Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Linux Command Line - free ebook
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The Linux Command Line - free ebook

earlearl Member
edited November 2013 in General

Hey, stumbled upon this and thought it may be helpful to share.. Maybe too basic for some of you but it's free..

The Linux Command Line

A Book By William Shotts!

Designed for the new command line user, this 537-page volume covers the same material as LinuxCommand.org but in much greater detail.

In addition to the basics of command line use and shell scripting, The Linux Command Line includes chapters on many common programs used on the command line, as well as more advanced topics.

Download Link:

downloads.sourceforge.net/project/linuxcommand/TLCL/13.07/TLCL-13.07.pdf

Virustotal Scan:

https://virustotal.com/en/url

Comments

• Thanks! 537 pages, there's bound to be something new to me lol.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@DigitalDuke said:
    Thanks! 537 pages, there's bound to be something new to me lol.

hopefully.. if not maybe good for a reference

• Looks good, could be useful for learning as well as reference. Thanks!

Thanked by 1earl
  • cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

Great stuff! keep sharing

Thanked by 1earl
  • Thanks for sharing. :D

Thanked by 1earl
  • thanks guys, appreciate the positive comments.. hope you guys enjoy the book :)

• Many thanks! Great document!

Thanked by 1earl
  • nice.....

Thanked by 1earl
  • good book for me. very detail and easy to understand.
    thanks for sharing

Thanked by 1earl
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

thanks for this share

Thanked by 1earl
  • smansman Member
    edited November 2013

Oh boy. A 537 page book about Linux command line. Sounds like a facinating page turner people will not be able to put down.

Page swiper in ebook speak I guess.

Thanked by 1earl
  • Thanks a lot. Finally, i can start learning a few commands :)

Thanked by 1earl
  • @sman said:
    Oh boy. A 537 page book about Linux command line. Sounds like a facinating page turner people will not be able to put down.

Page swiper in ebook speak I guess.

Yeah it's a real mouse scroller that for sure! lol

• Thanks for sharing. :D

Thanked by 1earl
  • So did anyone read the book yet?

been scrolling through briefly and so far I'm only on page 72 lol! can't wait to get to networking part, but that is page 195. lol.

• Thank you very much. Just downloaded it and will transfer it to my pad to look through tonight. Good reference material and nice to have a copy. :-)

Thanked by 1earl
  • @AuroraZ said:
    Thank you very much. Just downloaded it and will transfer it to my pad to look through tonight. Good reference material and nice to have a copy. :-)

yea it's not a bad book.. IMO easier to read than those "for dummies book" pretty much to the point.

• earl said: yea it's not a bad book.. IMO easier to read than those "for dummies book" pretty much to the point.

I have those going back to DOS for dummies lol. I collect and read some pretty obscure things sometimes.

I am a firm believer in the right to information and the more you have the better prepared you are in any situation.

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@AuroraZ said:

Yup, same here i have so many tech books from the 90's that some looks like it's a 2k page book lol.. but i finally gave them up to goodwill.. problem was i like buying the book but never really read most of the ones i buy.

• woa, nice book! I will download it later

• About 2 months ago I decided I needed to take learning the Bash CLI seriously and found this exact book. So far its a great reference, entertaining to read and easy to learn from.

• There goes my free time... a great read so far will deinitely come in handy teaching a few friends to use linux.

• Awesome, sure, it will be a handy reference tool other than Google...

• Nice share, at least much we learn then so much we forgot... This will be great for memorial

• That it needs a virus scan in the first place...

• @Rallias said:
    That it needs a virus scan in the first place...

Better safe than sorry..

https://www.google.com/#q=sourceforge+malware&spell=1

Glad everyone is enjoying the book..