Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu Server 13.04 WordPress Installation Problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu Server 13.04 WordPress Installation Problem

mahbubmahbub Member

Hello,

I just setup ubuntu server 13.04 in virtualbox. I setup LAMP and trying to install wordpress. For installing wordpress I follow this tutorial : http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/07/how-to-install-wordpress-on-ubuntu-13-04-server/

All the process is done without any error. In the tutorial it says after finish installtion go to my-ip/wp-admin/install.php

I follow this but it returns that not found. Screenshot: http://oi40.tinypic.com/35a7i2x.jpg

But when I access the server via ftp I found a wordpress folder in home/mahbub directory. [mahbub is my root username]

Location is: home/mahbub/wordpress

Then I am trying to access in that way: my-ip/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php but I get same error.

Can you please tell me what is the problem?

Thank you,
Mahbub Alam

Comments

• Maybe you should put your wordpress file under /var/www/ dir instead of your home dir,I'm not sure,just give it a try.

• try ip/wordpress/wp-admin/

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited August 2013

:

• BayuBayu Member

Move your wordpress folder from /home/mahbub/ to /var/www/ if you using apache.

• ln -ls /home/mahbub /var/www

• @isy44h112 said:
    ln -ls /home/mahbub /var/www

That's not going to work. That's a security vulnerability that was long since, patched. Unless both directories are directly oned by the web user, in which case that would be one vulnerable shit site indeed.

• @joelgm said:
    That's not going to work. That's a security vulnerability that was long since, patched. Unless both directories are directly oned by the web user, in which case that would be one vulnerable shit site indeed.

I wonder to know,Would it be OK if I create a www folder in /home/mahbub/ and restrict php scripts in this folder with modify php.ini open_basedir option?

• @putaoren said:

You'd probably need Aliases in apache conf files. Not a good idea though. Webroot restrictions are placed for a reason. Any reason why you cant use /var/www or /var/www/html hierarchy?

• @joelgm said:

Don't give him a headache :-P

cat /etc/apache2/sites-available/default to find out your document root

• Have a look at this tutorial

• @Bayu said:
    Move your wordpress folder from /home/mahbub/ to /var/www/ if you using apache.

How can I move?

• @mahbub said:
    How can I move?

Why do you have a VPS? Why not a shared hosting?

• @joelgm said:
    Why do you have a VPS? Why not a shared hosting?

He doesn't have a VPS. Note he talks about virtual box. Mahbub has been experimenting with Linux on virtual box to learn.

@mahbub: What isn't right is that you haven't learned the basics. Learn basic linux commands and linux file permissions first and then how to configure apache and mysql. After you've learned all this you can start worrying about installing WP.

• Or he can get a shared hosting with one of those one click cpanel templates.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited August 2013

mv /home/mahbub/wordpressfolder/* /var/www/

This pretty much moves anything inside wordpressfolder to the www directory.