Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Japan, GMO Cloud: 2GB RAM, 100GB disk KVM VPS for $10/mo (yearly)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Japan, GMO Cloud: 2GB RAM, 100GB disk KVM VPS for $10/mo (yearly)

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited May 2013 in Providers

Soo, let's continue our quest to find good VPS options in Asia :D (one recent finding being Ablenet)

Just stumbled upon this one:

KVM virtualization

3 virtual CPU cores
2 GB RAM
100 GB disk
"100 Mbps shared line, thank you for your use within reasonable bounds"

Some kind of high-availability/failover/"cloud" features mentioned, looks like they may be using an actual shared SAN and transparent migration, unlike some other "cloud"-hyping companies out there.

980 JPY per month when paid yearly (around $9.87 at the moment)

(I find it amusing that this plan is called Micro. With the next one, which includes 4GB of RAM and 200 GB disk, being Small.)

Looks like anyone can order, but they warn that only Japanese language is supported:

Those who can apply

Regardless of the individual and corporate, group, age, place of residence, you can apply for anyone. In addition, only Japanese, Languages ​​will be only Japan contact the telephone post.

http://japaneseclass.jp/ seems to be hosting there (not 100% certain), so a test IP is 203.189.96.21.

Anyone has tried them? any impressions?

Comments

• alexalex Member

there's a 15 days trial if you want to check it yourself: http://vps.gmocloud.com/order/trial.html

• Wow...The order page is colorful. Cant make out where to click!

• Btw...$10 per month for these specs isnt anything exotic. One of my boxes is a $7 pm MyRSK VPS with 2GB RAM, 200 GB HDD. It's not in Asia, but in Czech though.

• DalCompDalComp Member

@joelgm said: It's not in Asia

So now you know why it's quite "exotic".

• jcalebjcaleb Member

good deal!

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@joelgm said: Btw...$10 per month for these specs isnt anything exotic. One of my boxes is a $7 pm MyRSK VPS with 2GB RAM, 200 GB HDD. It's not in Asia, but in Czech though.

I don't think it is fair to compare a VPS to a cloud server with high availability features along with the Asian location.

• cynixcynix Member

I really wanted to try GMO Cloud. Too bad they don't support FreeBSD.

• @Abdullah said: @joelgm said: Btw...$10 per month for these specs isnt anything exotic. One of my boxes is a $7 pm MyRSK VPS with 2GB RAM, 200 GB HDD. It's not in Asia, but in Czech though.

I don't think it is fair to compare a VPS to a cloud server with high availability features along with the Asian location.

Maybe not, @Abdullah. I was under the impression that this was about a KVM VPS, not a cloud plan. My translator is feeling funny today.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

@joelgm said: I was under the impression that this was about a KVM VPS, not a cloud plan. My translator is feeling funny today.

It is a KVM VPS, but at the same time there is some failover feature, not easy to understand how transparent or how instant it is, though (e.g. requires a reboot?...). http://s.lowendshare.com/4/1367943530.440.2013-05-07T161814Z-failover.png

But that's all beside the point, what matters most is the location. This being in Japan vs yours in Czech makes worlds of difference, and specs like these are something that's beyond an awesome deal for Asia, even if this was just a regular KVM VPS.

• dnwkdnwk Member

GMO..... guess they don't have angry environmentalist

edited May 2013

Is there a limit communication?

For ICMP packets, is carrying out the limit at the top of our network data center, it is not possible to communicate PING confirmation from the external environment for VPS customers. In addition, we performed some restrictions port. If you are considering the use of a specific port, sorry to trouble you, but please contact us. (It does not provide port security list, which is open)

This, I don't like. Can't ping out from the VPS, what kind of restriction is that. Probably traceroute/mtr doesn't work either?..

• marcmmarcm Member

@rm_ Boss, my Japanese isn't what it used to be. Any chance that they have an English version of their web site?

edited May 2013

@marcm not a chance, if you are interested in dealing with them or with Ablenet, get Google Chrome (or Chromium) with its built-in translation feature, it can even translate stuff in HTTPS-only logged-in-only ordering forms and e.g. the VPS control panel, replacing all text with English directly in-place, without leaving the page.

• marcmmarcm Member

@rm_ - I wouldn't mind having a 2GB KVM VPS in that part of the world ;) Thanks for the tip.

