Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo VPS testimonials: good, bad, ugly or what?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo VPS testimonials: good, bad, ugly or what?

Hello folks,

I was searching for a good cheap largish disk space (>=100GB) and RAM (>=2GB) VPS provider preferably in the Netherlands in ServerBear, but then looked at German ones and found Contabo's VPS-M offer for EUR 9.99.

I've been searching LEB and LET for recommendations/testimonials on Contabo, but found pitifully few.

What can you folks tell me?

Comments

• They're fine, i had a VPS with them with Windows about 2 years ago, had it for 6 months and had no downtime and the performance was decent, but not as good as some other (more expensive) hosts here

• LukeTLukeT Member

I got one of their VPS-M VPS's when they had free setup,I found at times that the network would go extremly slow (to a point that SSH would take a while to respond) . Other than that it seemed pretty stable, having one core does limit what you can do with all the ram though..

• MuZoMuZo Member
    edited July 2013

I've never buyed anything from them but they was know as giga-hosting and I heard bad reviews about them.
    Also 30 euro setup fee

• Found some negative reviews from the past. I almost signed up for a VPS of Contabo, but the 30 euro setup fee scared me away.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

The owner of contabo also owned euros4click, a German advertising network, he ran away with a lot of money back in the days.

You can find more if you search for "euros4click gigahosting" (gigahosting was renamed to contabo), but the news are in German so you should use a translator.

I would recommend everybody to stay away from contabo.

Thanked by 2Blanoz ndlong75
  • I had a Giga-Hosting VPS, about two years ago I guess, 2GB €10/month, worked fine for 6 months, no downtimes at all.

I/O was average, ~80MB/s - watch out for the bandwidth limits, though.

Nothing else to say so far.

• Had a few VPSes with them, no downtime but don't expect much when it comes to CPU.So go for it if your CPU usage is gonna be very low.But now I have moved all my data to Altinsoft's France VPSes, no setup fee & high specs at lowest possible prices.Having great time with them for more than an year now :)

• VPSSimonVPSSimon Member
    edited July 2013

I have helped several friends who have VPS servers at contabo, An there service seems to be really good. Panel is nice an clean; Network stability is perfect; An 0 downtime.

I would personally say they are a decent VPS provider. Only complaint i would have giving a none biased review, Is there lack of additional IP's when configuring plan If that can be done afterwards not sure.

But overall they are really good

a Friend let me use his quickly to grab stats just now.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/output.img bs=8k count=256k

262144+0 records in

262144+0 records out

2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 15.2087 s, 141 MB/s

So if you made a choice to opt with them, I really doubt you will receive any negative comments in regards to contabos vps services or support.

• VallVall Member
    edited July 2013

Summary so far:

• joodle: good, but performance not as good as the best ones;
    • LukeT: fine, but sometimes network was really slow;
    • Muzo: no direct experience but saw negative reviews in previous name (giga-hosting), also didn't like EUR30 setup fee.
    • DennisdeWit: ditto
    • tr1cky: no direct experience but cited questionable dealings by euros4click (ad company from the same owner).
    • Chauffer: good experience with previous name (giga-hosting), no downtime in 6mo, 80MB/s disk I/O speed [not bad, but not great either];
    • Sledger: good experience re estability (no downtime), but slow CPU.
    • VPSSimon: real good ongoing experience with many friend's VPSs, stable and quite acceptable disk I/O speed (141MB/s). Advised to check beforehand if planning on more than one IP.

So, 8 opinions, 3 with no direct experience but knew of past problems (either with giga-hosting or affiliated euros4click); this leaves 5 reviews with direct experience; of these, all 5 say it's stable network- and server-wise, 4 felt it was slow in one way or the other (CPU, network or disk), and 1 didn't mention any issues.

Anyone else cares to comment?

• It is really highly unlikely you will find any neg comments against them at all. They seem to be doing quite well.

• VPSSimonVPSSimon Member
    edited July 2013

As i can read from them, It appears when under DDOS they do nullroute an it causes issues, Plus some of topics are those buying unmanaged yet expecting a managed service.

I personally say them reviews do not apply to contabo vps services, As there terms are quite clear, He asked any complaints about them, In terms of uptime problems or hardware problems or support problems, Not if they stick to there terms when under ddos.

I agree alot of bad reviews in regards to suffering ddos, But if you are risk of being ddos'd use cloudflare, If uptime is a must then upgrade to cloudflare business which has an 2500% SLA agreement. An they do protects attacks as large as needed, Free users only upto 1gbps then they will disable protection as they ant impacting network for free users.

