Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Samsung 840 EVO-Series
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Samsung 840 EVO-Series

letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
edited September 2013 in General

Hay,

Ok, The new Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series, There is anyone test in Raid10?
Interesting pretty and Fast! But Looks like there is software issue there!

Sequential Read Speed 540 MB / Sequential Write Speed 520 MB / Random Read Speed 98K / Random Write Speed 90K

Comments

• What software issue?

• i dont have one in raid 10

but im using it for my main SSD

this is what I get running the Samsung bench test

not one issue i've had thus far ... been using it for a while now (since day it came out)

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@xset said:
    What software issue?

I don't know, i read some review they have issue but not sure what is.

@doughnet said:
    i dont have one in raid 10

but im using it for my main SSD

this is what I get running the Samsung bench test

not one issue i've had thus far ... been using it for a while now (since day it came out)

looks Good! I'm looking to provide SSD as soon as my vPanel v2 coming!.

• That is some fast drive... I thought my macbook air 2013 had fast ssd 750 MB/s :)

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@xset said:

That is some fast drive... I thought my macbook air 2013 had fast ssd 750 MB/s :)

Unfortunately only due to the cache and only on Windows, that is. Not on RAID and not on any other OS.

edited September 2013

@Abdullah said:
    Unfortunately only due to the cache and only on Windows, that is. Not on RAID and not on any other OS.

RAPID Mode Maybe?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

1056 MB/s ?! Wow!

@netomx said:
    1056 MB/s ?! Wow!

I guess due RAPID Mode?!

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Anyone use these connected to an LSI hardware controller yet?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@key900 said:
    I guess due RAPID Mode?!

You mean RAID?

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Yes it is because of the rapid mode which uses some type of caching (haven't done a lot of reading). The drive is actually around 500MB/s itself. The caching mode is only available on Windows and does not support RAID.

In LSI or any other RAID, it will be ~500MB/s.

@netomx said:
    You mean RAID?

Rapid Mode Cache I guess.

@Abdullah said:
    Yes it is because of the rapid mode which uses some type of caching (haven't done a lot of reading). The drive is actually around 500MB/s itself. The caching mode is only available on Windows and does not support RAID.

500MB/s not bad :)

One thing is for sure, you can't beat the price of the EVO series. Cheap!!

• MatiMati Member
    edited September 2013

@key900 said:
    Windows on Mac

he is talking about Samsung 840 EVO and "RAPID" caching, which uses up to 1GB of your RAM to speed up access to some data, thus you see some weird results over 1000MB/s what is faster than SATA can achieve. Anyway you need software to enable that and this software is available only for Windows.

PS. looks like I took quite long to write and many people answered before :P

• Don't rain on my parade (my EVO SSD speeds)

it's what gets me through the day (kidding, or am i...)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:

TLC are less expensive (samsung did experience with the 840 basic) but depend more on software features. So I would wait a little more before adopting them in massive deploy ;-)

edited September 2013

@Abdullah said:

:) To late :-P

@jbiloh said:

And 1TB :-O

@prometeus said:
    TLC are less expensive (samsung did experience with the 840 basic) but depend more on software features. So I would wait a little more before adopting them in massive deploy ;-)

We pretty much stick to Intel. Their reliability can't be matched.

@jbiloh said:
    We pretty much stick to Intel. Their reliability can't be matched.

yes they are good, we used a lot of intel last year.

@prometeus said:
    yes they are good, we used a lot of intel last year.

The 3500's are kind of a downer compared to the 520s.

@jbiloh said:
    The 3500's are kind of a downer compared to the 520s.

agree, the 520 is very good :-)

• The 840 Evo doesn't have power protection. Also it isn't even 500mb/s. That too is a result of the "slc" cache on it. It's just an 840 with extreme caching everywhere. If you use it in raid and in a server the cache might wear out fast and it'll degrade back to the slow speeds.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

I am interested in getting 4 of these to run in RAID10 on a Dell SAS 6/iR controller. Does anyone have experience with the Samsung SSDs on these older controllers? The 840s seem to have had some issues with newer Dell controllers (like the H710p) but am not sure about these older generation of controllers...

@Oliver said:
    I am interested in getting 4 of these to run in RAID10 on a Dell SAS 6/iR controller. Does anyone have experience with the Samsung SSDs on these older controllers? The 840s seem to have had some issues with newer Dell controllers (like the H710p) but am not sure about these older generation of controllers...

We've found SSDs to be so touchy with RAID controllers that it's never worth it to go with something that isn't proven. We even hesitate to use Samsung stuff.

What about using them with mdadm instead of using the hardware RAID controller?

@Oliver said:
    What about using them with mdadm instead of using the hardware RAID controller?

Probably lower risk but you give up a ton of performance without the hardware controller with lots of onboard cache.

Get yourself an LSI 9271 w/ Cachevault and 4 x 480 Intel 520's and you'll be really happy.

It'd be for a Dell server in my case so I have less flexibility with controller models (since the drives would be replacements and not for a new system).

Overall I imagine the performance will still be significantly better than 7200 or 10000rpm drives and the reduced power consumption is the other significant advantage which I am looking for (more than anything else to be honest).

I have Intel 520 series in another server in RAID10 on a Dell H710p (LSI 2108 chip I think) and performance is fine.

• Anyone ended up using this in LSI raid? Just curious.