Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Picking a VPS... Hostigation vs. Secure Dragon vs. BuyVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Picking a VPS... Hostigation vs. Secure Dragon vs. BuyVM

daemondaemon Member
edited January 2012 in General

I am moving away from a bloated (cPanel) an expensive VPS (ServInt) and would like to optimize it as much as (nginx, no control panel). I am narrowing it down to two choices that seems strong on these boards, Hostigation, BuyVM or Secure Dragon.

It will actually host 4-5 sites that gets low traffic (less than 100 visitors / day each).

I am posting to see if anyone had experience with both hosts. The priority are:

• Reliable (no unplanned downtime)
  • Support in case of messup (I'm learning to self-admin the VPS and would like someone to be willing and fast to help in case I mess up the OS or lock myself out...)
  • Ease and speed of upgrade to larger package as sites growth
  • Value

I am looking at the 128 or 256 MB Xen/KVM plans...

Thanks!

Comments

• I have servers with both Hostigation (a backup VPS) and SecureDragon at the moment and so far (about two months with SecureDragon and a couple of weeks with Hostigation) there has been no problems. Haven't had much contact with support or have i changed plan but the value of both is great. :D

Since BuyVM is out of stock most of the time I guess you will have to go with Hostigation or SecureDragon.

• All 3 of the companies you listed will provide everything in your priority list. So the best thing to do here: pick the one with the name you like the best :)

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • fanfan Veteran

Assuming all of the mentioned providers have the same quality of support, , the best resource/dollar ratio goes to BuyVM, but no stock available currently.

Hostigation's KVM is also very nice.

I have services with both providers, you won't go wrong with them.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Our stock shortages will be coming to an end this year.

YOU HEAR MEEEEEEEE? :D

Francisco

Thanked by 1mikho
  • I vote Hostigation, but only because I haven't tried Securedragon (yet). That said, @KuJoe over at SD seems a nice guy, and smart to boot ;)

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @daemon said: - Reliable (no unplanned downtime)

That's a tough one. Every host has unplanned downtime. The three hosts you've selected are reliable, but poop happens...

• Support in case of messup (I'm learning to self-admin the VPS and would like someone to be willing and fast to help in case I mess up the OS or lock myself out...)

An unmanaged KVM VPS is a very different thing from a fully-managed Virtuozzo VPS at Servint. A good unmanaged provider will give you the access & recovery tools to work with, along with some tips & pointers to help you along. But administering your VPS is your job, not theirs. Administration takes time, and time is money -- something you're not paying a lot of with a budget provider :)

OpenVz will probably give you an environment most like Virtuozzo, with many things controlled by the host node and thus managed by the provider. KVM will be the most different as it is full hardware virtualization. Xen PV is kinda in between....

• Ease and speed of upgrade to larger package as sites growth

OpenVz can be readily upgraded. With KVM some things are not readily upgraded in situ -- like disk space -- though the providers may have ways of doing it. I think you should put this question directly to the providers -- can a KVM / Xen Plan A be upgraded to Plan B? What's involved?

• @sleddog
    I think you nailed it saying I will have access to recovery tools!

• @sleddog said: can a KVM / Xen Plan A be upgraded to Plan B? What's involved?

No comment about Xen, hasn't been long enough to forget, too soon to want to remember. To upgrade disk in KVM, what I do is lvextend your space on the host, and you can then use gparted to extend it in your VPS, I provide the System Rescue CD as a ISO to be mounted as a recovery tool and it is packed with apps.

Even easier is use LVM inside your VPS then just partition the new space and add it to the PV and lvextend as needed.

Thanked by 2daemon Asim
  • @Francisco said: Our stock shortages will be coming to an end this year.

and will be right back after an hour. :)

• fanfan Veteran

@Francisco said: Our stock shortages will be coming to an end this year.

You must be lying! XD

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@sleddog said: can a KVM / Xen Plan A be upgraded to Plan B? What's involved?

Xen PV is similar to how @mitgib said for KVM: lvextend, resize2fs, then reboot VPS via SolusVM.

Thanked by 2daemon Asim
  • All providers are great. Even though BuyVM has been out of stock but if you contact them they might have a place to fill in (from cancellation/terminations etc).

All three are un-managed BUT they will help you in your issues (not a guarantee, its their nice trait but not a compulsory one; dont come crying if they dont help :P :D haha)

• All three are the top cream of the crop for budget unmanaged virtual private servers. I have vps's with both BuyVM and SecureDragon, and both are very good for the price point. Please remember what you are buying though, and do not expect hand holding.

• I like SecureDragon. They’re Grrrrreat!

• tuxtux Member

@Asim said: Even though BuyVM has been out of stock but if you contact them they might have a place to fill in (from cancellation/terminations etc)

I have asked this many times but I always received this reply from bzImage

Please refer to http://wiki.frantech.ca/index.php/Stock for stock questions/status.

For live stock availability please refer to http://doesbuyvmhavestock.com

@fan said: You must be lying! XD

We're looking to stock at least 1 - 2 full nodes a month. We won't be bringing a lot of OpenVZ out, but we're looking at doing a bunch of KVM each month.

We're also gearing up to get a test offering on the east coast :)

Francisco

• @Francisco said: We're also gearing up to get a test offering on the east coast :)

Would we be able to migrate to the East Coast when it comes up?

@herbyscrub said: Would we be able to migrate to the East Coast when it comes up?

Migrating KVM is a pain in the balls. You could signup & cancel the box in SJ or what have you :)

Francisco

• @Francisco said: We're also gearing up to get a test offering on the east coast :)

Please give an ip for testing ;)

• fanfan Veteran

@Francisco said: We're looking to stock at least 1 - 2 full nodes a month. We won't be bringing a lot of OpenVZ out, but we're looking at doing a bunch of KVM each month.

Great. Which east coast DC will you go with?

Not 100% sure yet, but we'll see :)

• Get KVM with BuyVM or Hostigation (both are excellent).
    If you want a minimal install have a look at my Minstall, it does the lot in maybe 20-35 MB of RAM :)

• All 3 providers are great, you can't go wrong with any of them.