoever (explicitly KVM VirtIO + Basic VGA + IDE)
    • No printer, scanner, file sharing sub-system (WIndows Search, WMP Share, etc.)
    • No client for Microsoft Network, or local device enumeration / discovery.
    • No QoS Scheduler or IPv6 GRE/Tunnel (normal IPv6 still works.)

All features can be re-installed from the full ISO media, mounted after installation. However, the installation process itself and the system you are left with is quite basic and very lean for Windows Server 2008 R2.

We have been able to strip the system down to approximately 1.2GB installation, 4.1GB installed. We are still working to see if it is even possible to remove more "crud" without hampering functionality (such as allowing IIS to still be installed, which requires a lot of things we would like to remove.)

We also do our system automation and such through the Windows ADK:

screenshot

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Search for Tiny7 or MicroXP

• Make you own: http://www.nliteos.com/

Nlite worked great when I first got an EEE PC, managed to trim all the fat out of XP.