Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a VPS to be used as a private seedbox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a VPS to be used as a private seedbox

I am generally a pretty low-key user once I have everything set up. I'm also open to sharing something like a KS2G with someone if they already have one. (ruTorrent with rtorrent 0.8.6 is preferred)

What the VPS will be used for: - Private seedbox (private tracker only and the downloaded files are also hidden from public access) - Private VPN - Personal file storage (if I need to upload stuff when I'm away from home and it's too large or inconvenient to email)

Budget: Obviously as low as possible, but $15/month or less. I was most recently sharing a KS 2G with another member for $10.50-11/month and it worked out well. Before that, I had a great VPS (4GB RAM/300GB HDD/80TB BW/1Gbit) for $16/month.

Specs: OpenVZ is fine. Location - Preferably, OVH FR so that most of the traffic is internal to their network, but I'm open to other locations. HDD size - 500GB+, RAM - 1GB+, BW - 5TB+, Line - 100Mbit+.

In the past couple years of having a seedbox, I have never had even the whisper of a DMCA takedown notice.

Load and CPU usage are usually minimal (though load does increase initially when allocating space for a torrent) and RAM usage is usually <50MB (and consistently < 200MB).

I have come across a some posts mentioning 3 or 4 hosts here that have more of a laissez-faire policy when it comes to torrents, but thought I would throw this out there in case any other hosts is interested.

Please do not turn this into a discussion of what people download or from where. Among other things, I mainly TV shows because I'm rarely home and CBF to record them. I'm just looking for someone that wants to take my (easy) money and provide me with an agreed-upon service.

Comments

• @user123 - where did you find a VPS with 80 TB BW/1 Gigabit ? That's more
    like a dedicated server BW, haven't seen anyone offer that
    amount of BW on a VPS, or actually I know one in Finland with unlimited BW, 1 Gigabit BW, but it's 50 eur/month.
    Generally 1 TB BW costs 20 euros/month in Finland, so here it wouldn't be possible to offer, really at budget prices.

• Why not buy a kimsufi?

• @serverian - kimsufi 100 Mbps until 5 TB/month - then 10 Mb/s until next reset

• @finlandvps said:
    serverian - kimsufi 100 Mbps until 5 TB/month - then 10 Mb/s until next reset

It's bugged so you can use 100Mbps unmetered

• @serverian - but they can outright cancel your service based on overusage of BW?

• @finlandvps said:
    serverian - but they can outright cancel your service based on overusage of BW?

@rm_ knows better

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited July 2013

@finlandvps said:
    serverian - but they can outright cancel your service based on overusage of BW?

They don't cancel it, more like force your nic to 10base. As far their BHS datacenter goes, they don't seem to be able to monitor BW there very well, I've gone over by a few TB quite often. In France they seem to have got their act together, they can and do monitor BW usage and will cap you if you go over often.

• lumaluma Member

OVH to OVH traffic does not count. OVH to various peers does not count either. So with private torrents (since so many people use ovh) it is difficult to reach the 5TB cap. If all the dowloaders are outside the network though it can be reached of course but for ~20 a month you should give it a try.

• Try looking at https://sugoi.us/ or contact the provider @Tsume here for a quote. He is offering seedboxes afaik

• @luma said:
    OVH to OVH traffic does not count. OVH to various peers does not count either. So with private torrents (since so many people use ovh) it is difficult to reach the 5TB cap. If all the dowloaders are outside the network though it can be reached of course but for ~20 a month you should give it a try.

Yup, I regularly only see a couple hundred GB usage per month on my seedboxes on OVH's panels but push much more (according to tracker stats) because seriously everyone else is on OVH too

• Why is rtorrent 0.8.6 preferred? I knew people preferred different version for one reason or another, and I'm currently just distributing all my torrents over multiple deluged 1.3.6 instances, but miss rtorrent + rutorrent

• Im planning on buying a kimsufi tomorrow (also for seedbox) pm me maybe we can work something out

• @finlandvps I don't remember how I found them - probably the online friend of a friend knew of them or something. Anyway, their plans were much more expensive, but I got lucky and when I ended up getting my VPS, they were running a promotion where they doubled some of the specs. I never came close to even using 2TBs, though. lol

@serverian I don't want to go through the whole process of sending my documents in, etc.

@peppr Out of my price range. $20.75 for 100GB

@texteditor rtorrent 0.8.6 preferred because it's the only allowed version of rtorrent on a certain tracker

I prefer rtorrent/rutorrent because I have never been able to come close to maxing out a line's speed (even just bursting) with any other torrent client. I also want something that has a Web-based UI. I suppose these other clients are options, too: Transmission 2.03, Deluge 1.3.1, and Deluge 1.3.5.

• user123user123 Member
    edited July 2013

Anyone? :)

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@user123 said:
    Anyone? :)

We can provide it for your private Seedbox as long as no DMCA notice or overload at our system.

• @key900 said:
    We can provide it for your private Seedbox as long as no DMCA notice or overload at our system.

He clearly asked for 500GB+ of HD space.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@Bogdacutuu said:
    He clearly asked for 500GB+ of HD space.

We have no problem as long as paid for them.

