Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should we deprecate Debian Squeeze 6.x?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should we deprecate Debian Squeeze 6.x?

edited November 2013 in General

Hi Folks,

With Debian 7 now released and out there for a good few months, do you think it would be a good idea for us to deprecate Debian 6 from our template server? I know that customers like choice, but I don't like spinning up VPSs from images that are open to security holes etc..

Perhaps there's some important software that isn't compatible with 7 yet. If this is the case, I'm very interested to hear it!

So, what's the consensus? Leave it there for choice, or get rid of it?

Cheers

Jonny

Evorack.com

Comments

• If it's still supported and has updates released for it, there's no reason to remove the template. Some things might not work on Debian 7, which means clients need to use Debian 6. Providers still have CentOS 5 templates available, even though CentOS 6 has been available for quite some time.

• Yes, I agree with you on the CentOS 5 point. We ourselves still have a CentOS 5.x image available. However, CentOS 5 is still supposed for now and there are a lot of changes between 5 and 6 (at least there appeared to be quite a few problems with the migrations that I'm aware of). However, I'm not aware of any trouble with Debian 6 --> 7, hence this post - so very keen to hear :)

• Debian 6 will be supported till May 2014

• awsonawson Member
    edited November 2013

As long as security updates are still provided by Debian for 6.0, then it should be fine.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianOldStable

• serverian said: Debian 6 will be supported till May 2014

Cool, answers the questions perfectly! We'll leave it until then I suppose

Thanks

• You should really have it until it is a minority of your user base. Let the users decide. Provide them choice. At most add a warning.

• some of the stuffs i use doeant work on 7 so im one of tge odd statiatics that still support d6.w

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

From what i see many people still use 6. TBH i use it too, but not because my stuff does not work on 7, I am just lazy to upgrade as long as security updates are provided and stuff works why upgrade. Chances are it will break in some months and will have to reinstall anyway.