Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time4VPS 200 IOPS limit
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Time4VPS 200 IOPS limit

ikkoupikkoup Member
edited June 2017 in General

Hi,

I'm not very "tech savvy" person, and I have a question about Time4VPS storage plan.
how limited is the 200 IOPS limit on the disk speed? is it only good for rarely-accessed backups? or can be used in production?
should I get a VPS for my website and then get Time4VPS storage server for the big files or the disk will limit the network output?

also, on thier website there's 50MB/s Disk limit, and 200 IOPS limit. what's the difference?

~ Thanks.

Comments

• ikkoupikkoup Member
    edited June 2017

@Caygri said:
    Here for you @time4vps

thanks.

on thier website there's 50MB/s Disk limit, and 200 IOPS limit. what's the difference?

• use it for anything other than its intended purpose and be disappointed.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

In a bunch of cases 200 iops is more than enough - but it really depends on the use-case.

But hey, it's cheap :-) What can you expect.

• Once I used to create daily backups of a server with 200 cPanel accounts, and backups worked fine.

cPanel server was also located in the EU.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2017

ikkoup said: <...>

200 IOPS / 50 MB/s is more than enough for storage VPS with rarely retrievable data. Just dump and forget + some increment additions. We do not recommend to use our storage solution for:

• Plex
    • CDN
    • Hot backups (daily restores)
    • illegal Torrents (just don't, we are not "DMCA ignorant")
    • Critical data storage (backup servers have no backups ;) )

In general: you get reasonably limited service with:

• Decent price. Yep, you can find better price, but for how long? And we are online 13+ years
    • Reliability and acceptable performance. Certain limitations allow us to fine tune service performance and reliability. Even with no backups, storage VPS has RAID. In 13 years of operation only few incidents were encountered where storage node data was corrupted beyond restoration point
    • Solid infrastructure. Our own, Tier III level data center allows us to offer solid infrastructure without "oops, there was no diesel generators to backup power failure..." or "oops, network cord was damaged and there is no internet connectivity..." failures
    • Knowledgeable support. Yes, we know what we are doing. Most of the time...

If you afraid that our service is not for you - 30 days money back guarantee will save your wallet. Don't hesitate, just take it... https://www.time4vps.eu/storage-servers

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • ikkoupikkoup Member
    edited June 2017

@time4vps said:

ikkoup said: <...>

200 IOPS / 50 MB/s is more than enough for storage VPS with rarely retrievable data. Just dump and forget + some increment additions. We do not recommend to use our storage solution for:

• Plex
    • CDN
    • Hot backups (daily restores)
    • Torrents (just don't, we are not "DMCA ignorant")
    • Critical data storage (backup servers have no backups ;) )

In general: you get reasonably limited service with:

• Decent price. Yep, you can find better, but for how long? And we are online 13+ years
    • Reliability and acceptable performance. Certain limitations allow us to fine tune service performance and reliability. Even with no backups, storage VPS has RAID. In 13 years of operation only few incidents were encountered where storage node data was corrupted beyond restoration point
    • Solid infrastructure. Our own, Tier III level data center allows us to offer solid infrastructure without "oops, there was no diesel generators to backup power failure..." or "oops, network cord was damaged and there is no internet connectivity..." failures
    • Knowledgeable support. Yes, we know what we are doing. Most of the time...

If you afraid that our service is not for you - 30 days money back guarantee will save your wallet. Don't hesitate, just take it... https://www.time4vps.eu/storage-servers

thanks for the detailed reply.

but can you tell me more about the difference between the 50MB/s and 200 IOPS?

and I'm planning to setup a seedbox at first to upload files from my PC to the server. (since torrent is the best protocol to upload large files in Libya, where we have multiple electricity fails and internet disconnection due to the political situation in here >:( ) but it's nothing too fancy, just few torrent files and 1 seeder only for some time.

then the files that I've uploaded will be accessed multiple times a month (not too much).

is that okay?

and YES, your prices are unbeatable, especially the annually/biannually plan!

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

ikkoup said: but can you tell me more about the difference between the 50MB/s and 200 IOPS?

IOPS. 50 MB/s is data transfer rate in and out of VPS. This means you can't write or read from disk faster than 50 MB per second (this limitation for storage VPS is big enough, don't be afraid, you should not reach 50% of it).

If files are legal and transferred via torrents - there is nothing wrong with that and definitely can be deployed on our storage VPS.

• ikkoupikkoup Member

@time4vps said:

ikkoup said: but can you tell me more about the difference between the 50MB/s and 200 IOPS?

IOPS. 50 MB/s is data transfer rate in and out of VPS. This means you can't write or read from disk faster than 50 MB per second (this limitation for storage VPS is big enough, don't be afraid, you should not reach 50% of it).

If files are legal and transferred via torrents - there is nothing wrong with that and definitely can be deployed on our storage VPS.

thanks for the fast reply.

gonna give you a run ;)

• @time4vps said:

>

Yes, we know what we are doing. Most of the time...

I start panicking...

• henkbhenkb Member

Guys, come on... 200 IOPS...
    Maybe good to know, that your average "normal / old" s-ata (spinning) drive is not getting 200 IOPS.

Maybe if you reading large files sequentially. But other then that.. Nope.

So 200 IOPS, is more then enough for normal usage, or just wait a little.

Thanked by 1vimalware