• This is quite the interesting offer for the price, especially for the location. I'm anxious to hear more from other users about their VPS services. It also is quite odd that you are unable to ping (and most likely mtr/traceroute) from the VPS, and that you must contact them to open a port. Going to be hard to ask to open up a port if you do not speak Japanese! :P

Someone needs to order this and post their review :)
    Or take the 15 day trial. I probably won't myself, because I feel it's dishonest to get a trial when I'm certain I have no intention of actually buying. And I don't have it because I already signed up with Ablenet, and two JP VPSes for $10/mo each would probably be kind of too much for me. :)

• QiangQiang Member

Now is out of order

edited May 2013

The ordering links which point to vpsportal.gmocloud.com were inaccessible briefly, but now they seem to work fine again. What's unfortunate though, despite what I said above my Chromium actually fails to enable translation of those forms (while it worked with Ablenet's forms), so only an option to copy-paste stuff to http://translate.google.com/ remains.

P.S.: hm, and despite what they say in the FAQ, the ordering form seems to require a Japanese address :/

• rds100rds100 Member

No native Japanese in this forum?

• @Zen said: ※弊社より、お得な情報を送付します。

This is basically the same as 'Do you want to subscribe to our newsletter? We'll send good deals your way'

@Zen said: 希望する 希望しない

Yes / No, in the simplest of terms.

@Zen said: 不正な操作が検出されました

You're not authorized to do whatever it is you were trying.

• Setup fee would return to you up to May 10,hurry up.

• cynixcynix Member

@rm_ said: It is a KVM VPS, but at the same time there is some failover feature, not easy to understand how transparent or how instant it is, though (e.g. requires a reboot?...)

The failover is supposed to happen if the host machine goes down. They will supposedly automatically start up a new instance of your VPS on another host.

• Why won't they accept paypal?

This is frustrating =p

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2013

@cosmicgate said: Why won't they accept paypal?

PayPal is not popular in Japan, it is like the US where everyone has and uses one or multiple CCs.
    (which is now not THAT bad as Japan has MC/Visa as well and the restrictions on local cards are slowly lifted for merchants so we internationals can buy also)

• cynixcynix Member

@rm_ said: This, I don't like. Can't ping out from the VPS, what kind of restriction is that. Probably traceroute/mtr doesn't work either?..

You can ping out from your VPS, but you can't ping your VPS from the outside.

Also, disk space is limited to 10GB during the trial period, and is split into a 9GB main drive and a 1GB swap drive. Once billing starts you'll need to send a support request to add more space. Not sure if they simply enlarge the main drive to 99GB or add an extra 90GB drive to your VPS.

• cynixcynix Member
    edited May 2013

@rm_ said: Someone needs to order this and post their review :)

I just ordered one. Setup took less than 30 minutes.

You can't change the OS after you order (well, at least not through their control panel ;) ), so make sure you're happy with your selection during signup. Also they will automatically start billing you after 15 days unless you explicitly cancel the trial, unlike Ablenet who will automatically cancel the trial if you do nothing.

There are a few reviews in Japanese if you search for them. It seems the consensus is that GMO Cloud is targeted at people who prefer stability over performance. The CPU isn't as powerful as Ablenet's, IO performance is mediocre too. I think their biggest selling point is the automatic failover feature.

Also, it doesn't work with HE.net's TunnelBroker (same as Ablenet). They must be blocking 6in4 traffic or something.

edited May 2013

@cynix How did you register, all I see is a form that asks me in which Japanese Prefecture do I live, accepts ZIP code and Phone numbers strictly in the JP formats, etc?

edited May 2013

@cynix said: Also, it doesn't work with HE.net's TunnelBroker (same as Ablenet). They must be blocking 6in4 traffic or something.

Ablenet does in fact work with the HE.net tunnel broker, it was a derp-up on he.net's side. (I actually mailed ipv6 -at- he.net and they fixed it for me. It now works happily.)

• cynixcynix Member

@rm_ said: Ablenet does in fact work with the HE.net tunnel broker, it was a derp-up on he.net's side. (I actually mailed ipv6 -at- he.net and they fixed it for me. It now works happily.)

That's good to know. Do I need to tell them anything specific or just let them know it's not working and let them figure it out?