Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your demand for KVM, OpenVZ, Xen.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your demand for KVM, OpenVZ, Xen.

SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
edited February 2012 in General

List what you like the most, or what you would order most likely in a list.

Eg.
-KVM
-OpenVZ
-Xen

I just want to see what most of the community wants.
I think everyone will benefit from this post :)

Comments

1. Xen
    2. KVM
    3. OpenVZ
  • AmfyAmfy Member
    edited February 2012

On a provider:
    1. Xen (Oversold thing... best ram management, possible swap support)
    2. KVM (own kernel)
    3. OpenVZ (most oversold :/)

On own server
    1. Xen / OpenVZ (no really overhead)
    2. KVM

• @Amfy you can use your own kernel on Xen as well.

• @Clinton but only on XEN HVM?

• @Amfy Xen PV and Xen HVM.

• KVM
    Xen-HVM
    OpenVZ
    Xen-PV

1. KVM
    2. OpenVZ
    3. Xen

I've little experience with Xen, but don't really see a reason to use Xen-PV or Xen-HVM over OVZ/KVM. I may even take OVZ over KVM in some situations if the provider manages their nodes really well.

• That feel when LET is used as marketing groud.

1. KVM
    2. openvz
    3. xen

xen isn't really that much better than ovz to justify the costs

1. KVM
    2. XEN
    3. OpenVZ
  • Would also like to here what others have to say.

Personal preference .
    1.KVM
    2.openvz
    3.xen

1. OpenVZ
    2. KVM
    3. XEN

As long as the OVZ provider knows what he's doing on the physical node, then OVZ is what I'd always use.

• 1 ) Xen - because providers that I have Xen VPS with are the only providers that are giving me uptimes of over a year on a low end box. Don't know what it is about Xen and uptime - maybe these providers could do just as well w/ uptime if they used something else.

2) KVM - like Xen, I'm getting a lot of uptime on my KVM VPS , just hasn't built up to over a year yet on any of them, but its slowly getting there.

3) OpenVZ - I guess if the provider knows what they are doing it could have good uptime, but even the ones who know what they are doing cant leave their nodes the f alone. What is it with OpenVZ and providers hellbent on doing frequent updates/patches that require them to reboot the nodes - and when they aren't rebooting them on purpose for patches/updates they are freezing up and rebooting on their own.

• fanfan Veteran

1 ) Xen PV: No Windows means more reliability and less abusers;

2 ) KVM or Xen HVM: Full virtualization means more flexibility but may attract abusers, especially those allows Windows and do not monitor the resource usage at a regular basis;

3 ) OpenVZ: Mediocre for me, if the provider is good, reliable and able to maintain a constant performance, I don't have any problems with that.

• 1) KVM - I think kvm has much to offer for cloud computing and i feel is the one i am most comfortable with
    2) Xen - I love both kvm and xen because it allows the average customer to load their own kernel modules and run their own kernels and they both stop people from exploiting the kernel and gaining access to the node! :)
    3) OpenVZ - I do not like the ways customers have to ask for kernel modules loaded and if the host takes a long time to reply to tickets it's even worse also the way all the vm's share the same kernel which allows people to exploit the kernel and gain access to the node is not something i am comfortable with..

1. Xen PV - Very reliable.
    2. KVM - Very good for running your own kernel and whatever distro you want.
    3. OpenVZ - Loading modules is a pain, NTP time is a pain, VPNs are a pain.
  • 1) Xen PV - Works nicely, no real issues with it. I like the feeling of a little more isolation as well. ;)

2) OpenVZ - There's limitations, sure, but it's usually priced accordingly and on a properly managed node, it's great.

3) KVM - Putting KVM after OpenVZ? I'll direct myself out. :P I have my own KVM VPS and helped people with others, but it's still #3 for a while for me.

• @fan said: 2 ) KVM or Xen HVM: Full virtualization means more flexibility but may attract abusers, especially those allows Windows and do not monitor the resource usage at a regular basis;

Not really an issue since VMs are pretty well isolated.

• @Bitcable said: Not really an issue since VMs are pretty well isolated.

Hmm... So I can extrude hard my CPUs in KVM? :D

• In no particular order:

1. Xen
    2. KVM
    3. VMware

Wait, I'll simplify that list: anything but OpenVZ.

OpenVZ is way too limiting in what can be done in the VPS.

Thanked by 1tux