For any normal usage (Excluding being attacked by DDOS) contabo seem to provide a reasonable service for a host, An as i work for a VPS Company; I should be finding reason to critize but i can't from speaking with friends who rent vps's services there an have done for some considerable time; I personally do stick to my orginal opinion of "They are quite a good provider"

Also note : Out of reviews you posted i checked few an they mainly relate to dedicated servers, He asked about VPS services.

• MuZoMuZo Member

yes, I just posted few reviews I found on the first google page to show you that

It is really highly unlikely you will find any neg comments against them at all. They seem to be doing quite well.

isn't true.

I can't really comment on this provider since I never bought anything from them, I always heard bad reviews and also the setup-fee don't make me want to buy something from them.

• VallVall Member

@VPSSimon said:
    Only complaint i would have giving a none biased review, Is there lack of additional IP's when configuring plan If that can be done afterwards not sure.

I've been reading their FAQ, at http://contabo.com/?show=faq#27 they say it's simply not possible:
    "We unfortunately do not allocate additional IP addresses to VPS."

Too bad. I don't need more than one IP right now, but it would be great to have the flexibility if I need to host more than one HTTPS site, for example.

• VallVall Member

Folks,

To sum it up, I'm passing Contabo: between the issues in their Giga-hosting/Euros4click previous incarnation, their unwillingness to supply additional IPs, and the fact that the VPS-M has only one core (which makes it hard to really use the additional RAM and disk space), coupled to the fact that they are not really that much inexpensive given the EUR 30 setup fee, I'm now considering VMBox.co (see my next post).

Thanks everybody for your opinions.

• Yep i did notice issue about single ip only, Which seems really odd an counter-productive for a vps host. No problem, opinions are what helps people decide.

• I'm really satisfied with contabo. I use a VPS for half a year and didn't have any problems yet. They are quite cheap, fast and reliable. Therefore, I had no contact with their support, but hope the will respond fast as soon as I run into any trouble.

• Their support in German language is amazing however in English it's regular. Their respond-times are quite fast (normally less than 2hrs 24/7) but quality differs from German and English language.

• Was having one VPS with them for 6-8 months. Ordered at some time with free setup. Network was sucks. It usually slow and it's down for 15 minutes every week. Last two weeks with them i have network down for 15-30 minutes few times a day. Very bad network. I won't use them for any uptime-critical projects and don't recommend to you.

• Their web page say their system is based on KVM. Can you install from your own ISOs?

• Yes, I think so but you have to contact support for it if the panel is not already updated.

• @rchurch said:
    Their web page say their system is based on KVM. Can you install from your own ISOs?

Nope!

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • What operating systems do they support?

Are they based on templates?

Can you configure your disks the way you want?

• @rchurch said:
    What operating systems do they support?

Are they based on templates?

Can you configure your disks the way you want?

You got a solusVM like old style panel. OS reinstall one click and thats all.

The server is stable , uptime is 100%

They use i7 920 processors...

Sometimes really slow the things because IO speed is shit. Sometimes 300mb/s

So...

• have you tried to install own or at least newest kernel, just to verify it is really kvm? ;-)

• janojanjanojan Member
    edited September 2014

I tried it since it's without setup fee now. I didn't do many tests on it, but one thing threw me off - their security attitude.
    You have KVM console over VNC which is:

1. Unencrypted
    2. VNC password that can never be changed (yes, there is no possibility to change it, I got that info from support).
    3. This password is also root password when in recovery mode.

I think that not creating simple web form in the user panel that gives user option to change the VNC password is just unacceptable, but hey, they are like 5 times cheaper than competition so they must be cutting corners here and there.

Plus the /proc/cpuinfo shows desktop CPUs (yes, I know it can be faked in KVM), which implies there is also probably non-ECC RAM, which is bad for stability.

I would still go for it if I needed very cheap, non-crucial storage option though.

Thanked by 1Blanoz
  • I asked their support and they said they have both, ECC and non-ECC hosts. If you wish to be on a ECC host you have to specify it when ordering.

• I had a VPS with them for over a year. I would buy again to use for some hobby projects but I wouldn't run any crucial services on their servers.

• @kontam said:
    I had a VPS with them for over a year. I would buy again to use for some hobby projects but I wouldn't run any crucial services on their servers.

We run gameserver on it and its work like a charm. Run very good. Also i installed interworx on it but.. its a bit slow. (Yeah interworx user interface not fast at hosthatch VPS too... so 1,2GB IO not enought haha)

What could i say about stability... its stable. Support is great and... the things are work.

For little jobs , or webhosting this is okay i think. But nothinh more big things.