• @key900 said:
    We have no problem as long as paid for them.

He wants $15/month or less

• TsumeTsume Member

I think you'll be hard pressed to find 500GBs of space under $15.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

wait what? 300GB Disk and 80TB @ gbit for $16? hahaha... good one.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • TravTrav Member
    edited July 2013

@Tsume What about Backupsy? 500GB for $7, or 1TB for $14 /month :P

Of course they won't allow seedboxes, but still.

• TsumeTsume Member

You also aren't allowed any heavy bandwidth use. I don't even think you get root. I could be wrong. So it levels out. They're a storage provider. Those prices tend to be lower since majority resource usage is different compared to seed boxing.

• @key900 - Thanks, but I think that you're probably out of my price range

@AnthonySmith - I'm not asking for 80TB, but I do need ~500GB HDD space and a few TB BW, That's why I'd be interested in sharing an OVH KS 2G if someone's going to get one.

@Tsume - see above - it is very doable by sharing an OVH box.

• Still looking for this, for anyone interested.

• @user123 go for seedroots. Com they providegood sseed box for cheap price.

• @thehray said:
    user123 go for seedroots. Com they providegood sseed box for cheap price.

You think the OP waited 3 month eagerly just for your response?

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • @ska said:
    You think the OP waited 3 month eagerly just for your response?

I just help. Y u bothered

• @user123 said:
    (ruTorrent with rtorrent 0.8.6 is preferred)

What the VPS will be used for:
    Private seedbox
    Private VPN

Budget: Obviously as low as possible, but $15/month or less.
    HDD size - 500GB+, RAM - 1GB+, BW - 5TB+, Line - 100Mbit+.

Load and CPU usage are usually minimal (though load does increase initially when allocating space for a torrent) and RAM usage is usually <50MB (and consistently < 200MB).

I am aware that this thread was first posted in early July 2013, but I "necropost" as information may help other users and further discussion.

I spent several hours researching. There are two strong contenders with products that suit your (and other readers) needs somewhat.

SEED.st: (no usage of public trackers allowed!!!)

$6/month
    100mbit/s download, 2MB/s average upload (notice the mbit vs MB, not sure if that was on purpose)
    100GB HDD
    Unlimited torrents/bandwidth

$10/month
    225GB-900GB HDD (I don't understand this)
    100mbit/s download, 4MB/s average upload

(Currently both the above plans are sold out so I can't research anymore from the original source. Though they seem to have free slots available every few days, so that's good)

DTSLeech:
    $11/month
    100mbit/s
    225GB Hard Drive
    shared with 1 other user on Intel Celeron/Atom 1.20GHz with 2GB Memory (may or may not be true) and unlimited bandwidth with fixed ("dedicated") IP

$16/month
    100mbit/s
    450GB Hard Drive
    Intel Celeron/Atom 1.60GHz with 2GB Memory
    Unlimited bandwidth with fixed ("dedicated") IP

$20/month <----------- this is ideal for you (but presumably out of most readers budgets)
    100mbit/s
    500GB HDD
    5TB Bandwidtth
    Intel Celeron/Atom 1.60GHz with 2GB Memory

Both seed.st and DTSLeech appear to be completely managed seedboxes rather than general VPS.

There appears to be a price leap between a general VPS (with a general linux install + user setup) vs a managed seedbox. Seedboxes are cheaper (maybe they can pack more users into each server given the typical usage profile known well ahead of time)

The suggestion of "backupsy" was interesting, but like some people said they ban torrents. Backupsy's very high bandwidth and storage capacity allowances are presumably due to the expected usage nature of the user backups (bursty traffic etc).

(I'm probably going to leap to the $6/month seed.st or the $11/month DTSLeech. For the last year I've been using buyvm.net (also called "frantech" for some reason), I've been paying $1.25/month ($15 a year), for a VPS with 30GB storage, 500GB bandwidth. I'm happy with the service - it was a great and low cost way to prove I would use a VPS, but I'm beginning to out grow the HDD space. I'd like 100GB-200GB storage so I won't have to download files as often, but unfortunately buyvm.net they don't offer that level of storage for competitive rates, so I'm planning to jump ship.)

Keep the recommendations coming though guys. Lowendtalk makes it quite difficult to create an account (have to wait 24 hours for a human to allow you in after signup :/), but I recommend people do sign up and write a post like I did haha

• Oh I just realized, I've been using buyvm's OpenVZ one, cheap but ultra expensive to upgrade storage.

They do have non OpenVZ stuff under the KVM / Windows tab with some more competitive deals: (I previously thought this was all Windows so ignored it - but the FAQ says BSD and Linux may be installed)

$7/month: (currently "sold out", just like seedbox.st above)
    250GB HDD
    256MB RAM
    2500GB bandwidth

$15/month: (fulfils OP's requirements AND price)
    500GB HDD
    512MB RAM
    5000GB bandwidth

I've only had experience with the low end buyvm stuff, so can't comment on quality. They don't say anything about bandwidth (presumably shit) I haven't ever got more than 4MB/s (ie ~24megabit/second) with them, but it may just be the torrents.

• If you are only interested in a seedbox then i suggest www.gbox.me

their price and service is really good.